Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Nov 22, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #5,491 of 6,349
It's pure OCC silver with copper shielding.
So why does it sound almost exactly like the EA Code 23!? It's so strange, but these cables sound so similar to me! This is with Xe6.

Nov 22, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #5,493 of 6,349
Anyone else feel they get varying levels of kinetic bass ‘feeling’ with their RN6. Some days I really feel it working and other days not. To add to this I mostly stick to black module and some days I’ll switch to red and it feels like I get more of that sensation but then I’ll give my ears a rest and listen again and it’s not there anymore in the same way.

Kind of drives me mad I can’t get consistent results. I guess this might be a silly question but does anyone have any tips on insertion or how it should sit in the ear. I basically ram the iems as far into my ear as I can so the kinetic bass drives makes as much contact with the ear as possible. Am I missing something?
You are not alone Sir!

For my ears I need to push in, then angle upwards while pushing on the bottom of the IEM.

I also think brain burn-in may also contribute at times.

Tempted to try CIEM but have directed funds to other sets/flavours instead 🙂

Interested to hear what others say.

Nov 22, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #5,494 of 6,349
So why does it sound almost exactly like the EA Code 23!? It's so strange, but these cables sound so similar to me! This is with Xe6.
I have a couple of silver cables that have copper characteristics – Cleo II OCTA, ET Illiad.

Is this a normal mix though? AFAIK this is my first time seeing cable mix like that. Usually it's SPC isn't it?
I can't recall pure silver with copper shielding – definitely my first – usually is SPC, pure silver, GPS, etc.

Nov 23, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #5,495 of 6,349
I have a couple of silver cables that have copper characteristics – Cleo II OCTA, ET Illiad.

I can't recall pure silver with copper shielding – definitely my first – usually is SPC, pure silver, GPS, etc.
Interesting, as Iliad is often recommended for Xe6. So insane that the Code 23, a single core copper, can sound just like this particular stock silver cable.

Nov 23, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #5,496 of 6,349
You are not alone Sir!

For my ears I need to push in, then angle upwards while pushing on the bottom of the IEM.

I also think brain burn-in may also contribute at times.

Tempted to try CIEM but have directed funds to other sets/flavours instead 🙂

Interested to hear what others say.
My recent comparison was with Uni Xe6 vs my CIEM, but here's what I wrote a couple weeks ago based on testing out both side-by-side for a few weeks. I suspect you'd experience similar with Rn6:

"I was also very interested to a/b the universal Xe6 vs my custom, and for this I did use the stock cable on both to take that variable out of the equation. Of course, these are probably 90% the same as each other, but that last 10% or so is pretty important I believe. With the custom you get much better isolation, a perfect fit, and the kind of long-term comfort that you can listen for hours on end with zero fatigue. Another lifestyle difference with the custom is that the ATOM modules are much easier to deal with. But the biggest difference I heard was that the CIEM is much more coherent than the universal. This is probably down to the difference in fit between them, and the perfect seal that you get with the custom. I had never thought coherence was an "issue" with the universal Xe6, but going back and forth it was more obvious which notes were being produced with the kinetic bass driver down low vs the BAs/estat up high on the universal; whereas with the CIEM the entire frequency response curve felt much more seamless and presented together as a complete whole."

I'll repeat what I've said elsewhere, if you're at all committed long-term to the sound-signature of one of the Frontiers, CIEM is a total no-brainer. You're adventure with tips, getting the uni sat just right in your ear canals is of course not at all a thing with the CIEM.

Nov 23, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #5,497 of 6,349
Does anyone know if a universal RN6 can be made into a custom? I know a couple other manufacturers have done this is in the past such as Unique Melody.

As for the stock cable I very much hear it as silver because it adds a fair bit more treble compared to something like Ares 2 which is much smoother and a bit rolled off but only in comparison. Call me crazy but I like all copper much more vs stock. Stock sounds more detailed but also sounds like it’s got a bit of a high pass filter lifting the whole upper region and to my ears sounds a bit scratchy when there’s a lot of high tempo snares and hi hats layered on top of each other. With copper you trade a bit of detail for a bit more body, slower decay and slightly rolled off at the very top which is preferable for my sensitive ears.

Nov 23, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #5,498 of 6,349
Anyone else feel they get varying levels of kinetic bass ‘feeling’ with their RN6. Some days I really feel it working and other days not. To add to this I mostly stick to black module and some days I’ll switch to red and it feels like I get more of that sensation but then I’ll give my ears a rest and listen again and it’s not there anymore in the same way.

Kind of drives me mad I can’t get consistent results. I guess this might be a silly question but does anyone have any tips on insertion or how it should sit in the ear. I basically ram the iems as far into my ear as I can so the kinetic bass drives makes as much contact with the ear as possible. Am I missing something?
Could also be the music. Bass information varies from track to track. But if you're hearing differences with the same music it could just be insertion depth, fit, mood, even brain burn in.
I don't think the FIR IEMs aren't super sensitive to cable changes, but at the same time Code doesn't sound like normal copper in that it's not slow or warm. It's very clear sounding, which tallies with the stock cable. I find tips make more difference with Xe6.

Nov 23, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #5,499 of 6,349
My recent comparison was with Uni Xe6 vs my CIEM, but here's what I wrote a couple weeks ago based on testing out both side-by-side for a few weeks. I suspect you'd experience similar with Rn6:

"I was also very interested to a/b the universal Xe6 vs my custom, and for this I did use the stock cable on both to take that variable out of the equation. Of course, these are probably 90% the same as each other, but that last 10% or so is pretty important I believe. With the custom you get much better isolation, a perfect fit, and the kind of long-term comfort that you can listen for hours on end with zero fatigue. Another lifestyle difference with the custom is that the ATOM modules are much easier to deal with. But the biggest difference I heard was that the CIEM is much more coherent than the universal. This is probably down to the difference in fit between them, and the perfect seal that you get with the custom. I had never thought coherence was an "issue" with the universal Xe6, but going back and forth it was more obvious which notes were being produced with the kinetic bass driver down low vs the BAs/estat up high on the universal; whereas with the CIEM the entire frequency response curve felt much more seamless and presented together as a complete whole."

I'll repeat what I've said elsewhere, if you're at all committed long-term to the sound-signature of one of the Frontiers, CIEM is a total no-brainer. You're adventure with tips, getting the uni sat just right in your ear canals is of course not at all a thing with the CIEM.
Amen to this brother. Me myself have a hard time tips rolling on my RN6 (and sound leakage) so I end up selling it for Fei Wan. I think I'll get XE6 someday but as a CIEM 😉
Does anyone know if a universal RN6 can be made into a custom? I know a couple other manufacturers have done this is in the past such as Unique Melody.

As for the stock cable I very much hear it as silver because it adds a fair bit more treble compared to something like Ares 2 which is much smoother and a bit rolled off but only in comparison. Call me crazy but I like all copper much more vs stock. Stock sounds more detailed but also sounds like it’s got a bit of a high pass filter lifting the whole upper region and to my ears sounds a bit scratchy when there’s a lot of high tempo snares and hi hats layered on top of each other. With copper you trade a bit of detail for a bit more body, slower decay and slightly rolled off at the very top which is preferable for my sensitive ears.
IIRC my dealer said there's no option to change Uni into CIEM on FiR. We have to sell the uni first and order the CIEM from zero. Please CMIIW

Nov 23, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #5,500 of 6,349

I will suggest to drop a mail to FirAudio and check if it can be done or not since RN6 is limited release. I had uni XE6 and got it converted to CIEM directly from FIR.

Nov 23, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #5,501 of 6,349
I will suggest to drop a mail to FirAudio and check if it can be done or not since RN6 is limited release. I had uni XE6 and got it converted to CIEM directly from FIR.
What happened to the gold shell with that conversion? Can I see a pic? Thanks!!

Nov 23, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #5,502 of 6,349
What happened to the gold shell with that conversion? Can I see a pic? Thanks!!
I think the best possible option for FiR is to create a new one from zero too if we happen to convert our Uni into CIEM. I can't imagine they dismantle the universal one and remove the driver inside to the CIEM shells. It's easier for them to sell the universal one as a B stock or preloved stuff than doing all that hassle IMO.

Nov 23, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #5,503 of 6,349

I have an uni Xe6 in acrylic and asked them is it possible to convert into steel Xe6.
They proposed to buy back my uni and sell me a brand new one.

I ordered uni acrylic in transparent black because I think gold Xe6 looks too "grandma".
Ofc a matter of personal taste but totally not my style. All other Frontiers look great...

After more than a year of use I feel the acrylic Xe6 is too light.
I preffer more heavy IEMs - Dorado2020 feels great to me.
So probably will do such swap one day or wait for the next gen to upgrade.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #5,504 of 6,349
I have an uni Xe6 in acrylic and asked them is it possible to convert into steel Xe6.
They proposed to buy back my uni and sell me a brand new one.

I ordered uni acrylic in transparent black because I think gold Xe6 looks too "grandma".
Ofc a matter of personal taste but totally not my style. All other Frontiers look great...

After more than a year of use I feel the acrylic Xe6 is too light.
I preffer more heavy IEMs - Dorado2020 feels great to me.
So probably will do such swap one day or wait for the next gen to upgrade.
Lol'ed at "too grandma" 😂
I don't know you can ask them to make a uni XE6 in acrylic shell 😮
That's very nice of them 👍

Nov 23, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #5,505 of 6,349
Lol'ed at "too grandma" 😂
I don't know you can ask them to make a uni XE6 in acrylic shell 😮
That's very nice of them 👍

I saw few acrylic universal Xe6. You can configure using their custom configurator at no additional charge.
But seriously - they are small and ultra light, so using them with a heavy duty cable like LL Venom sometimes is challenging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back