Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Dec 12, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #3,376 of 6,537
Kudos to @bogdan belonozhko and FiR customer service!

Finaly getting my VxV custom that had an MMCX connector rip off out to the team and my experience has been nothing but wonderful so far!

Will report back when my unit is back safe and sound with me within a week or two. I miss it!

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #3,377 of 6,537
Huge shout out to FiR Customer Service and their Production Manger Cody in particular!

This all started during the week long BF sales that FiR was doing. Having spotted that it was possible to select a universal M4 with the 2 pin option, I placed my order. Cody reached out to me the next day regarding my order. He explained that the shells for M4 were only done with mmcx and rcx in mind, and offered to throw in an adapter to 2 pin and helping with getting a cable that I liked with the M4 reterminated. After some discussion and confirming that they would be able to get my impressions from 64 Audio, I had them cancel the order and I would place the order for the custom once the refund.

Cue a week later, turns out their accountant had forgotten a step in the process and the refund hadn't processed. Cody immediately followed up and got that processed. Refund in hand, he also provide me with a one-time promo code to get the BF discount even though the promotion period had passed. After some playing around with the customization tool, I submitted the custom order. Realizing I had made a mistake in an option, Anna corrected the order for me. Cody also reached out to get the ordered confirmed.

On the call, Cody also informed me that it wouldn't be possible to get the scans from 64 and laid out a few options: Reach out to 64 myself; Send in an existing pair of my customs and have them scan it; Get a new set of impressions. To make it short, 64 said we can't do that. Again Cody reached out to see if they could anything. After looking like there was progress, it stalled again after another week.

Cody then offered to have a return label created for me to send in my customs for scannnig. However due to CANADA (IE being "international:), they wouldn't be able to do that and I'd have to send it in myself. Falling to the final option of getting new impressions, Cody graciously offered a vac or a choice of accessory to my order. Per the semi-custom VxV that was posted here, Cody also let me know it be possible and would have to check the cost as it would be a specialty item.

Having been in the process for 4 weeks at this point and nowhere close to putting my order into production with the Xmas holidays coming in soon, I've opted to cancel the order, but really not FiR's fault. They've made every effort to accommodate me, just that the options really didn't get me where I was looking for, and resulting in more time and cost than I initially anticipated this to take. Perhaps one day when, I actually need new impressions or new universal offerings come out that fit my criteria, but for now it's just not meant to be with FiR.

Dec 13, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #3,378 of 6,537
Just ordered, the "NiceHCK Litz 4N Pure Silver 8 core" cable, to try with my Xe6.

Will report when it arrives.
Cable arrived. Looks good and feels resilient. Cannot detect any sonic difference between it and the the stock cable.

Edit: after some more ABing between the cables I think that the new (silver) cable provides a slight more 'air'/'space' on the higher frequencies.
Do not want to feadle more with the 2pin connectors.

Staying with the new cabe.
20221213_162635.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #3,379 of 6,537
All is good, as long as we enjoy our audio. 😀

100% - wish more people could keep this in mind...and have a music first focus over the gear. Your personal enjoyment with the gear is always most important.

Huge shout out to FiR Customer Service and their Production Manger Cody in particular!

This all started during the week long BF sales that FiR was doing. Having spotted that it was possible to select a universal M4 with the 2 pin option, I placed my order. Cody reached out to me the next day regarding my order. He explained that the shells for M4 were only done with mmcx and rcx in mind, and offered to throw in an adapter to 2 pin and helping with getting a cable that I liked with the M4 reterminated. After some discussion and confirming that they would be able to get my impressions from 64 Audio, I had them cancel the order and I would place the order for the custom once the refund.

Cue a week later, turns out their accountant had forgotten a step in the process and the refund hadn't processed. Cody immediately followed up and got that processed. Refund in hand, he also provide me with a one-time promo code to get the BF discount even though the promotion period had passed. After some playing around with the customization tool, I submitted the custom order. Realizing I had made a mistake in an option, Anna corrected the order for me. Cody also reached out to get the ordered confirmed.

On the call, Cody also informed me that it wouldn't be possible to get the scans from 64 and laid out a few options: Reach out to 64 myself; Send in an existing pair of my customs and have them scan it; Get a new set of impressions. To make it short, 64 said we can't do that. Again Cody reached out to see if they could anything. After looking like there was progress, it stalled again after another week.

Cody then offered to have a return label created for me to send in my customs for scannnig. However due to CANADA (IE being "international:), they wouldn't be able to do that and I'd have to send it in myself. Falling to the final option of getting new impressions, Cody graciously offered a vac or a choice of accessory to my order. Per the semi-custom VxV that was posted here, Cody also let me know it be possible and would have to check the cost as it would be a specialty item.

Having been in the process for 4 weeks at this point and nowhere close to putting my order into production with the Xmas holidays coming in soon, I've opted to cancel the order, but really not FiR's fault. They've made every effort to accommodate me, just that the options really didn't get me where I was looking for, and resulting in more time and cost than I initially anticipated this to take. Perhaps one day when, I actually need new impressions or new universal offerings come out that fit my criteria, but for now it's just not meant to be with FiR.

Cody is wonderful! Sorry it couldn't work out this time around. It will when it's meant to be!

Dec 13, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #3,380 of 6,537
Cable arrived. Looks good and feels resilient. Cannot detect any sonic difference between it and the the stock cable.

Edit: after some more ABing between the cables I think that the new (silver) cable provides a slight more 'air'/'space' on the higher frequencies.
Do not want to feadle more with the 2pin connectors.

Staying with the new cabe.20221213_162635.jpg
I saw, on the web site resaler, that there were 3 formats of 2pin :
- 0.78 2Pin
- QDC 2Pin
- NX7 2Pin

I don't really understand.

Which format for the Xe6?

who can explain me these different formats ?

Dec 15, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #3,383 of 6,537

I sent this over to Cody since he isn't on Head-Fi very often, and he said he appreciates it :)

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #3,384 of 6,537
Cody is wonderful! Sorry it couldn't work out this time around. It will when it's meant to be!
I sent this over to Cody since he isn't on Head-Fi very often, and he said he appreciates it :)
Definitely! I mentioned that in my communications with him as well.

Also, there's been a nice turnaround in events, so M4 is a go again!

Dec 15, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #3,387 of 6,537

It's our pleasure to serve our customers. This one had to be escalated to "the godfather". Some ears were twisted and we finally got the Moulds. Looking forward to delivering your M4 soon.

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Dec 15, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #3,389 of 6,537
When you get roasted by FiR’ s production manager for how badly you treated your CIEMs…

I’m sorry for what Cody has to deal with in advance…bless him.

EBEB471D-88C6-470F-9C1A-5F18F7F96186.jpeg

Dec 15, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #3,390 of 6,537

Users who are viewing this thread

Back