Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jan 10, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #511 of 6,538
My M5’s just arrived a few minutes ago. Already have them in my ears and playing. The fit is the most comfortable fit I’ve had so far out of my 3 CIEMs (A18t, Legend X, M5). The build quality is outstanding, you can really feel how FiR uses the thicker shells and it feels wonderful and very durable. Order placed December 16th, they shipped January 9th. Beyond happy with everything :) The stock cable is fantastic and very well made.

Ouu thats so pretty, the leaves veins are so detailed and create an 3d effect its neet and beautiful.

Let the burn in begin! :L3000::L3000:

Jan 10, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #512 of 6,538
My M5’s just arrived a few minutes ago. Already have them in my ears and playing. The fit is the most comfortable fit I’ve had so far out of my 3 CIEMs (A18t, Legend X, M5). The build quality is outstanding, you can really feel how FiR uses the thicker shells and it feels wonderful and very durable. Order placed December 16th, they shipped January 9th. Beyond happy with everything :) The stock cable is fantastic and very well made.

Haha Congrats !

I had exctly the same feelings : most comfy CIEM I had (and I had 6 pairs), shell quality is exquisitly thin, outstanding as the cable !!!

ENJOY BRO !

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #513 of 6,538
That's why audio gears criticism is so hard and fascinating. It is really about taste and ear sensitivity.

I had the A18t myself and didn't keep them, as far as I found them technically on the top but incredibly boring. Where the M5 is vivid, alive, massive, touching and technically spectacular, the A18t is for me very analytical with a lack of emotion.

Nice post !

This sums up my experience with the M5 perfectly. I had posted this in the 64 audio thread long before I ever heard about FIR. I found I was listening to music with the U18T. With the M5 I experience it. I feel an emotional connection to the music. It's a toe tappin, botty shakin, air guitar inducing experience for ME. YMMV, IMHO :) and any other acronym's that conveys this is my impression. Some may share it, some may not.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #514 of 6,538

Very nice !!!!

Jan 10, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #515 of 6,538
I agree with @Modwright01 , a18 can be a super technical analytical but darn its flat and thats not how music should be in my opinion.

Music need vibes and curves juicy notes, musicality and pleasure.
I want to listen to be entertained and elevate my feelings not just pinpoint details or cut me self with a piercing treble

I love it when someone says the headphone had a fun sound to it as if it were a bad thing. Aren't we supposed to be having fun ? I don't want to count the number of members in a choir. I want to sing along with them! Again YMMV IMHO

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #517 of 6,538
I love it when someone says the headphone had a fun sound to it as if it were a bad thing. Aren't we supposed to be having fun ? I don't want to count the number of members in a choir. I want to sing along with them! Again YMMV IMHO

I can see how the M5 aren’t for everyone though. These IEMs have A LOT of energy, it can be too much for some people which I totally get. I absolutely love it though. I’m very lucky to be able to have these and the A18t for two different listening experiences. To me the M5 with M13 (black ATOM module) is an almost balanced signature that’s just turned up to energetic levels. Once you start to add the higher isolating modules the bass really starts to shine through.

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #518 of 6,538
Bro do you have the rcx ri 2 pins to see how the M5 sound with the 1950? I'm curious as far as they are cable sensitive.

Ps : if you like Jeff Buckley try the album grace on the M5 wooohooo

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #519 of 6,538
Bro do you have the rcx ri 2 pins to see how the M5 sound with the 1950? I'm curious as far as they are cable sensitive.

when I demo’d the universal M5 the adapter was provided. I found the 1950s to smooth out that beautiful top end too much, to me the 1960s 4 wire was a much better pairing and I found the change quite noticeable too so to me cable rolling does effect them. To how much ? That’s up to the user, but I could notice 100%. With that said, the stock FiR cable is fantastic.

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #521 of 6,538
I can see how the M5 aren’t for everyone though. These IEMs have A LOT of energy, it can be too much for some people which I totally get. I absolutely love it though. I’m very lucky to be able to have these and the A18t for two different listening experiences. To me the M5 with M13 (black ATOM module) is an almost balanced signature that’s just turned up to energetic levels. Once you start to add the higher isolating modules the bass really starts to shine through.

When you say a lot of energy you mean what by this? Big bass big treble? Or just big sound and dynamic?

I did find the same statement when switched from tia forte to tia trio.
In my understanding m4 is probably my iem type, cause I think its like trio tuning typo.

I may maybe like less the V shape sound, like forte was V shaped and trio is more dome like.

But I saw Bagdanof say hes prefered iem was the m4, more musical and entertaining tuning and it kinda made a bell ring in me and I thought yea I think that one will suite me more.

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #523 of 6,538
when I demo’d the universal M5 the adapter was provided. I found the 1950s to smooth out that beautiful top end too much, to me the 1960s 4 wire was a much better pairing and I found the change quite noticeable too so to me cable rolling does effect them. To how much ? That’s up to the user, but I could notice 100%. With that said, the stock FiR cable is fantastic.

Is 1960 all copper or silver type?

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #524 of 6,538
When you say a lot of energy you mean what by this? Big bass big treble? Or just big sound and dynamic?

I did find the same statement when switched from tia forte to tia trio.
In my understanding m4 is probably my iem type, cause I think its like trio tuning typo.

I may maybe like less the V shape sound, like forte was V shaped and trio is more dome like.

But I saw Bagdanof say hes prefered iem was the m4, more musical and entertaining tuning and it kinda made a bell ring in me and I thought yea I think that one will suite me more.

Yes basically, to me the M5 has a very interesting sound signature. A lot of people say it is V shaped which I can totally see how that is because the bass presence and treble presence are certainly there, but I do not find the mids recessed at all. To me with the -13db module it’s like taking a balanced signature IEM and turning all the frequencies up a couple of decibels. This is one of those IEMs you can listen to even at low volumes and you’ll always hear that lovely treble and bass extension (versus maybe listening to a bass light IEM and having to turn it up louder to get more thump) without ever feeling the mids are recessed.

Again that’s just my 2c and that’s what I hear :) I had the same impression with the universals with Symbio tips as I do with the custom and -13db ATOM modules.

Is 1960 all copper or silver type?

Copper

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #525 of 6,538
Yes basically, to me the M5 has a very interesting sound signature. A lot of people say it is V shaped which I can totally see how that is because the bass presence and treble presence are certainly there, but I do not find the mids recessed at all. To me with the -13db module it’s like taking a balanced signature IEM and turning all the frequencies up a couple of decibels. This is one of those IEMs you can listen to even at low volumes and you’ll always hear that lovely treble and bass extension (versus maybe listening to a bass light IEM and having to turn it up louder to get more thump) without ever feeling the mids are recessed.

Again that’s just my 2c and that’s what I hear :) I had the same impression with the universals with Symbio tips as I do with the custom and -13db ATOM modules.

Copper

Hmmmm I wonder how my new plussound gold plated silver will pair with m5, its also one heck of high quality cable.

So quiet interesting not V shaped but also with good presence of bass and treble and not mid recessed. Then W shaped I guess lol?

Have you compared m5 vs m4 any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back