Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Dec 31, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #436 of 6,538
Wow thats quiet a feedback thanks!

That tinnitus problem is big bummer so sad its affecting your music fun.
For me I feel like I am developing a pressure sensitiveness with to tightly sealed iems. The air pressure system that comes with Fir is most have for me actually. Cant go without it relief so much fatiguing is crazzy.

Thats quiet very impressive to see that you tried so many iems and have finisht your route at M5, they musta be something really good.
I found about them cause I asked a silly question on 64audio thread if there where any other iems brands that use apex technology and @toaster22 has talked to me about the Fir audio and I was oh yea? Whos this???
When I learned that it has the same tech as 64a and even better I immediately got in big time.

I loved tia forte but treble is way to piercing, then I tried empire ears phantoms and they were really good but no dd in there....
I tried z1r and also sold it. Now I stoped at tia trio and love them, so I need to trie M4 and M5 and maybe exchange my trios if Fir audio is much better or more to my liking....

I also had hd800s and hdv820 before, tried utopias and HE-1 also hd820 closed back.

I turned away from headphones as they dont reach the lvl of purity and cleanest of iems. I think iems are more superior vs headphones.
Headphones have too much resonance or other issues..

As for daps I got wm1z and for me streaming spotify premium is a must have! I use bluetooth Ldac function.
I had cayin n6ii and my wm1z sounds better even on Bluetooth!
Yes n6ii 8s awsome but it didnt had enough for me to swap...

Now I will to give a test on cayin N8
But with new fiio M15 I am completely intrigued and pretty exited about the specs and components it seems very high end, wonder how it compares....

But wm1z is very hard to beat but no streaming so stuck with bluetooth Ldac zzz

Oh yea I also got a new cable on the way from plussound the gold plated silver it can be reterminated for Fir mmcx if I decide to go M5 or M4

I have also ordered a M5 and expecting them in 2 weeks.

Would like to hear from your impression on the combo of M5 and the new cable.
Seems someone has mentioned about the LID tech on M5 which makes cable-rolling a bit irrelevant in the output.

Would like to see if you have the same impression when u get the new cable.

Thanks in advance

Jan 1, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #437 of 6,538
for the last year my main UIEMs is CA Solaris then I decided to go for CIEMs for this year, i research a lot about CIEMs. At first my budget is not much and it was like Empire ears ESR is best matching with Cayiin N6ii for me, and for some reason I decided to increase my budget and here is the list i have tried before order M4

Yes, M5 is the best but not suit my budget
FiR Audio - M5, M4, M3
EmpireEars - ESR, Nemesis, Phantom, Vantage
Lime ears - Aether, Model X
Vision ears - VE3.2, 4.2
there is a lot more but for the rest i cant remember, sorry about this.
I know it weird about my compare list(with my budget) at first my dealer didn't tell the price about M4 and i just choose them for what is the best for me(oops, that hurt my pocket)

I'm unsure about the sound from all of my test list
but here is the reason that i choose M4 over it all
At first my mindset like which one is better than ESR and i do a random test by my dealer so I can do a bit compare with ESR (price is not matching to compare)
ESR - is flat, easy to catch me up but I'm scare to get bore with they sound. M4 are more enjoyable to listen, everything is perfect for me and matching very well with N6ii.
Finally, after i known the price of M4. I do compare with other brands with the same price range and still end up with FiR M4.

If my budget is enough i will go for M5 for sure

DAPs using, N6ii and M11 Pro

Sorry for not have much info about sound of IEMs because I test a lot and it was like more than 15hrs ago, I can't remember it all.

The Aether were surprisingly punching high above their bracket in my test. I liked them. But for having so many options in front of me I quickly realized that a well done DD just completes the music experience in a way that BA only just has lacking. Once you've heard it well done, everything else, though maybe sounding superb, just has this piece I feel always missing.

Originally I was going to go M4 as well. But when I narrowed it down to M5 and M4, the M4 is nearly as good, but the spaciousness and the air that the electrostats give on the M5 was something that really completed the painting for me. And I decided the price difference investment now, planning on holding at Endgame for years, was worth the difference. Rather then purchasing M4 and at some point spending the full amount again to upgrade, make the few Hundred $$ extra payment now and just be settled at the top. There's just a level of difference to the M5.. It's as if someone blindfolded you but just in the top 1/4 of your eyes. You can still see out of the bottom 3/4 quite well. But then you use the M5 and the electrostats just take the blindfold off and unlock that full space for you to see 100%.

You will be happy with the M4 though. I found nearly no other that I would have chosen in that price bracket. The only other ones that do it for me and compete truly with the M4 would be in the price bracket of higher then the M5. The Phantoms were quite good for me too. But again just missing that piece of the painting.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #438 of 6,538
I have also ordered a M5 and expecting them in 2 weeks.

Would like to hear from your impression on the combo of M5 and the new cable.
Seems someone has mentioned about the LID tech on M5 which makes cable-rolling a bit irrelevant in the output.

Would like to see if you have the same impression when u get the new cable.

Thanks in advance

Was this question aimed at me?

Ill answer I'vewith asmy experience as Ive seen it anyways. To me, the stock 8 wire is the best cable for the M5. Balanced if you can. But they really give you a high quality and well matched cable right out of the box. Unlike literally almost every other company that gives a sub-par cable that you want to upgrade, FiR gives you the best match right out of the box.

Not much of an effect of difference to cable rolling. The bigger changes are made through changing DAPs. The only noticable differences I can say you can get to improve the M5 with a cable, you would have to get cables that cost well into the thousands $$. Close to or more then the actual IEMs themselves. That's when it actually starts to make a difference. Now I didn't test a plethora of cables. But I tried almost the full cable lineup that empire ears uses and also PW Audio and a few other notable companies. Which to me, thousands on a cable isn't worth it. I'd rather add to my other systems. To have the best sound in every listening situation. (Speakers, car, etc)

I think if you re-terminate a cable to the FiR RCX rather then using the connector, it's possible to more easily establish a difference in sound. However, let it be noted, I'm not a tinkerer. I like to just pick up something and it sound beautifully and exactly the way I want. Rather then spending time and money tinkering around I'd rather just spend the time searching for the one that ticks every box for me and then just putting them on and pressing play. To get that experience everytime, not fiddling around trying to change/tweak/etc. For me it ruins the experience of the music. I don't want to think in the middle of a song "Oh man this would be better if x part was changed with Y." I want to just press play and it be exactly how I want it. So that's what I put the time into finding first. And not fiddling later. I am in it for the music experience not the gear experience.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #439 of 6,538
Was this question aimed at me?

Ill answer I'vewith asmy experience as Ive seen it anyways. To me, the stock 8 wire is the best cable for the M5. Balanced if you can. But they really give you a high quality and well matched cable right out of the box. Unlike literally almost every other company that gives a sub-par cable that you want to upgrade, FiR gives you the best match right out of the box.

Not much of an effect of difference to cable rolling. The bigger changes are made through changing DAPs. The only noticable differences I can say you can get to improve the M5 with a cable, you would have to get cables that cost well into the thousands $$. Close to or more then the actual IEMs themselves. That's when it actually starts to make a difference. Now I didn't test a plethora of cables. But I tried almost the full cable lineup that empire ears uses and also PW Audio and a few other notable companies. Which to me, thousands on a cable isn't worth it. I'd rather add to my other systems. To have the best sound in every listening situation. (Speakers, car, etc)

I think if you re-terminate a cable to the FiR RCX rather then using the connector, it's possible to more easily establish a difference in sound. However, let it be noted, I'm not a tinkerer. I like to just pick up something and it sound beautifully and exactly the way I want. Rather then spending time and money tinkering around I'd rather just spend the time searching for the one that ticks every box for me and then just putting them on and pressing play. To get that experience everytime, not fiddling around trying to change/tweak/etc. For me it ruins the experience of the music. I don't want to think in the middle of a song "Oh man this would be better if x part was changed with Y." I want to just press play and it be exactly how I want it. So that's what I put the time into finding first. And not fiddling later. I am in it for the music experience not the gear experience.

Thanks very much for your input, mate.

Yeah, agreed 100% that this hobby is about what is the sound we like, rather than what is the gear to achieve such sound.

Was looking at 1960 before, but eventually found out it match well with SP1000 but not DX200+Amp8+9. Eventually moved to look for a DAP which gives the sound I prefer.

Now settled down with the DX220+AMP8EXFE, but also trying to test my wallet with a WM1Z (maybe the K-mod) if it can give me the "ultimate sound".

Am quite sure my upcoming M5 will be a good match to my DAP though. The sound signature is similar to A18t but with more extension in both ends.

Thanks again for your advice.
Happy New Year!

Jan 1, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #440 of 6,538
My self I consider that I heard so many gear and being an audiophile with 4 years of listening, now I have around 3000 hours of listening done.

From everything I had I always upgraded to a better iem further down the road...
Cable rolling, tips rolling, dap rolling all make changes and differences in sound always.

Its hard to have all settled in and think oh now I have the best gear lol.
No there is always something lurking in the background that will be better then what you have atm hahah

There is also a fact that will twinkle inside you, ohh I gota hear this gear I think its going to be crazzy good yes...
We always upgrade.

Now after hearing so much stuff and having spend also a huge amount of cash cause it aint cheap this hobby...

I realise that even most expensive gear can be not as good or offer what I am looking for...

My next huge steps are
Fir M5 or keep my tia trio
Cayin N8, Fiio M15 or keep my wm1z .
I got a feeling new wm1z successor is on the horizon...

What I love about M5 is that it has very high quality built and its a new generation hybrid, probably tuned better then tia forte which I really liked but felt like missed tuned unfortunately .
Come along with air pressure tech, lid, tubeless, new strong mmcx, also a very highend cable.
So Il have 2 cable to play with )

Jan 1, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #441 of 6,538
Thanks very much for your input, mate.

Yeah, agreed 100% that this hobby is about what is the sound we like, rather than what is the gear to achieve such sound.

Was looking at 1960 before, but eventually found out it match well with SP1000 but not DX200+Amp8+9. Eventually moved to look for a DAP which gives the sound I prefer.

Now settled down with the DX220+AMP8EXFE, but also trying to test my wallet with a WM1Z (maybe the K-mod) if it can give me the "ultimate sound".

Am quite sure my upcoming M5 will be a good match to my DAP though. The sound signature is similar to A18t but with more extension in both ends.

Thanks again for your advice.
Happy New Year!

I’m using the M5 with 1Z SE at the moment cause my dealer messed up my order, balanced cable on the way. Sound wise it’s great, no issues on my side.

Twister6 also mentioned in his review that the 1Z is an excellent pair up.

https://twister6.com/2019/10/10/fir-audio-m5-2/4/

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #442 of 6,538
I’m using the M5 with 1Z SE at the moment cause my dealer messed up my order, balanced cable on the way. Sound wise it’s great, no issues on my side.

Twister6 also mentioned in his review that the 1Z is an excellent pair up.

https://twister6.com/2019/10/10/fir-audio-m5-2/4/

I am listening to my trio from 1z via se to atm.

I find the se sounds more natural vs the 4.4
I feel that the balanced output is slightly overboosted with power hmm.
That happens when I listen to much and get like over build up of listening flavor of sound.

1z software enhancement are pretty darn too, u can literally change its sound into new signature.

I also like to listen on high gain, for better dynamics and rumble in bass :L3000:

Jan 1, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #443 of 6,538
My self I consider that I heard so many gear and being an audiophile with 4 years of listening, now I have around 3000 hours of listening done.

From everything I had I always upgraded to a better iem further down the road...
Cable rolling, tips rolling, dap rolling all make changes and differences in sound always.

Its hard to have all settled in and think oh now I have the best gear lol.
No there is always something lurking in the background that will be better then what you have atm hahah

There is also a fact that will twinkle inside you, ohh I gota hear this gear I think its going to be crazzy good yes...
We always upgrade.

Now after hearing so much stuff and having spend also a huge amount of cash cause it aint cheap this hobby...

I realise that even most expensive gear can be not as good or offer what I am looking for...

My next huge steps are

What I love about M5 is that it has very high quality built and its a new generation hybrid, probably tuned better then tia forte which I really liked but felt like missed tuned unfortunately .
Come along with air pressure tech, lid, tubeless, new strong mmcx, also a very highend cable.
So Il have 2 cable to play with )

Yeah, I also believe given the age of 1Z, it should be about time for its next gen....
But think it is more about the functionality such as WiFi + Streaming, ability to plug an ext SSD, etc. Hopefully it s not going to change the sound signature which is my preferred sound type "at the moment".
Well, gonna try a mod WM1Z next week. See if its sound is what I m after.... Or else will keep on enjoying my DX228EXFE until the next gen is born....

Jan 1, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #444 of 6,538
Yeah, I also believe given the age of 1Z, it should be about time for its next gen....
But think it is more about the functionality such as WiFi + Streaming, ability to plug an ext SSD, etc. Hopefully it s not going to change the sound signature which is my preferred sound type "at the moment".
Well, gonna try a mod WM1Z next week. See if its sound is what I m after.... Or else will keep on enjoying my DX228EXFE until the next gen is born....

So you prefer dx228ex ( ? fe ? )
Over
Wm1z?

I find ibasso buggy and has software issues, after my experience with dx200 witch was horrible sq....
I am not confident with ibasso no more.

I know there is an dx220max in the process

Jan 1, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #445 of 6,538
So you prefer dx228ex ( ? fe ? )
Over
Wm1z?

I find ibasso buggy and has software issues, after my experience with dx200 witch was horrible sq....
I am not confident with ibasso no more.

I know there is an dx220max in the process

Well, I used to enjoy SPk when I first started the journey. But after a while I started to miss the "emotion" of the music, and then I found DX228 can provide. Lately got the Amp 8EX Fan Edition which I think not that far behind to the hi-end DAPs. Also like the tube sound of Amp9 but at the moment I used my DX228EXFE the most.
Compared to 1Z, think DX228 lack the control in the bass spectrum, so sometimes sounds a bit congested to me. Sound wise think 228EXFE is moving towards the WM1Z direction, but not as refined and controlled as the Sony.
Re the UI, no doubt it s a bit laggy, but I m not using it for surfing or gaming. Just turn the music on, enjoy it, and that is what I require from a DAP.

Jan 1, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #446 of 6,538
for the last year my main UIEMs is CA Solaris then I decided to go for CIEMs for this year, i research a lot about CIEMs. At first my budget is not much and it was like Empire ears ESR is best matching with Cayiin N6ii for me, and for some reason I decided to increase my budget and here is the list i have tried before order M4

Yes, M5 is the best but not suit my budget
FiR Audio - M5, M4, M3
EmpireEars - ESR, Nemesis, Phantom, Vantage
Lime ears - Aether, Model X
Vision ears - VE3.2, 4.2
there is a lot more but for the rest i cant remember, sorry about this.
I know it weird about my compare list(with my budget) at first my dealer didn't tell the price about M4 and i just choose them for what is the best for me(oops, that hurt my pocket)

I'm unsure about the sound from all of my test list
but here is the reason that i choose M4 over it all
At first my mindset like which one is better than ESR and i do a random test by my dealer so I can do a bit compare with ESR (price is not matching to compare)
ESR - is flat, easy to catch me up but I'm scare to get bore with they sound. M4 are more enjoyable to listen, everything is perfect for me and matching very well with N6ii.
Finally, after i known the price of M4. I do compare with other brands with the same price range and still end up with FiR M4.

If my budget is enough i will go for M5 for sure

DAPs using, N6ii and M11 Pro

Sorry for not have much info about sound of IEMs because I test a lot and it was like more than 15hrs ago, I can't remember it all.

Thank you for all of that. I am looking forward to reading your more detailed posts about the IEMs you've heard recently. Especially the M4, of course.

My next huge steps are

You may have already posted this, but if you've heard the Trio, the M3 and M4, I'd love to read about what you heard. The Trio is on my short list, but I haven't heard it yet. I really enjoyed the week I had with the M3. As somebody in this thread said, "there's just something about DD bass, if it's well done". My favorite IEMs right now (budget up to TOTL-ish) have dynamic drivers, and low driver counts. I have been less impressed by offerings with ten or twelve or even more drivers recently. So I'd like to hear lots of details about how the M3 stacks up against the Trio.

...but I m not using it for surfing or gaming. Just turn the music on, enjoy it, and that is what I require from a DAP.

This may sound like heresy, but that's one of my favorite characteristics of the A&K Junior (no longer available new). It is so simple (of course, it also lacks lots of the capabilities of more sophisticated DAPs). I can plug it directly into either my Mac or PC and it gets recognized and I can load music directly to it (no SD card required). Then I can just turn it on and play for hours between charges. No streaming, though. No EQ. Only a few GB of internal memory. All that is worth it, though, for when I'm at work and just playing music continuously.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #447 of 6,538
Thank you for all of that. I am looking forward to reading your more detailed posts about the IEMs you've heard recently. Especially the M4, of course.

You may have already posted this, but if you've heard the Trio, the M3 and M4, I'd love to read about what you heard. The Trio is on my short list, but I haven't heard it yet. I really enjoyed the week I had with the M3. As somebody in this thread said, "there's just something about DD bass, if it's well done". My favorite IEMs right now (budget up to TOTL-ish) have dynamic drivers, and low driver counts. I have been less impressed by offerings with ten or twelve or even more drivers recently. So I'd like to hear lots of details about how the M3 stacks up against the Trio.

This may sound like heresy, but that's one of my favorite characteristics of the A&K Junior (no longer available new). It is so simple (of course, it also lacks lots of the capabilities of more sophisticated DAPs). I can plug it directly into either my Mac or PC and it gets recognized and I can load music directly to it (no SD card required). Then I can just turn it on and play for hours between charges. No streaming, though. No EQ. Only a few GB of internal memory. All that is worth it, though, for when I'm at work and just playing music continuously.

Yep once I get the m5 and then m4 Il share my impressions

Jan 1, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #448 of 6,538
for anyone who own FiR IEMs, what is the best matching DAPs for you.
I don't have any DAPs yet, waiting to try M15 first then i will decide what DAPs that I will use (for now from what i have tried before and it's the best matching for me is Cayiin N6ii). I know there is a lot of DAPs that better than this but my budget is limit.

Can't wait to compare N6ii with M15.
--------------------
If anyone have many DAPs to use with FiR IEMs, I will appreciate if you can do review for me.

Jan 1, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #449 of 6,538
for anyone who own FiR IEMs, what is the best matching DAPs for you.
I don't have any DAPs yet, waiting to try M15 first then i will decide what DAPs that I will use (for now from what i have tried before and it's the best matching for me is Cayiin N6ii). I know there is a lot of DAPs that better than this but my budget is limit.

Can't wait to compare N6ii with M15.
--------------------
If anyone have many DAPs to use with FiR IEMs, I will appreciate if you can do review for me.

You got android daps
Fiio , ibasso, cayin, shanling
Native os or pure
N8, lotoo paw gold touch, wm1z and a&k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back