Firmware 2.3 for Zune 30 & Zune 80
Dec 18, 2007 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Ricardo Dawkins

1000+ Head-Fier
Firmware update and fix online as we talk. Firmware 2.3

Quote:

Zune will be issuing a firmware update today. There are no new features in this update, but it does address some issues we’re reading about in the forums. Specifically the battery issue affecting a small percentage of Zune 30/80 GB users - I posted about this last week in case you missed it. In addition to the battery issue, this update provides some performance improvements:

* Improved device recognition
* Improved stability and reliability on sync (both wirelessly and while connected to a PC).

Start your Zune software and update

Dec 18, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 14
Nice. Thanks for the heads-up.

Seems to me like they sped up the GUI. It feels a whole lot smoother. Can anyone else confirm?

Edit: Also, have they tweaked the sound again? The soundstage feels wider. Is this all in my head?

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 14
UI does seem smoother, and the pictures show up immediately for me now. Before I used to click Pictures and it would take a full 2-3 seconds for them to refresh, not it's almost instant. Same with movie thumbnails.

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 14
Faster UI, fixes and such. Hoping for more battery life if any.

Dec 19, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 14
I want some tag editing, easier album art, and a few random power features in the software.

Biggest thing they can add for me on the player side is a delete function.

Update was a nice boost in speed...in fact the thumbnails load at one of the faster rates I have seen.

Dec 23, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 14
I've upgraded to the new firmware on my Zune 30 and still having battery issues. The battery still drains quickly at standby (holding down the play button). I still have to do hard power down (holding down back + up button). Anyone still having this problem after the firmware upgrade, or is another problem with my Zune 30?

Dec 24, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #10 of 14
Were we sure the update had no audio improvements? One of my favorite things is to dock my Zune 80 up to my LDII++ Tube Headphone Amp in the evening and listen for a while. After the update, I could swear there was a lower end improvement. It was enough to make me take notice. It could be I reached a "final plateau of maturity" for the player, I suppose. Any one else notice anything like that? Thanks! Happy Holidays!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #11 of 14
Funny this, I started up the zune SW tonight, hooked up the zune and went through settings to see if there was an update - it says my zune is up to date. It says its V2.2 - should it not be higher?

Fran

Dec 24, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by fran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny this, I started up the zune SW tonight, hooked up the zune and went through settings to see if there was an update - it says my zune is up to date. It says its V2.2 - should it not be higher?

Fran

Mine did the same thing, then, the next day, I did it again and it said there was an update and I clicked the button to upgrade it.
biggrin.gif
My Zune 80 says it is : Version 2.3 (1145), Bootloader 1040. Happy Holidays!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #13 of 14
Make sure the software is not syncing or doing something else. in fact. Close it and start it again.

Dec 26, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #14 of 14
Yeah, like Penchum, when I hooked it up the next day it updated. Maybe their servers were busy or something. Anyway, its updated now.
FWIW, this is a really nice player (30gb) with good SQ and easy to use. the zune software is a memory hog though. I do use an amp with it (ibasso T2) for my ER6i - and the sound is improved quite nicely by it. I think the amp is slightly warm, and thats exactly what the ER6i needs. I went for a long walk after dinner here today (Christmas dinner - waslk was needed) and although it was pissing rain at the time, the music was great!

Fran

Fran

Users who are viewing this thread

Back