Firestone BRAVO 24/96 USB transport w/o drivers + reclocker?
Dec 24, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #316 of 542

I like the Wireworld USB cable, its smooth sounding and really lets the info through with clarity.

Apparently Wireworld don't sell extension cords(necessary to connect to ADuM dongles), only A/A and B/B...and I trust verifiable tweaks, even though I agree that all USB cables don't sound the same somehow. I'm not paying $150 for a USB cable anyway.

I'd also fancy a gold plated high grade A/B adapter to put between the ADuM dongle and the Bravo, but there's only cheapo adapters for printers available on ebay.

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #318 of 542

Quote:
Didn't you just buy a Burson Headamp Dac???

If so, you ought to feed it with the best cables available not stock 2cent cables that come with gear.

I think you have the right idea after all, what is the point of using high end DAC's and USB isolators etc if you are running cheap garbage USB cables that you have from some old scanner or other zip USB cable. 

I do really like the Wire world USB cables, with the signal separation such as the starlight.  I do think there is a point of diminishing returns on cables but many people seem to worry about the big things and forget their cables are a major component of their system. 
You don't need to spend alot of money for quality but you do need quality cables, not some junk 2 cent cables like you mentioned. 

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #319 of 542

Quote:
 I do think there is a point of diminishing returns on cables but many people seem to worry about the big things and forget their cables are a major aspect of their system. 

You hear that Lee??

Don't be a cheap skate, you are rolling with the big boys now, time to get rid of the toys and purchase some serious wire.

tongue_smile.gif

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #320 of 542

Don't be a cheap skate, you are rolling with the big boys now, time to get rid of the toys and purchase some serious wire.

find me some snake oil A/A extension cord, and we'll talk. I ain't getting rid of the ADuM, that's for sure.

the cable I currently use has triple shielding, twisted pairs, a ferrite on the device side and gold plated plugs...not audiophool enough I presume
tongue_smile.gif

It can feed a HDD w/ 480Mbps, but not quite a 12Mbps USB audio device
icorgnobi.gif

I'll admit that it does seem to sound better than all the other cheapo extensions cords I've tried.

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #321 of 542

Quote:

find me some snake oil A/A extension cord, and we'll talk. I ain't getting rid of the ADuM, that's for sure.

the cable I currently used has triple shielding, a ferrite and gold plated plugs...not audiophool enough I presume
tongue_smile.gif

It can feed a HDD w/ 480Mbit, but not quite a 12Mbps USB audio device
icorgnobi.gif

You keep talking like that and you are going to get your Audiophile card revoked1!!!!

Before you even start looking you need to change your attitude...don't think snake oil, think high fidelity, good sound, elite, superior.  Triple shielding is good, although ferrite is not really audiophile but the gold plated plugs are good.  Now if you can find gold plated ferrite that would be better, and you need a more exotic type of metal to be a true audiophile.  Beryllium, Platinum or something-um, think thick, heavy, shinny and expensive.

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #322 of 542

Quote:
Quote:
 I do think there is a point of diminishing returns on cables but many people seem to worry about the big things and forget their cables are a major aspect of their system. 

You hear that Lee??

tongue_smile.gif

Well you don't need to spend large amounts of cash to get quality cables.  Using some crap cable that came with some other component may not be the best course of action.  There is always the extreme high quality out there for those that want to spend the money..

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #324 of 542
I am afraid those wires just wont do....to skinny first of all, no techflex, economy stress relief.

Look at these, see how cool they look??

Quote:

Burson deserves better than that...shame on you

Dec 25, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #326 of 542

Burson deserves better than that...shame on you

tbh, I hear more differences between some USB controllers than between USB cables, heh. It's like nitpicking about coax cables between your DAC and a crappy transport. Mobo chips are far from ideal for USB audio IME(and others), and m2tech always advise their customers to get a NEC board.

Always take the chain as a whole, always doubt and always try stuff for yourself...luckily for me, there aren't any cherry picked shaman blessed A/A USB extension cords so the OCD'ness is put to an end de facto.

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #327 of 542

Quote:

tbh, I hear more differences between some USB controllers than between USB cables, heh. It's like nitpicking about coax cables between your DAC and a crappy transport. Mobo chips are far from ideal for USB audio IME(and others), and m2tech always advise their customers to get a NEC board.

Always take the chain as a whole, always doubt and always try stuff for yourself...luckily for me, there aren't any cherry picked shaman blessed A/A USB extension cords so the OCD'ness is put to an end de facto.

So can/have you heard any differences between the Tenor and the TAS usb devices.??

True like you said its the whole chain but you want each link to be the best possible in order to strengthen to whole chain.

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #328 of 542
AFAIK the cheapest solution to those very expensive TAS1020B custom firmwares is the $450 Halide thingie...that's fed off the USB power and might very well not be compatible w/ the ADuM bros. I was mostly talking about computer host USB controllers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back