Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Dec 31, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #422 of 6,349
Where are we at with the m5 tour?
Whos next :L3000:

Dec 31, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #423 of 6,349
E078B7BF-C6E7-4B77-8DC2-133FEED61704.jpeg These things are beautiful.

Dec 31, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #425 of 6,349
After much time recently in the past few months testing all the best brands of TOTL DAPs and IEMs, I purchased a custom M5 not too long ago as my choice.

Soon I should have my customs in.

Ohh interesting so best iem is M5 and what about daps? Which one you have chosen?

Dec 31, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #426 of 6,349
Ohh interesting so best iem is M5 and what about daps? Which one you have chosen?

Personal preference and my own ears withstanding. Yes I choose the M5. A few made the top of the list but of them I choose the M5 Because of a couple particular reasons.

To give brief insight on to what gear i've tested much of very recently, here's some of the list

FiR Audio M5
FiR Audio M4
Vision ears Elysium
Vision ears - crazy name, pure silver universal super expensive
Vision ears VE8
Vision ears below VE8
Empire Ears Wraith
Empire ears Phantom
Empire Ears Valkyrie
Empire legend X
Legend X SE (special edition)
U12 - 64 audio
JH Audio Layla
QDC Anole VX
Unique Melody full line up
FIBAE full line up
All A&K DAPs
All Cayin DAPs
All Ibasso DAPs
All Sony DAPs

Currently I personally have ownership and in my possession the Campfire Audio Solaris and A&K T8IE MK2. Moving on to others beyond these.

Many many other TOTL brands beyond these I've tried so many, it's too much to list. Ive been traveling Japan and other parts of Asia and have literally been scouring audio shops and testing back to back. FiR popped up out of nowhere wasn't ever in my eyesight or on my list. I didnt know of them when I began my endgame search.

The two other ones I was going to purchase, the Wraith and the Elysium. I originally preferred the Elysium the most. Across all DAPs and my list of music. The reasons I went with FiR and it beat out these two, mainly was the bass, and the way they properly use the electrostats. Not making it a gimmick.

The thing for me is, my ears after years of being a professional in audio engineering and other such music industry, have developed mild Tinnitus to high frequencies. My ears will get a static and ringing sound when they get hit by particular high pitches and especially more frequently when those sounds are off bad quality recordings. So it's a non starter for me if my ears buzz. I can't even listen to may IEMs for more then a few minutes because of this. Or only certain songs. I have this issue mainly with my Solaris currently on some songs and at some times, they cause me this buzz though I enjoy them.

I will probably do a proper posting of the FiR M5 When I recieve my custom but, the 2 things it did better for me then the other two top killers on my list (Elysium and Wraith) was the bass and the electrostats treble. I am in no way a bass head but the impact, extension, depth and just clarity and vibration to the rumble of the lows clearly outmatched the other two and gave a effect of being inside the music beyond the other two. And the emotional response increases in part because of this. The treble doesn't tweak my ears, which is rare for me. It's a issue often. Very beautiful work here.
The Wraith can at times sound better overall or maybe just larger, wider, and more encompassing.. but this required many, many extra thousands of $$ in gear and cables to reach it's pinnacle potential. The M5 out of even just stock 3.5 and a M11 Immediately shined. The Elysium was at first the killer for me in this sense overall as well, however, the bass didn't just fill the shoes the same way the M5 did and it was also $400 ~ cheaper.

Again I will probably more thoroughly cover the Kings and King killers I've experienced and the top of my choices of basically every top and good brand there is in personal audio. (Even headphones, like the Abyss hitting the top of my list quite easily) and how the FiR M5 became my choice and how my customs turn out.. when I recieve them and spend some more time with my own personal ones.

Also, my decision was based on that I was for sure purchasing custom. Not a universal. Keep that in mind for those that want Uni's.

DAP wise - much on that to say another time but.. quickly, Android is a must for me, streaming is 90% my experience. N6ii so far top my list. Possibly M15 now that I recently heard of it based on specs but I have no clue yet on that. Runner up was Hiby R6Pro.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #428 of 6,349
Personal preference and my own ears withstanding. Yes I choose the M5. A few made the top of the list but of them I choose the M5 Because of a couple particular reasons.

To give brief insight on to what gear i've tested much of very recently, here's some of the list

FiR Audio M5
FiR Audio M4
Vision ears Elysium
Vision ears VE8
Vision ears below VE8
Empire Ears Wraith
Empire ears Phantom
Empire Ears Valkyrie
Empire legend X
U12 - 64 audio
JH Audio Layla
QDC Anole VX
FIBAE full line up
All A&K DAPs
All Cayin DAPs
All Ibasso DAPs
All Sony DAPs

Currently I personally have ownership and in my possession the Campfire Audio Solaris and A&K T8IE MK2. Moving on to others beyond these.

Many many other TOTL brands beyond these I've tried so many, it's too much to list. Ive been traveling Japan and other parts of Asia and have literally been scouring audio shops and testing back to back. FiR popped up out of nowhere wasn't ever in my eyesight or on my list. I didnt know of them when I began my endgame search.

The two other ones I was going to purchase, the Wraith and the Elysium. I originally preferred the Elysium the most. Across all DAPs and my list of music. The reasons I went with FiR and it beat out these two, mainly was the bass, and the way they properly use the electrostats. Not making it a gimmick.

The thing for me is, my ears after years of being a professional in audio engineering and other such music industry, have developed mild Tinnitus to high frequencies. My ears will get a static and ringing sound when they get hit by particular high pitches and especially more frequently when those sounds are off bad quality recordings. So it's a non starter for me if my ears buzz. I can't even listen to may IEMs for more then a few minutes because of this. Or only certain songs. I have this issue mainly with my Solaris currently on some songs and at some times, they cause me this buzz though I enjoy them.

I will probably do a proper posting of the FiR M5 When I recieve my custom but, the 2 things it did better for me then the other two top killers on my list (Elysium and Wraith) was the bass and the electrostats treble. I am in no way a bass head but the impact, extension, depth and just clarity and vibration to the rumble of the lows clearly outmatched the other two and gave a effect of being inside the music beyond the other two. And the emotional response increases in part because of this. The treble doesn't tweak my ears, which is rare for me. It's a issue often. Very beautiful work here.
The Wraith can at times sound better overall or maybe just larger, wider, and more encompassing.. but this required many, many extra thousands of $$ in gear and cables to reach it's pinnacle potential. The M5 out of even just stock 3.5 and a M11 Immediately shined. The Elysium was at first the killer for me in this sense overall as well, however, the bass didn't just fill the shoes the same way the M5 did and it was also $400 ~ cheaper.

Again I will probably more thoroughly cover the Kings and King killers I've experienced and the top of my choices of basically every top and good brand there is in personal audio. (Even headphones, like the Abyss hitting the top of my list quite easily) and how the FiR M5 became my choice and how my customs turn out.. when I recieve them and spend some more time with my own personal ones.

Also, my decision was based on that I was for sure purchasing custom. Not a universal. Keep that in mind for those that want Uni's.

DAP wise - much on that to say another time but.. quickly, Android is a must for me, streaming is 90% my experience. N6ii so far top my list. Possibly M15 now that I recently heard of it based on specs but I have no clue yet on that. Runner up was Hiby R6Pro.
Well that ringing will never stop. Can get worse and iems wont help. Happy new year.

Dec 31, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #430 of 6,349
@Lucidmotion welcome to the M5 fam:) I should have my customs within a few weeks

Thanks! I am definitely a lurker and not a poster. I have read for years. Done my own thing for years. Never once posted. I have no social media accounts at all. None. It's not my thing. But I literally created one just today for my plan to write up about my experience with finding and reaching my endgame. And these FiRs I found so randomly out of the blue never knowing of them.

- The diamond in the rough

Dec 31, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #431 of 6,349
Well that ringing will never stop. Can get worse and iems wont help. Happy new year.

Yes I have been to many audiologists through the years and having been previous working professional engineer I know much of it myself. It's actually not true "Tinnitus" - it's a sensitivity. But the effect is similar and thus I describe it such for quick understanding. But yes I know how to work it best and generally I am a 2 channel guy. But often I've been traveling a lot in recent years and so have delved into portable audio.

Dec 31, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #433 of 6,349
ordered my M4 today, can't wait for mine!

Rpyy, spill: what made you pick the M4 in particular. What other IEMs did you listen to while deciding?

Dec 31, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #434 of 6,349
Rpyy, spill: what made you pick the M4 in particular. What other IEMs did you listen to while deciding?

for the last year my main UIEMs is CA Solaris then I decided to go for CIEMs for this year, i research a lot about CIEMs. At first my budget is not much and it was like Empire ears ESR is best matching with Cayiin N6ii for me, and for some reason I decided to increase my budget and here is the list i have tried before order M4

Yes, M5 is the best but not suit my budget
FiR Audio - M5, M4, M3
EmpireEars - ESR, Nemesis, Phantom, Vantage
Lime ears - Aether, Model X
Vision ears - VE3.2, 4.2
there is a lot more but for the rest i cant remember, sorry about this.
I know it weird about my compare list(with my budget) at first my dealer didn't tell the price about M4 and i just choose them for what is the best for me(oops, that hurt my pocket)

I'm unsure about the sound from all of my test list
but here is the reason that i choose M4 over it all
At first my mindset like which one is better than ESR and i do a random test by my dealer so I can do a bit compare with ESR (price is not matching to compare)
ESR - is flat, easy to catch me up but I'm scare to get bore with they sound. M4 are more enjoyable to listen, everything is perfect for me and matching very well with N6ii.
Finally, after i known the price of M4. I do compare with other brands with the same price range and still end up with FiR M4.

If my budget is enough i will go for M5 for sure

DAPs using, N6ii and M11 Pro

Sorry for not have much info about sound of IEMs because I test a lot and it was like more than 15hrs ago, I can't remember it all.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #435 of 6,349

FiR Audio M5
FiR Audio M4
Vision ears Elysium
Vision ears VE8
Vision ears below VE8
Empire Ears Wraith
Empire ears Phantom
Empire Ears Valkyrie
Empire legend X
U12 - 64 audio
JH Audio Layla
QDC Anole VX
FIBAE full line up
All A&K DAPs
All Cayin DAPs
All Ibasso DAPs
All Sony DAPs

Wow thats quiet a feedback thanks!

That tinnitus problem is big bummer so sad its affecting your music fun.
For me I feel like I am developing a pressure sensitiveness with to tightly sealed iems. The air pressure system that comes with Fir is most have for me actually. Cant go without it relief so much fatiguing is crazzy.

Thats quiet very impressive to see that you tried so many iems and have finisht your route at M5, they musta be something really good.
I found about them cause I asked a silly question on 64audio thread if there where any other iems brands that use apex technology and @toaster22 has talked to me about the Fir audio and I was oh yea? Whos this???
When I learned that it has the same tech as 64a and even better I immediately got in big time.

I loved tia forte but treble is way to piercing, then I tried empire ears phantoms and they were really good but no dd in there....
I tried z1r and also sold it. Now I stoped at tia trio and love them, so I need to trie M4 and M5 and maybe exchange my trios if Fir audio is much better or more to my liking....

I also had hd800s and hdv820 before, tried utopias and HE-1 also hd820 closed back.

I turned away from headphones as they dont reach the lvl of purity and cleanest of iems. I think iems are more superior vs headphones.
Headphones have too much resonance or other issues..

As for daps I got wm1z and for me streaming spotify premium is a must have! I use bluetooth Ldac function.
I had cayin n6ii and my wm1z sounds better even on Bluetooth!
Yes n6ii 8s awsome but it didnt had enough for me to swap...

Now I will to give a test on cayin N8
But with new fiio M15 I am completely intrigued and pretty exited about the specs and components it seems very high end, wonder how it compares....

But wm1z is very hard to beat but no streaming so stuck with bluetooth Ldac zzz

Oh yea I also got a new cable on the way from plussound the gold plated silver it can be reterminated for Fir mmcx if I decide to go M5 or M4

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back