Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Nov 24, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #5,521 of 6,244
How is the size and fit of the E12 as compared to your Xe6 and Rn6? could you post some pics of the IEMs side by side? I was going to order the E12 but wasn't too much of a fan of the Gold and Rainbow logo options. The Rainbow logo does look more silver than I initially thought so I might get it later down the line. I did consider ordering the E12 but due to the Black Friday 20% off deal going on for all FiR IEMs, I decided to get a universal Xe6 earlier this week. Can't wait to see if the Xe6 will appease my need for more warmth than I get with my Rn6 on gold module. How is the bass of the E12 as compared to Xe6 and Rn6?

They fit similar other Frontier UNIEMs and visually a tad thicker shell.

Ja the rainbow effect on E12 and FiRry logos when viewing front on is subtle. When angled, the rainbow effect is more visible which works well with default faceplate. Still waiting for my custom Obsidian Sparkle + rainbow E12-FiRry logo.

XE6 is more mid-bass and RN6 more sub. E12 leans Rn6 in bass but with more prominent bass and sub depending on track if that makes sense. E12's Tactile Bass adds some nice weight to vocals and hint of fullness in lows. I hear E12 more V than RN6's warm balanced reference sig.

IMG_0487.JPG

Nov 24, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #5,522 of 6,244
Friday new FiRry Electron 12 arrival day and apologies for the quick poop iPhone pics.

Quick impressions:

I hear tuning slightly different than Frontiers. Details similar to RN6, soundstage is a bit more intimate - not as deep but excellent layering – though I'm hearing E12 opening up more as I continue to listen. Bass is nice, textured, good impact, hits hard. Upper mids are forward, but not shrilly or shouty - there's great clarity which was first impression. Overall not bright or trebly, there's some nice weight to vocals I'm hearing with a couple of opera's such Ståle Kleiberg:

and latest release of Puccini's Tosca:

Henry Jackman's "Louisiana Hero" has a this airy heroic vibe

Damian Lazrus and The Ancient Moons
Rumbles oh so good while vocals staying coherent

Nils Petter Molvaer and Norwegian Radio Orchestra
Airy and detailed with excellent instrument layering. Nil's trumpeting sounds lush and emotive with tactile bass adding nice bass impact and texture.

IMG_0477.jpegIMG_0479.jpegIMG_0485.jpegIMG_0483.jpeg
IMG_0495.JPG
Love the embed music and that DAP looks glorious. Look forward to more impressions✌🏼

Nov 24, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #5,523 of 6,244
I don’t want to sound like I’m going on the offensive. I’ll be the first to admit I might have experienced some fit issues… but I would characterise Rn6 sub-bass as having a ‘roundness’ and the upper bass having a punchiness which feels like you’re getting slapped in the face. The transients in the upper bass here come across with much attack and faster than usual decay. But there is an area higher up from the ‘round’ sub bass and an area below the punchy upper bass which is absent from the Rn6. I find it difficult to really put into words but there’s something textural missing. There is something between these two frequencies that isn’t being reproduced properly which usually gives colour and definition to the bass notes. I know this is case because of the timing. With the Rn6 the bass is either super fast or slower than normal but it isn’t able to reproduce the speed very well in between.

Edit: long ramble but what I’m really saying is that main body or fundamental of the bass note is missing.
I don't think you are mis-hearing anything about Rn6 when it comes to it's lower frequencies. While I don't find Rn6 absence of mid-bass/lower-midrange warmth a total deal-breaker, I much prefer the significantly warmer, more coloured Xe6....
Can't wait to see if the Xe6 will appease my need for more warmth than I get with my Rn6 on gold module.
... I think you will be very happy with Xe6 if that's what you're after!!

Nov 24, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #5,524 of 6,244
Surprised about this but I assumed I would like the red module more but when trying the black, been liking that more lately.

Have yet to try the silver/gold modules, but for me the red makes the vocals sound slightly unatural.

Edit: Just tried gold and it's little too warm for me. I think black is my personal sweet spot.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #5,525 of 6,244
Surprised about this but I assumed I would like the red module more but when trying the black, been liking that more lately.

Have yet to try the silver/gold modules, but for me the red makes the vocals sound slightly unatural.
There's a flavor for every taste!

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #5,526 of 6,244
Anyone else ever tried a Penon Leo Plus cable with your Frontier Series?

I just did with my Xe6...ohhhhmygoodness. Why did it take me this long to figure this out when I had this cable all along!?

The Xe6 sounds more airy and separated than ever, but bass still rumbling! This might be better than Code 23 and Rn6 stock. I love this hobby (most of the time)!!!

Nov 25, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #5,528 of 6,244
Random side note... after experimenting more, I do like Orphy with Jewel more than with the RN6. With that said, I am absolutely not saying that Orphy with RN6 is a poor match at all.

On the Jewel the 1950s shielding makes some of the vocals sound a little shouty (though on VERY rare occasions) anyone else share similar experiences?

The bass on the Jewel is already semi light to begin with so Orphy adds some nice bass weight. I know some have mentioned having an external amp for the Jewel to resolve the light bass but I decided to keep my portable set up light and simple for 2 reasons.

1. excuse to save money
2. practical travel
3. sometimes already annoyed with unpacking and packing away "only" the DAP and IEMs for use during travel

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #5,529 of 6,244
Random side note... after experimenting more, I do like Orphy with Jewel more than with the RN6. With that said, I am absolutely not saying that Orphy with RN6 is a poor match at all.

On the Jewel the 1950s shielding makes some of the vocals sound a little shouty (though on VERY rare occasions) anyone else share similar experiences?

The bass on the Jewel is already semi light to begin with so Orphy adds some nice bass weight. I know some have mentioned having an external amp for the Jewel to resolve the light bass but I decided to keep my portable set up light and simple for 2 reasons.

1. excuse to save money
2. practical travel
3. sometimes already annoyed with unpacking and packing away "only" the DAP and IEMs for use during travel
Orphys + Jewel is a match made in heaven 😇
And yeah it sounds good on RN6 too, but the problem is I have a hard time finding the right tips for RN6 and because of that I suffer inconsistencies of performance plus I prefer XE6 sound signature after all 😂

Nov 25, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #5,531 of 6,244
Orphys + Jewel is a match made in heaven 😇
And yeah it sounds good on RN6 too, but the problem is I have a hard time finding the right tips for RN6 and because of that I suffer inconsistencies of performance plus I prefer XE6 sound signature after all 😂
Fully agree, Jewel + Orphy is truly heaven.

I like that combo even more than the extremely popular 1950s + u18t combo.

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #5,532 of 6,244
@Auricon Tell me: to E12 or not to E12?

That's a bit tough since we both have RN6. I hear E12 balanced with revealing detail and engaging musicality for a single driver. Soundstage is realistic/intimate with nice spatial/spherical presentation but never sounds constricted. E12 is surprisingly very resolving with pinpoiny instrument placement and layering. Mids are nicely detailed with natural extended high. Close fit is essential to deliver Tactile Bass impact vibration and extension. With that, E12 bass and sub bass are satisfying with deep impact, rumble, excellent texture and adept separation.

I'm enjoying E12 quite a lot – it's surprisingly detailed, cohesive, balanced and musically engaging where I hear a dash of XE6 and RN6 in this single DD.

I consider E12 as a great gateway/entry into FiR – exceptional tuning, solid FiR construction, lightweight, customization.

Tonights test playlist:

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #5,533 of 6,244
For the firmware are they going to maybe give option to disable the side buttons? There has been so many requests/complaints about this. I really hope they work on this given all the feedback since from a year ago.

Respectfully, please.

@JasonNYC

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #5,534 of 6,244
I’m having a hard time with the lack of mid bass and lower midrange warmth on the Rn6. Anyone have any cable recommendations that won’t break the bank? I find the bass not really all that textured. It does sub bass and upper bass but I hear a bit of hole somewhere in the middle. Any tips on fixing this? I find gold and silver module adds sub bass bloom but doesn’t add any more definition down low, just more of what’s already there. I think it’s a dealbreaker if I can’t fix this. People saying I should go XE6 but it goes too far the other way and imo not worth the extra money over the Rn6 which is clearly more detailed of the two.

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #5,535 of 6,244
I’m having a hard time with the lack of mid bass and lower midrange warmth on the Rn6. Anyone have any cable recommendations that won’t break the bank? I find the bass not really all that textured. It does sub bass and upper bass but I hear a bit of hole somewhere in the middle. Any tips on fixing this? I find gold and silver module adds sub bass bloom but doesn’t add any more definition down low, just more of what’s already there. I think it’s a dealbreaker if I can’t fix this. People saying I should go XE6 but it goes too far the other way and imo not worth the extra money over the Rn6 which is clearly more detailed of the two.

Appreciate it's not a cable, but could you use some EQ? I just bought the Qudelix T71 and its got an amazing PEQ option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back