Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jan 10, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #526 of 6,342
Hmmmm I wonder how my new plussound gold plated silver will pair with m5, its also one heck of high quality cable.

So quiet interesting not V shaped but also with good presence of bass and treble and not mid recessed. Then W shaped I guess lol?

Have you compared m5 vs m4 any thoughts?

I haven’t, sorry. I’d highly suggest demo’ing the M5 though. :)

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #527 of 6,342
Just fews facts :

- The M5 signature is NOT V Shape at all BUT lot of people will think it is. Why ? Because the bass are truly at TOTL headphones Level, remind me LCD 4 (100ohm) and the high are clear and detailed, so clear that you will maybe find your other IEMS sounding dark beside the M5. The mids are there, how yeah, and you can feel it clearly. Voices are exquisit !

- With the black Atom-x module (for me the best), the sound is big with a limitless dynamic as far as they never never saturated even at loud volume.

- They can be chameleon sometimes. When I listen classical or baroque, they are incredibly delicate, but if I switch to West Cost Hip Hop suddently they will sound massive. That's extraordinary.
By the way, if you are a Classical / Baroque guy, definitely, you should definitely put them on the top list even they are excellent with all genres.

- Last things : They are easy to drive but appreciate power. They are NOT forgiving. If the mix is great, then you'll be amazed, if the mix is poor, then you want to change the track. You'll fell the "time/age" of the record. If it's old you'll feel it. And and and : as far as they are only 6.8 ohm they support extremely well EQ and you can even add highs to have an even clearear / airyer sound.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #528 of 6,342
I haven’t, sorry. I’d highly suggest demo’ing the M5 though. :)

Yes I will 100%
I got m4 and m5 in the list to audition.
I really like 64a and Fir is a line that is similar to 64a. Without mentioning that I think Vitaliy and Bogdan are brothers and I guess Bogdan decided to run hes own iem brand.

So far I see lot of folks really like fir iems and saying its a higher lvl of quality over 64a.
I really want to trie and if I confirm that my self heck yea I am switching

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #529 of 6,342
Just fews facts :

- The M5 signature is NOT V Shape at all BUT lot of people will think it is. Why ? Because the bass are truly at TOTL headphones Level, remind me LCD 4 (100ohm) and the high are clear and detailed, so clear that you will maybe find your other IEMS sounding dark beside the M5. The mids are there, how yeah, and you can feel it clearly. Voices are exquisit !

- With the black Atom-x module (for me the best), the sound is big with a limitless dynamic as far as they never never saturated even at lound volume.

- They can be chameleon sometimes. When I listen classical or baroc, they are incredibly delicate, but if I switch to West Cost Hip Hop suddently they will sound massive. That's extraordinary.
By the way, if you are a Classical / Baroque guy, definitely, you should definitely put them on the top list even they are excellent with all genres.

- Last things : They are easy to drive but appreciate power. They are NOT forgiving. If the mix is great, then you'll be amazing, if the mix is poor, then you want to change the track. You'll fell the "time" of the record. If it's old you'll feel it. And and and : as far as they are only 6.8 ohm they support extremely well EQ and you can even add highs to have an even clearear / airyer sound.

Boyy you say it so beautifully and seductively I want it right now !
Hahahaha

Give me that perfection of delicacy and nuancy.

Wonder how much goodness M4 can offer if you guys love M5 so much

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #530 of 6,342
Boyy you say it so beautifully and seductively I want it right now !
Hahahaha

Give me that perfection of delicacy and nuancy.

Wonder how much goodness M4 can offer if you guys love M5 so much

From what I read in this thread the M4 is similar to the M5 but doesn’t quite have the treble extension the M5 estats offer (which are such a pleasureable listen btw)

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #531 of 6,342
hehe, I was about thinking the same, M4 is probably as good as M5 without the extra electrostat' high driver make the highs even more detailed. If you like mostly old records, I would say M4 will be probably a better choice as far as the highs are sometime a bit crazily detailed/textured on some tracks and that why M5 are not forgiving/ laid back at all which is bad for old records (often poorly recorded), and that's why M5 is definitely incredible on classic/baroque : with incredible presence and and truly out of this world highs.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #532 of 6,342
From what I read in this thread the M4 is similar to the M5 but doesn’t quite have the treble extension the M5 estats offer (which are such a pleasureable listen btw)

Mmm yeaa I understand but I am someone that if treble is too high it will just ruin me and I will sell the iem cause ai hate piercing trebles.

Had issue with hd800s and tia fortes,
I would say ier-z1r were on the edge of it.

So yea I am now reluctant with treble

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #533 of 6,342
hehe, I was about thinking the same, M4 is probably as good as M5 without the extra electrostat' high driver make the high even more detailed. If you like mostly old records, I would say M4 will be probably a better choice as far as the highs are sometime a bit crazily detailed/textured on some tracks and that why M5 are not forgiving/ laid back at all which is bad for old records (often poorly recorded)

I listen to spotify 100% of the time streaming via s9 with bluetooth Ldac to my wm1z.
Is maybe why I think m4 be more forgiving?
I also plan to upgrade to N8 BB

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #534 of 6,342
Mmm yeaa I understand but I am someone that if treble is too high it will just ruin me and I will sell the iem cause ai hate piercing trebles.

Had issue with hd800s and tia fortes,
I would say ier-z1r were on the edge of it.

So yea I am now reluctant with treble

The M5 treble isn’t as bright as the Fourte but it’s definitely present. I think it’s very well done and not fatiguing but for you that’s something only your ears will be able to know.

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #535 of 6,342
Just sayin' : i'm HYPER treble sensitive, I hated the HD800 AND HD800s (8Khz Peak boooh) and I hate german headphones sound like Beyerdynamic but the tour de force with M5 is the high are detailed/clear without being arsh/agressive ! First time for me I can listen to highs like those without problem !

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #536 of 6,342
My M5’s just arrived a few minutes ago. Already have them in my ears and playing. The fit is the most comfortable fit I’ve had so far out of my 3 CIEMs (A18t, Legend X, M5). The build quality is outstanding, you can really feel how FiR uses the thicker shells and it feels wonderful and very durable. Order placed December 16th, they shipped January 9th. Beyond happy with everything :) The stock cable is fantastic and very well made.

Love that design! Had myself the same too (photos here).

Glad that things are picking up for FiR Audio. My M5 has been getting plenty of ear-time too. I'll reach for it naturally without thinking much.

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #537 of 6,342
Love that design! Had myself the same too (photos here).

Glad that things are picking up for FiR Audio. My M5 has been getting plenty of ear-time too. I'll reach for it naturally without thinking much.

looks like your IEMs were the inspiration behind mine. He posted yours to the FiR Instagram right? I loved that purple and green color but I didn’t want the exact same lol. Lovely design!

Jan 10, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #538 of 6,342
They aren't a classic V where the mids are recessed, but as @aaf evo mentioned, everything is crazy intense, like all the frequencies have been boosted.

There is most definitely an emphasis on both the bass and the treble though, in terms of performance, detail and so on. The midrange feels like more of a connecting frequency, and the testament to that is the fact that everyone who listens to the M5 goes "amazing bass, amazing treble" - I personally much prefer a heavily emphasised midrange/treble performance, with complementary bass just to make those two sound their best

Jan 10, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #539 of 6,342
Just fews facts :

- With the black Atom-x module (for me the best), the sound is big with a limitless dynamic as far as they never never saturated even at loud volume.

- They can be chameleon sometimes. When I listen classical or baroque, they are incredibly delicate, but if I switch to West Cost Hip Hop suddently they will sound massive. That's extraordinary.

- Last things : They are easy to drive but appreciate power. They are NOT forgiving. If the mix is great, then you'll be amazed, if the mix is poor, then you want to change the track. You'll fell the "time/age" of the record. If it's old you'll feel it. And and and : as far as they are only 6.8 ohm they support extremely well EQ and you can even add highs to have an even clearear / airyer sound.

I am having similar thoughts with the tour M4. They are different from the M3, though. I wish I had gotten both at the same time so I could A/B. I guess I'll have to move to Vancouver. I think I'll be ready to post my review next week.

John2e has added me to the list for the M5 as well. What have I done?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #540 of 6,342
Here's a question for them what has auditioned the universals and bought customs: do you think there is any difference in sound attributable to the different shell materials? Or the shape of the shells? My theory is the shape of the shell doesn't affect the sound much; it's the shape of the internal cavity that matters.

Also, are the dynamic drivers in the M3 and M4 the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back