Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Dec 2, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #3,347 of 6,338
What cable is that? How does it compare to the original Xe6's?

Thanks.

I believe that cable is Eletech’s Ode to Laura cable which is a high purity copper only cable.

Dec 2, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #3,348 of 6,338
I believe that cable is Eletech’s Ode to Laura cable which is a high purity copper only cable.
:thumbsup:

What cable is that? How does it compare to the original Xe6's?

Thanks.

Ja, it's Eletech's Ode to Laura, a 22AWG, 4 wire, 9 core litz, triple OCC copper blend.

TBH I didn't listen to the stock Xe6 cable for more than 30min. First impression of stock was "eh" until I got used to Xe6's full bodied sound and bass. Not as detailed as I'd prefer but overall excellent OEM cable if you're not cable rolling. I swapped it out for Eletech's Aeneid 24AWG GPS which thins a bit of Xe6's fully body/thickness and adds clarity, opens up the soundstage, crisper treble and sparkle, more energetic.

Initial impression with Xe6 (silver ATOM) + OTL + Cayin N8ii P+ tube AB are mids a bit more forward and detailed, more air in mid snd upper treble, better layer and imaging while improving Xe6 low end with tighter bass – W sound signature.

Dec 2, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #3,349 of 6,338

Ja, it's Eletech's Ode to Laura, a 22AWG, 4 wire, 9 core litz, triple OCC copper blend.

TBH I didn't listen to the stock Xe6 cable for more than 30min. First impression of stock was "eh" until I got used to Xe6's full bodied sound and bass. Not as detailed as I'd prefer but overall excellent OEM cable if you're not cable rolling. I swapped it out for Eletech's Aeneid 24AWG GPS which thins a bit of Xe6's fully body/thickness and adds clarity, opens up the soundstage, crisper treble and sparkle, more energetic.

Initial impression with Xe6 (silver ATOM) + OTL + Cayin N8ii P+ tube AB are mids a bit more forward and detailed, more air in mid snd upper treble, better layer and imaging while improving Xe6 low end with tighter bass – W sound signature.

I can confirm this assessment 100% and find this combination incredibly good! I also like the XE6 with the OTL more than with the FT.

20221202_212158.jpg

Dec 2, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #3,351 of 6,338
do you have any recommendation for a cable at the Xinhs store up to 40$ or at least less heavy ?
As you can see from the above posts, people upgrade their XE6 and KR5 with $2k+ cables. Why would you want to downgrade pure copper stock cable with a budget aliexpress sub $40 cable?

Dec 2, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #3,353 of 6,338
do you have any recommendation for a cable at the Xinhs store up to 40$ or at least less heavy ?
Why you are planning to replace FIR's $400+ stock cable with $40 AliExpress one? :)

Dec 2, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #3,354 of 6,338
I just need a good backup cable but can't spend this amount on a cable...
Just go with any $20 TRN 16 wire or simillar cables, they are good with i.e. KZ IEMs but they will rather "blanket" the sound of more expensive IEMs.

Dec 2, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #3,355 of 6,338
I just need a good backup cable but can't spend this amount on a cable...

In theory, it should be covered under warranty if something happens within that period. Outside the warranty, you can find a reasonably priced replacement even from brand names like Effect Audio (Signature Series) or Eletech (Virtues Series), though those are closer to $200. Chi-fi cables do use cheap low purity copper or silver-plated copper wires, but the problem usually is not wire related by the hardware related due to poor quality plugs and connectors.

Tbh, as a reviewer rather than consumer, I don't feel right telling people how much they should spend, that is not much business. But I can share with you my opinion based on many discussions I had with my readers who took the bait of cheap aliexpress cables to find wires getting oxidized or 4.4mm plug needs to be rotated within headphone socket of the dap until both Left/Right channels make contact, or connector pins easily getting bent, etc.

Dec 2, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #3,356 of 6,338

But the aesthetics of the Aeneid vis-a-vis Xe6 though is dope!

Dec 3, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #3,357 of 6,338
Our review of the Krypton 5 is online :)

https://headfonics.com/fir-audio-krypton-5-review/

Wow, a stunning bass performance. I do believe the custom version might differ from the universal version based on what I am reading regarding the treble quality. It's quite smooth, with only the red filter showing any treble emphasis.

1670064237947.png

Dec 4, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #3,359 of 6,338
After 100 hours of burn-in time, I can now say the KR5 has the best mid-bass performance of any in my collection, it’s really fabulous sounding to my ears. Staging is large, atmospheric, and immersive. I’m very happy with my purchase although I’ll likely upgrade the FiR Scorpion cable at some point.

3B8C2CC8-B751-4BB5-96BB-556B22650D33.jpeg

Dec 4, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #3,360 of 6,338
I published my review last night for KR5 - HERE

I absolutely adore this set, definitely in the top IEMs I've owned - often when I've completed a review, I'll park the set for a bit and focus on something else, yet here I am tonight with KR5 back in my ears...

IMG_0150.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back