Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Nov 26, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #5,536 of 6,244
I’m having a hard time with the lack of mid bass and lower midrange warmth on the Rn6. Anyone have any cable recommendations that won’t break the bank? I find the bass not really all that textured. It does sub bass and upper bass but I hear a bit of hole somewhere in the middle. Any tips on fixing this? I find gold and silver module adds sub bass bloom but doesn’t add any more definition down low, just more of what’s already there. I think it’s a dealbreaker if I can’t fix this. People saying I should go XE6 but it goes too far the other way and imo not worth the extra money over the Rn6 which is clearly more detailed of the two.
Check out Eletech Raphael. FWIW Rn6 isn't a 'bass first' IEM for me. If it's pure bass I'm going for I'd sooner switch to Z1R, IE900 or Legend X. Rn6 is more about balance with a solid bass foundation. YMMV

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #5,537 of 6,244
I’m having a hard time with the lack of mid bass and lower midrange warmth on the Rn6. Anyone have any cable recommendations that won’t break the bank? I find the bass not really all that textured. It does sub bass and upper bass but I hear a bit of hole somewhere in the middle. Any tips on fixing this? I find gold and silver module adds sub bass bloom but doesn’t add any more definition down low, just more of what’s already there. I think it’s a dealbreaker if I can’t fix this. People saying I should go XE6 but it goes too far the other way and imo not worth the extra money over the Rn6 which is clearly more detailed of the two.
Let us know what cable you end up with that does not break the bank, interested.

@gLer, though bass first IEMS are always fun at first, I do find them to eventually be a bit too much, I had the Legend X and it totally wowed me but long term use made me feel it was a bit too colored for own tastes.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #5,538 of 6,244
Let us know what cable you end up with that does not break the bank, interested.

@gLer, though bass first IEMS are always fun at first, I do find them to eventually be a bit too much, I had the Legend X and it totally wowed me but long term use made me feel it was a bit too colored for own tastes.
I think you need to mix them up. I pair LX with a Cardas Clear/1950s clone and it become s far more 'balanced' IEM (with huge bass when called for). Likewise I don't consider the likes of IE900 and Z1R 'basshead' IEMs, rather they're exceptional IEMs with exceptional bass. Xe6 can also be tamed with the right module but will always be bass-dominant. All that said I can listen to bass-first IEMs all day and never get tired of them, which is why YMMV.

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #5,539 of 6,244
I think you need to mix them up. I pair LX with a Cardas Clear/1950s clone and it become s far more 'balanced' IEM (with huge bass when called for). Likewise I don't consider the likes of IE900 and Z1R 'basshead' IEMs, rather they're exceptional IEMs with exceptional bass. Xe6 can also be tamed with the right module but will always be bass-dominant. All that said I can listen to bass-first IEMs all day and never get tired of them, which is why YMMV.
Fair, the 1950s was the cable I always had. I bought that cable x4 times due to jumping in and out of the portable arena. Reason being in and out was due to sometimes being frustrated with how no matter how much attempts made, the scale of IEMS will always have its limits, but when taking a step back and just accepting it for what it is, IEMS are truly amazing for such small items, and of course the portability/value of them vs speakers are quite incredible.

1. regular version, sold (new)
2. rebought regular version after missing it (used)
3. shielding version, sold (used)
4. rebought shielding version after missing it (new)

Truly one of the most versatile cables out there that is priced somewhat reasonably.

The 1950s with Black Module RN6 was the sweet spot for me personally.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #5,540 of 6,244
Hi Guy. May a man ask if the Cardas Clear/1950's clone really sound identical to the original 1950's?

Nov 26, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #5,541 of 6,244
Hi Guy. May a man ask if the Cardas Clear/1950's clone really sound identical to the original 1950's?
Yes it does, although slight differences to hardware/solder might impact this (mine uses genuine Cardas solder).

Nov 26, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #5,542 of 6,244
What is your source? I honestly think that changing the source would likely give you a more impactful change rather than swapping cables (assuming that you don't want to go down the route of EQ'ing). Shanling AKM devices will likely give you a 'fuller' bass, as that is my personal experience. H5, H7, M9+ and the new Onyx Mystic XP1 all bring a bigger bass presentation to the chain.

Nov 26, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #5,543 of 6,244
Kr5 🎺🎺

Nov 26, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #5,545 of 6,244
Is it possible to break the atom modules? I purchased a few months ago a second hand RN6 with the black atoms in. I wanted to switch, but can't get them out. I also cant' get the red ones out of the holder, and had a very hard time getting the silver out.
What specifically is the problem on getting them out? I had this issue with a module whose screw head has stripped so that the tool couldn't grab and pull.

Nov 26, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #5,547 of 6,244
Is it possible to break the atom modules? I purchased a few months ago a second hand RN6 with the black atoms in. I wanted to switch, but can't get them out. I also cant' get the red ones out of the holder, and had a very hard time getting the silver out.
This is how to remove it :

Or you have any other difficulties?

Nov 26, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #5,549 of 6,244
There’s no screw thread in the iem hole, you’ll need to grab the atom module by its head using the tool provided and extract it.
The key thing is to try to use a light angle and some light pressure once the tool is inside atom module’s head to get some grip and pull it out.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #5,550 of 6,244
It doesn’t work. The tool is just turning without screwing the module

I keep a set of nylon tipped and precision set of tweezers for situations like this.

IMG_0503.jpeg
IMG_0504.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back