Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Dec 20, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #3,406 of 6,349
I'd say the Ne4 as well as both the older brothers are the antithesis of VxV, either by the sheer amount of details or bass. The VxV and Ne4 are rather the chill on the couch type, the Ne4 being slightly less so.

Thanks so much! Appreciate it :)

I'm planning on grabbing either a Frontier series or JH Sharona sometime next year as my next big personal purchase and I am grateful for all the insight I can get.

Dec 20, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #3,407 of 6,349
Will the xenon 6 pair decently with the Sony NW-WM1AM2 out of the box? Planning on using the balanced 4.4 output, along with possibly adding a pwaudio 1960s ground adapter. Thinking a pure silver cable, open to thoughts.

Dec 20, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #3,408 of 6,349
Isn't the M2 warmish? I'd say the Xe6 pairs best with something bright to neutral at most. It was a bit much with my warm RS2

Dec 20, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #3,409 of 6,349
Isn't the M2 warmish? I'd say the Xe6 pairs best with something bright to neutral at most. It was a bit much with my warm RS2
Damn. I'm really trying to avoid a new DAP given how invested I am in accessories already. Are there other DAPs that might pair well with the xe6 that run full android and can match the battery life? Is the issue that it'll be too bassy/warm with the sony?

Dec 20, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #3,410 of 6,349
Damn. I'm really trying to avoid a new DAP given how invested I am in accessories already. Are there other DAPs that might pair well with the xe6 that run full android and can match the battery life? Is the issue that it'll be too bassy/warm with the sony?

With the ZM2 it’s definitely very warm, I’d suggest trying it first with the A and then seeing how you like it. The IEM may not be for you at all, so I wouldn’t bother changing sources until after you hear it.

Dec 20, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #3,411 of 6,349
Will the xenon 6 pair decently with the Sony NW-WM1AM2 out of the box? Planning on using the balanced 4.4 output, along with possibly adding a pwaudio 1960s ground adapter. Thinking a pure silver cable, open to thoughts.
I don't think any of the Frontier series will pair "decently" out of the box with any DAP. That bass does take a bit of time to get use on anything, which really does show how subjective our hearing is.

I would not recommend the ground adapter on Sony DAPs. Their engineers didn't ground it for reason, and it does impart a fair bit of warmth based on my experience with one on the 1A.

Keep in mine, I'm one clown in this hobby who doesnt consider the 1A or 1AM2 warm.

Dec 21, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #3,413 of 6,349
I don’t have experience with Sony DAP sound signatures or synergies with non-Sony IEMs. I’m sure they would be fine but definitely demo. All of my DAPs pair quite nicely with Xe6, they all bring something different: N8ii (more revealing and wide soundstage, lovely bass punch), DX312 (warm signature, more punch in mid bass, musical), DX300MAX (wide soundstage, neutral bass, sparkly treble), and M9 (brighter treble, leading to a more revealing sound, musical and wide soundstage). Looking forward to burning in the RS8 + Xe6

Twiser6 on RS8 + Xe6:
A big holographic soundstage expansion, quite wide though I fill there is a bit more depth/height with the sound projecting more out of my head. Unlike other sources paired up with XE6, this one has a more balanced signature with a powerful speaker like analog bass, thanks to XE6 kinetic bass drivers, natural detailed mids and vocals which are just a touch recessed, and crisp natural treble. One interesting observation, while in many pair ups I prefer custom XE6 over uni XE6, here I felt the opposite since custom XE6 had vocals a bit too close, and I like how uni XE6 extended vocals a little more out of my head, making it feel like I was at a live concert. Absolutely loved this pair up.

Xe6 aren’t hard to drive and don’t require high volume. I have paired the Xe6 with ET Aeneid (GPS) and it sounds fine, just thins the fullness of body sound just a little to my ears. I personally prefer copper or hybrid with Xe6. Best feature is the ability to swap the Atom modules - they’re larger in size with CEIMs and smaller on UIEMs - and you can cable and ATOM roll to find the best combo that works for you.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #3,414 of 6,349
I'd say the Ne4 as well as both the older brothers are the antithesis of VxV, either by the sheer amount of details or bass. The VxV and Ne4 are rather the chill on the couch type, the Ne4 being slightly less so.
I have both and I agree. There's not really much of a similarity between the two.

Both are great in their own ways, but man the NE4 is playing in a different league.

Dec 21, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #3,415 of 6,349
I have both and I agree. There's not really much of a similarity between the two.

Both are great in their own ways, but man the NE4 is playing in a different league.

How would you say so?

Dec 21, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #3,416 of 6,349
How would you say so?
Both are detailed and are obviously from the same family tree, but the NE4's are more holographic (for the want of a better word).

Then you have the bass, that truly is something to be felt as well as heard.

All in all the NE4's give you the "being at a concert" experience.

We have both heard the JH Audio Jolene. The NE4 is like those but on steroids.

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #3,417 of 6,349
I don’t have experience with Sony DAP sound signatures or synergies with non-Sony IEMs. I’m sure they would be fine but definitely demo. All of my DAPs pair quite nicely with Xe6, they all bring something different: N8ii (more revealing and wide soundstage, lovely bass punch), DX312 (warm signature, more punch in mid bass, musical), DX300MAX (wide soundstage, neutral bass, sparkly treble), and M9 (brighter treble, leading to a more revealing sound, musical and wide soundstage). Looking forward to burning in the RS8 + Xe6

Xe6 aren’t hard to drive and don’t require high volume. I have paired the Xe6 with ET Aeneid (GPS) and it sounds fine, just thins the fullness of body sound just a little to my ears. I personally prefer copper or hybrid with Xe6. Best feature is the ability to swap the Atom modules - they’re larger in size with CEIMs and smaller on UIEMs - and you can cable and ATOM roll to find the best combo that works for you.

... damn auto-correct, "I feel" not "I fill". Will have to go back to my review and edit that :D

Dec 21, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #3,418 of 6,349
... damn auto-correct, "I feel" not "I fill". Will have to go back to my review and edit that :D

Haha, either fill or feel - we all get you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #3,419 of 6,349
I’m in awe of what the Azla Standard tips do for KR5 - even more impactful and visceral bass, more detail retrieval, treble has more air, and overall a general sense of space on stage with phenomenal imaging. In my ears at least, they really seem to benefit from the extra space Azla creates, allowing more room for everything to breathe. Unreal.

6942817A-C12B-4713-9419-12DF8AA88C03.jpeg

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #3,420 of 6,349
I’m in awe of what the Azla Standard tips do for KR5 - even more impactful and visceral bass, more detail retrieval, treble has more air, and overall a general sense of space on stage with phenomenal imaging. In my ears at least, they really seem to benefit from the extra space Azla creates, allowing more room for everything to breathe. Unreal.

6942817A-C12B-4713-9419-12DF8AA88C03.jpeg
I have been having a similar experience on Xe6 with Acoustune AET07...I switched to these yesterday and have been blown away by exactly what you are describing above. Thank you for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back