Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jan 9, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #496 of 6,538
and it is converted to DSD from the SACD!!!

The warmth of the Cayin N8 mixes very nicely with the M5's

Excellent choices !!!

How did you rip an SACD? I have a small collection of multi-channel SACDs I would like to rip, but I've read you can't rip an SACD without a 1st generation Play Station and some black market software you buy from a guy named Chuy.

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #497 of 6,538
Thanks to @John2e
I’m enjoying the M5, even if I’m leaning more to a mid centric sound signature, I really like what I’m hearing. Bass is tight, love the texture of the mid (that are not recessed at all) and far as treble, is the best earphone with an estat driver.

Did you compare with other DAPs or just the N8? How do you think the matchup and synergy is between them? I'm still looking to upgrade my DAP now after getting the M5s

Jan 9, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #498 of 6,538
How did you rip an SACD? I have a small collection of multi-channel SACDs I would like to rip, but I've read you can't rip an SACD without a 1st generation Play Station and some black market software you buy from a guy named Chuy.

I paid a guy

I'll send you a link tomorrow

He does DVD-A and ISSO as well.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #500 of 6,538
Sorry but You can already right the "For Sale" for your a18t bro :p
Ehhh it’s debatable if the M5 is better than the A18t. I for one much preferred the latter for it’s more reference tuning and ability to play around with the signature

Jan 10, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #502 of 6,538
Ehhh it’s debatable if the M5 is better than the A18t. I for one much preferred the latter for it’s more reference tuning and ability to play around with the signature

By the way bro I do not agree with you about m5 and cables. They are cable sensitive and it is quiet confortable with the FIR adapter rcx to 2pins.

Jan 10, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #503 of 6,538
By the way bro I do not agree with you about m5 and cables. They are cable sensitive and it is quiet confortable with the FIR adapter rcx to 2pins.
I might be wrong, my cable-rolling experience with the M5 was very limited.

I did try different sources however, and the sound signature remained unaffected

I completely agree that the M5 is a stellar IEM, as I covered in my review, it's just not one I synergised very well with myself. Regarding the comparison between the M5 and say, the A18t, I liked the 18 better myself as it is flatter and the midrange feels more emphasized.

Ultimately though, the Elysium is my No1 and by quite the stretch

Jan 10, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #504 of 6,538
Regarding the comparison between the M5 and say, the A18t, I liked the 18 better myself as it is flatter and the midrange feels more emphasized.

That's why audio gears criticism is so hard and fascinating. It is really about taste and ear sensitivity.

I had the A18t myself and didn't keep them, as far as I found them technically on the top but incredibly boring. Where the M5 is vivid, alive, massive, touching and technically spectacular, the A18t is for me very analytical with a lack of emotion.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #505 of 6,538
That's why audio gears criticism is so hard and fascinating. It is really about taste and ear sensitivity.

I had the A18t myself and didn't keep them, as far as I found them technically on the top but incredibly boring. Where the M5 is vivid, alive, massive, touching and technically spectacular, the A18t is for me very analytical with a lack of emotion.
To each his own. I live and breathe analytical and bright

Jan 10, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #506 of 6,538
I agree with @Modwright01 , a18 can be a super technical analytical but darn its flat and thats not how music should be in my opinion.

Music need vibes and curves juicy notes, musicality and pleasure.
I want to listen to be entertained and elevate my feelings not just pinpoint details or cut me self with a piercing treble

Jan 10, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #507 of 6,538
I agree with @Modwright01 , a18 can be a super technical analytical but darn its flat and thats not how music should be in my opinion.

Music need vibes and curves juicy notes, musicality and pleasure.
I want to listen to be entertained and elevate my feelings not just pinpoint details or cut me self with a piercing treble
What if my feelings get elevated by piercing treble, details and technicalities?

Jan 10, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #508 of 6,538
Raz brother there is no problem but beware you can be very influential to head fiers and then people will think A18t is an audio grail while this pair is really not for everyone and most of people will find them too much analytical and a bit aggressive...

While I will not hesitate to say FIR M5 is a totl "for everyone" oriented and make the miracle to produce super clear and detailed highs without being aggressive. I'm very high sensitive to 8khz peak and this is the first time for me I can taste highs so clear and detailed without any bad feelings.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #509 of 6,538
There's no such thing as an audio grail, and every time I express a preference I also clarify where I'm coming from - in this case, as someone with a strong preference towards flat and analytical monitors. Most stuff that people classify as "fun" are IEMs that I get bored of within a week - a testament to that is the fact I'm selling my LX a week after getting it

I have recommended the FiR M5 before (mostly in cases when the person is looking for a high end V), and I will do so in the future, but as far as my personal preferences go, it's not something I'm interested in

Jan 10, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #510 of 6,538
My M5’s just arrived a few minutes ago. Already have them in my ears and playing. The fit is the most comfortable fit I’ve had so far out of my 3 CIEMs (A18t, Legend X, M5). The build quality is outstanding, you can really feel how FiR uses the thicker shells and it feels wonderful and very durable. Order placed December 16th, they shipped January 9th. Beyond happy with everything :) The stock cable is fantastic and very well made.
E47A3DD0-ADE1-49C2-A79A-10746521B4D1.jpeg5C289E2C-D18E-492D-A802-0EBF43EC3C07.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back