First AKG K701 impressions.
Jan 7, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #61 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
Jesus Christ, you've spent almost more time trashing Andrea and Canarino than you have wildly supporting the AKG K701.

No one's attacking it and yet you feel the need to defend it without cause or question.

And the drama importation is way, way uncool - you need to cut that out, the moderators have already warned you about that.

"Jesus Christ"???????????????
eek.gif
eek.gif

The moderators must be considered you for your swearword.
You are blasphemous....

S.

Jan 7, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #62 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradino
"Jesus Christ"???????????????
eek.gif
eek.gif

You are blasphemous....

S.

The yoke of guilt lies heavy on us all
rolleyes.gif

If God's got something to say about it he knows where to find me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I can't speak for anyone else, but this moderator is getting sick of this thread in general. With all of nit picky childishness and mindless arguing going on, I'm about to close it.

If everyone can get back to discussing the K701's maybe the thread will remain open.

That's an a-plus idea. Perhaps in its place a genuine, drama-free discussion thread can be made?

Jan 7, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #63 of 431
Quote:

I can't speak for anyone else, but this moderator is getting sick of this thread in general. With all of nit picky childishness and mindless arguing going on, I'm about to close it.

If everyone can get back to discussing the K701's maybe the thread will remain open.

Jan 7, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #64 of 431
Quote:

The yoke of guilt lies heavy on us all
rolleyes.gif

If God's got something to say about it he knows where to find me.

Is obvious that you don't believe in god but have respect for people that believes..

S.

Jan 7, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #65 of 431
Quote:

Is obvious that you don't believe in god but have respect for people that believes..

S.

This inane tangent is neither here nor there. You're doing it again.

Has anyone directly compared the AKG K701 with the K501? What are the primary differences, and how much of a sacrifice would it be going with the K501? Further, has anyone experienced the K601 to compare?

Jan 7, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #66 of 431
Quote:

You can expect it all you'd like, but that doesn't make it so I'm afraid. It's notably tighter than the aforementioned two.

You mean the HD650 has *more* clamping force than HD580/600?
basshead.gif
If so, I know what to avoid based on my personal idea of headphone comfort (and appreciate the input, you may have saved me money long term).

P.S. I can't compare K701 to K501, but the latter is notably light on bass compared to many other headphones. It's fine to my ears, because in the context of its own soundfield it is extremely coherent and the quiet bass "makes sense." It's only when you compare it to other cans that there's an issue, or if a recording itself is bass-shy.

Jan 7, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #67 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
basshead.gif
If so, I know what to avoid based on my personal idea of headphone comfort (and appreciate the input, you may have saved me money).

P.S. I can't compare K701 to K501, but the latter is notably light on bass compared to many other headphones. It's fine to my ears, because in the context of its own soundfield, it is extremely coherent. It's only when you compare it to other cans that there's an issue -- and if a recording is at all light on bass itself, watch out!

A help for a help, then - thank you. I'm not a
basshead.gif
, but I have to have audible bass with control and impact all the way down to 20Hz or it feels empty to me; it could be my bass sensitive ears. I can hear down to about 15Hz, though it rolls off sharply around 18. The HD650 have "just right" bass to me, while apparently some find it to be "too much." By way of comparison, the A900 have good impact but not as much extension (but what does?), the HD280 have good extension but severely lack impact, and the HD580 are as close as I had heard to "just right" before the HD650. The DT880 is also very good in this aspect.

Quote:

[size=xx-small]Headfi is a beautiful forum bat there are some people, anonymous, that are the cancer of forum and often them have some interest to spoken in some direction.[/size]

You're bonkers.
blink.gif

Jan 7, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #68 of 431
Quote:

A help for a help, then - thank you. I'm not a
basshead.gif
, but I have to have audible bass with control and impact all the way down to 20Hz or it feels empty to me;

I tested the K501 with bass tones, and it does go down extremely low; it's just that the bass is "quiet," as if you were at the back of the hall or a good distance away from a pair of speakers, and the soundstage presentation gels well with that impression. It's a very clean, well controlled bass but there is a definite roll-off in loudness. Hard to know how a given person is going to react, because it's a rather unique headphone in my experience. Some people instantly react with "they have NO bass!" and others (like myself) feel bass is sufficient for most genres. It does depend a lot on recordings, similarly to how DT880's treble will be sibilant and intolerable with certain recordings.

Jan 7, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #69 of 431
[size=xx-small]Headfi is a beautiful forum bat there are some people, anonymous, that are the cancer of forum and often them have some interest to spoken in some direction.[/size]

[size=small]Return to 3d i think that the 701 is an headphone that need to be listen for many time befor give a opinion (like 501).

This is charatheristic of many akg.

And for a good valutation is important to have an high quality audio system.

S.[/size]

Jan 7, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #70 of 431
Quote:

basshead.gif
If so, I know what to avoid based on my personal idea of headphone comfort (and appreciate the input, you may have saved me money long term).

Not really so -- the pressure on the skull seems a bit pronounced only when you first put them on, then after 5 minutes the headband's metal somehow relaxes and pressure settles to a level at which wearing the phones all day would be... a pleasure, well, provided that the music is playing.

Jan 7, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #71 of 431
Quote:

K701 and/or HD650 may be in my future somewhere, although frankly I'm wildly happy with DT880/K501 combo, with my inexpensive gear. Senn clamping force really bothers me a lot these days, I can hardly bring myself to even wear the HD580.

I wonder why you haven't found out how to regulate the clamping force yourself -- a bit of headband stretching now and then, some books in between when not in use... Mine sit quite loose on my head, which in turn can lead to a feeling of slight discomfort -- and probably a leaner bass than most HD-650 users/auditioners are used to.

Quote:

Both HD650/K701 sound to me like excellent headphones, with the edge going to personal preference. I wonder, with two systems (each tuned carefully to the particular headphone)... bet they would be on approximately equal footing. This is a guess of course, not having heard them myself... JaZZ, what do you think?

I can only guess as well, since I'm just at the beginning of my K 701 journey. I imagine that both are on the same level of neutrality and accuracy. The K 701 has the larger soundstage already, although I'm not sure it's better (more natural) per se. The HD 650 is still the more refined and atmospheric headphone with the finer grain and greater coherence, but I'm sure the K 701 will improve considerably. At the moment it can sound a bit bright and even shrill with some recordings. This after 24 hours.

Jan 7, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #72 of 431
Quote:

....Xenos, for me, the really fan boy, are you and friends (for sennheiser 650, of course..)

S.

Oh Gradino,
your post makes me believe that you did not understand what I have written.

I said (in plain words) that the K701s are better in soundstage and positioning than the HD650s, so what makes you believe I'm a HD650s fanboy ??
mad.gif

Maybe you should take a break, you don't seem to be able to react in a sensible way.

Jan 7, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #73 of 431
Guys, this cans needs POWER, so... go! Come on... turn up that volume knob and you will hear what the K 701 is capable to do.

Best!
Nicola

Jan 7, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #74 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
Guys, this cans needs POWER, so... go! Come on... turn up that volume knob and you will hear what the K 701 is capable to do.

I give it merciless power (and bass) during break-in, but during listening I don't feel the need for high volume levels.

Jan 7, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #75 of 431
I find the K 701 less fatiguin with higer volume than lower... first time I have experimented something like this...

The 701 is very detailed so even with a low volume you have the "impressions" to hear ALL, and yes this is right, but you are still using the can underpowered, go up, increase the volume and the osund will be warmer and more "analogical"... very balanced and equilibrated at both the extremes. Not the same with the HD 650 or the W 5000, so is not so easy to do a right/equal comparison with these 3 headphones...

My impression is that this can needs a muscolar amp ... very similar to the Qualia in this regard.

Best!
Nicola

Users who are viewing this thread

Back