Fire Phoenix DAC-02 / the odac->o2 desktop rival
Feb 11, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #227 of 245
Quote:
Hi everyone,
I have a fire phoenix Dac-05 powering beyer dt 880 600 ohm headphones. I'm thinking about buying a tube amp. 
Is it possible to make a line out from this unit?
Thanks

Yes there is a RCA output. 
tongue.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #230 of 245
Quote:
my ad797br came in yesterday, and i listened to dsnuts advice and decided to let the ad797br get used to the circuitry around it by playing music nonstop over the weekend. if i hear any kind of oscillation in the next week, this thread will be the first place i post.

i did find a VERY useful thread on ad797 but it is at least 3 years old, and i'm not sure if it's still relevant to the AD797s made today.

How goes the AD797 burn-in and are they running hot?  I'm still waiting for my AD797 to arrive. 

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #231 of 245
im still burning them in. better than when i first listened to them but not quite there yet. i already talked to dsnuts about the harshness i'm hearing when it comes to violin frequencies. it might be my imagination but they sound a tad sharp. he said for better or worse to let them burn in a little bit more. the ad797 gets warm but not hot like a gtx480.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #232 of 245
well i put away the ad797. i didn't like it afterall. some frequencies were harsh and not smooth as i'd like it to be. LT1028 I ordered last week came in today and so far... i like! i can see why dsnuts was mighty impressed with them stuck in the FP-02. and the bass came back! i was using the stock op amp and missed the feeling of the bass a bit.. now i don't. again this was using the AD900X. i'm pretty much done on my journey for now unless there is another dac/amp that has great synergy with the AD900X at a good price point.

only concern now is the FP-02 makes a slight buzzing noise whenever i turn it on. i have to give it at least 2 minutes and it goes away. i'm not sure what it could be. i hope it doesn't become of a much bigger problem in the future. i already checked the power cable and USB cable. those aren't the problem.

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #233 of 245
Oh Noes !
frown.gif

The optical input on one of my DAC-02s has failed completely. The USB is still working okay. Since my work PC only has USB I'll swap them out.

Not a good sign !

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #234 of 245
that's a damn shame your optical input died. i use the optical input for the PS3 only, and i hardly use the game console at all unless there is a new JRPG i like. how many hours did you use the FP-02 via optical input?

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #235 of 245
Quote:
that's a damn shame your optical input died. i use the optical input for the PS3 only, and i hardly use the game console at all unless there is a new JRPG i like. how many hours did you use the FP-02 via optical input?

I got it in November and only used it on weekends so maybe 100 hours tops, it sits on top of my $128 Tianyun Zero 24/96 which has worked flawlessly since mid 2010, which is probably tempting fate now...

This is the 3rd cheapy I have bought from eBay that has failed or not worked from scratch, other casualties include

SD-1955 - DIR9001 AD1955 DAC Optical Coaxial Decoder & Power Adapter - the coax did not work at all (got a partial refund) 

USB DAC (PCM2707+DIR9001+PCM1793) + Headphone Amplifier - worked badly with enormous hum on power supply for a week then failed - this was from MUSE Audio

Ho Hum...

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #236 of 245
....and it gets worse

Brought the office one home and the USB input on it fails to be detected and the optical on this one is not playing ball either - sheesh !

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #237 of 245
Happy to report that both of my DAC-02 are working perfectly again. I uninstalled my sound device and reinstalled it and now all inputs on both are working fine - bizarre but true. That this also re-enabled the USB input is the most strange as they are independent on the PC and the Zero was working on USB fine all the time.

Before uninstalling/reinstalling the sound device( IDT codec) the optical output was also definitely working and connecting with my Zero perfectly well just not with the DAC-02.

This falls into the category of strange but repeatable such as if I want to view Netflix streaming I often have to turn the wireless printer or Ipod wireless on 1st 

May 16, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #238 of 245
Anyone recently buy these? Whats the difference between the 05 and 02. Is it worth getting the 05 over the 02 if I'm looking to upgrade my gear down the line ( Looking to buy more computer equipment atm: Headphones & DAC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back