Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Dec 21, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #3,421 of 6,234
I just wanted to give another big shout-out to @bogdan belonozhko, Cody, Jessica, and the rest of the FiR team for handling the excellent repair of my custom VxV.

It's been out of commission since having its MMCX unit on the left side pull itself out of the IEM, and I just haven't gotten around to sending it out. This is not a standard issue as I'm very active with this unit, and it's generally my EDC-beater IEM.

Within three business days, they had it fully repaired, cleaned, and looking good as new visually. This is one of the reasons why I will always stick with and consider FiR above all else because their customer service is second to none. They're always easily reachable and quick to ship things back and forth.

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #3,422 of 6,234
I just wanted to give another big shout-out to @bogdan belonozhko, Cody, Jessica, and the rest of the FiR team for handling the excellent repair of my custom VxV.

It's been out of commission since having its MMCX unit on the left side pull itself out of the IEM, and I just haven't gotten around to sending it out. This is not a standard issue as I'm very active with this unit, and it's generally my EDC-beater IEM.

Within three business days, they had it fully repaired, cleaned, and looking good as new visually. This is one of the reasons why I will always stick with and consider FiR above all else because their customer service is second to none. They're always easily reachable and quick to ship things back and forth.
Seconding this!

Just got the shipping notification for my M4. It's been exactly a week since Cody let me know the good news and it was "hopefully by next Friday"

Dec 21, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #3,423 of 6,234
Seconding this!

Just got the shipping notification for my M4. It's been exactly a week since Cody let me know the good news and it was "hopefully by next Friday"

Glad you got sorted on the M4! That would have been my choice out of the M series too :)

Dec 22, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #3,424 of 6,234
D7A22A10-4111-40D1-A16B-A17D632BADDD.jpeg

Back home today! Man I missed these guys so much. And a quick plug to my favorite coffee shop on the West Side, 310 Coffee Company!​

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #3,425 of 6,234

Back home today! Man I missed these guys so much. And a quick plug to my favorite coffee shop on the West Side, 310 Coffee Company!​
I only have the universal version, but I can appreciate how much you have missed them.

For an EDC and the price they are excellent . Well actually they are excellent under any circumstances. FIR produce excellent iems

Dec 22, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #3,426 of 6,234
Matte shells vs gloss shells? Fir seemed to indicate the matte are grippier, but wondering if they're more prone to damage from sweat, scratches, etc.

Dec 22, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #3,427 of 6,234
Matte shells vs gloss shells? Fir seemed to indicate the matte are grippier, but wondering if they're more prone to damage from sweat, scratches, etc.

I think that's a misconception.

Source: The VxV is my usual active/gym CIEM for a year and some change.there were no issues with sweat or scratches.

In my experience, gloss is more susceptible to sweat and scratches.

The FiR build quality for CIEMs is meant for live stage use. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Dec 22, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #3,428 of 6,234
I think that's a misconception.

Source: The VxV is my usual active/gym CIEM for a year and some change.there were no issues with sweat or scratches.

In my experience, gloss is more susceptible to sweat and scratches.

The FiR build quality for CIEMs is meant for live stage use. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
I guess what I'm asking is, I like the all gloss look better (not as big a fan of gloss faceplates with matte shells). That said, if I go for gloss shells, am I sacrificing practicality for looks?

Dec 22, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #3,429 of 6,234

Also, where did you get that excellent looking cable?

Dec 22, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #3,430 of 6,234
I guess what I'm asking is, I like the all gloss look better (not as big a fan of gloss faceplates with matte shells). That said, if I go for gloss shells, am I sacrificing practicality for looks?

At the end of the day, design something that you’re going to be happy with, whether it’s gloss or matte. You can always reshell it in a couple of years.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #3,431 of 6,234
Also, where did you get that excellent looking cable?

Ares Audio in Singapore.

I believe the owner is currently deployed in Singapore because of their mandatory military requirements so his partner is running relations with Zepplelin and Co, who you can purchase a cable they have in stock. This is why their usual website and socials are down.

https://zeppelinandco.com/products/ares-audio-iro?_pos=4&_sid=e12d9e66c&_ss=r

This specific color way is the Iro - Overdrive. Highly recommended. It matches perfectly with the faceplates I chose from FiR and is a very audiophile look (blue for left, red for right, meta, I know!).

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #3,432 of 6,234
YMMV. Personally I find gloss shells offer a better grip/seal, therefore my ears tend to 'sweat' more with them. On the other hand, I find shells with a matte finish (resin/plastic/metal) don't seal as well. As to whether either shell is more prone to actual damage from sweat, I wouldn't think the shell composition would make a difference; it's sweat getting into the shell and the internals which would be more of an issue. I do believe matte finishes tend to show scratches more easily than gloss finishes though.

Dec 22, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #3,433 of 6,234
At the end of the day, design something that you’re going to be happy with, whether it’s gloss or matte. You can always reshell it in a couple of years.

100% - can't stress this enough with any purchase of this magnitude.

Dec 22, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #3,434 of 6,234

Upd.
Already saw the answer.

I thought it was a Romi Audio cable.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #3,435 of 6,234

Users who are viewing this thread

Back