Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jun 24, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #4,621 of 6,445
Thanks. This i what i was thinking its going to be like. Staging and imaging is just silly on these.
I threw them on Hugo2 yesterday and it was just laser show. It went way out of my head. The sensation is similar to open back HPs.

And i am only on stock silver modules. Cant wait to get my black ones back and try them on.

If i had to pick up any negatives so far, it would only be that they will obviously have less isolation. Though i think if you go on gold its going to be close to usuall vented DDs.
Also firing it louder will leak sound out.
But this is all rather given for this kind of design and i honestly thought it will be much worse. I still commute with them haha.

Something i would have preferred tuning wise also, would be a bit more presence in 2-3k region. Listening to some orchestral or classical does push some instruments back and they are less pronounced than i would like.
But other than that its really one of best things i have heard to date.
You think the 2-3k range pushes some instruments forward in relation to vocals? Are you sure? I actually like most if not all instruments to be in the background in relation to voices, do you know any iem or headphone options like that?

Jun 25, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #4,622 of 6,445
Some of the more eagle-eyed (and constant Classifieds watchers) will have noticed my A18s up for sale.

At an expected loss, though much sooner than anticipated.

Blame can squarely be place on the Rn6. Few reasons:

1. No more BA bass.
I've always been squarely in the camp that BA is more than sufficient and the missing texture and tactility was "not much". For the first time the Rn6 has made me unable to sit there listen to that and think "this is acceptable"

2. Not that much dark.
The idea of a warmer darker A12t intrigued me, and a lot of reviews and graph interpretations later, I paid in full mrsp (Don't judge me pls). I was so impressed by the technicality and overall easier long session listening that I sold my A12t. I did a bit of cable rolling to squeeze the most technicality I could out of it, as I did with the A12t and went this is good.....Only to have it be unceremoniously ousted by the Rn6. After a lot of back and forth I found even there was a limit to dark for me.

Spending some time with the M4 to decide, but it does complement the Rn6 rather well.

Really the end of an era for me. I started out the hobby with 64, and now it's been superseded by FiR.

All hail the king in black

*Edited for non FiR related*

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #4,623 of 6,445
Some of the more eagle-eyed (and constant Classifieds watchers) will have noticed my A18s up for sale.

At an expected loss, though much sooner than anticipated.

Blame can squarely be place on the Rn6. Few reasons:

1. No more BA bass.
I've always been squarely in the camp that BA is more than sufficient and the missing texture and tactility was "not much". For the first time the Rn6 has made me unable to sit there listen to that and think "this is acceptable"

2. Not that much dark.
The idea of a warmer darker A12t intrigued me, and a lot of reviews and graph interpretations later, I paid in full mrsp (Don't judge me pls). I was so impressed by the technicality and overall easier long session listening that I sold my A12t. I did a bit of cable rolling to squeeze the most technicality I could out of it, as I did with the A12t and went this is good.....Only to have it be unceremoniously ousted by the Rn6. After a lot of back and forth I found even there was a limit to dark for me.

Spending some time with the M4 to decide, but it does complement the Rn6 rather well.

Really the end of an era for me. I started out the hobby with 64, and now it's been superseded by FiR.

All hail the king in black

*Edited for non FiR related*
Welcome to the light my friend 🤗 BA bass be gone forever!

Jun 25, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #4,625 of 6,445
Maybe someone here can help me out.

Is there any comfort advantages going the matte shell over glossy acrylic?
My FiRs were my first matte ones, and they feel more "neutral" to my ears - ordinary glossy ones feel, um, like having my ears plugged? They are also grippier in case your ears get naturally sweaty.

Jun 25, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #4,627 of 6,445
I agree, they extend the length of the IEM eartip and increase the distance between the Kinetic Bass and your ear. Also don't fit over the actual IEM eartip unless you're using something like a TWS. The fitting isn't wonky and not secure. Personally the price is silly for very ill designed eartipss.

1682172971460.jpeg
Eartips is all about synergy between our preference and the shape of ear canal. For me there is no "good sound or "bad sound" eartips. With my playlist, Coreir works really nicely with VE Phonix, more than any other pricey eartips.

Did you compared DD tips vs W1?
W1 is a little bit leaner in body, more pronounce air on top and wider stage.

Jun 25, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #4,628 of 6,445
Jun 25, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #4,629 of 6,445
So casual listening. Typically hotter climate. Go matte?
I've got a pair of matte and glossy and you only really notice the difference right as you put them in or take them out. Glossy is smoother to put in and matte is easier to take out since its less "sticky". But, once they warm up to body temp while you wear them, I think they're about the same.

Jun 25, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #4,630 of 6,445
Eartips is all about synergy between our preference and the shape of ear canal. For me there is no "good sound or "bad sound" eartips. With my playlist, Coreir works really nicely with VE Phonix, more than any other pricey eartips.

I wholeheartedly agree and was not debating on the synergy or sound of the Coreir eartips in my post.

I was visually demonstrating that Coreir eartips:

- Does not provide a precise fit you're used to like silicone only eartips
- Extends the overall insert depth
- Increases the distance between the Kinetic Bass and your ear

With that, Head-Fi members can make an informed decision on their purchase.

If it works for you and other Head-Fi'ers, enjoy! :k701smile:

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #4,631 of 6,445
My local dealer told me that every re stock / new order of Fir uiem using atom XS modules will come with new anodized ones, so thumbs up to Fir if that’s confirmed 👍

It seems it‘s the case with my brand new Rn6 as the paint of the modules doesn’t exactly looks like the one on the used Rn6 that I was lent for some time (in fact the paint was nearly gone).
Is there an easy way to differentiate anodized vs OG (without trying to scratch them 😅) ?

IMG_1434.jpeg
IMG_1433.jpeg

By the way, the Rn6 / Hiby RS8 combo is really great :L3000:

IMG_1437.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #4,632 of 6,445
My local dealer told me that every re stock / new order of Fir uiem using atom XS modules will come with new anodized ones, so thumbs up to Fir if that’s confirmed 👍

That's great to hear! 🥳

It seems it‘s the case with my brand new Rn6 as the paint of the modules doesn’t exactly looks like the one on the used Rn6 that I was lent for some time (in fact the paint was nearly gone).
Is there an easy way to differentiate anodized vs OG (without trying to scratch them 😅) ?

IMG_1433.jpeg

You can sometimes identify them by filled grooves and or paint residue when removing the module from RN6, particularly the red. The black painted modules have a bit of that paint shine to them versus anodized matte textured look. Also I noticed that my RN6 module red and gold paint were more heavily applied leading to chip and residue issues.

Surprisingly my XE6's, purchased around a year ago, the painted modules have held up well with minor chip where the module tool is inserted – luckily no paint residue. Note, I've swapped less and preferring silver with XE6.

Below are my RN6 OG modules after first week of swapping – the reds and golds had taken quite a beating:

IMG_1969.JPG

Jun 25, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #4,633 of 6,445
That's great to hear! 🥳

You can sometimes identify them by filled grooves and or paint residue when removing the module from RN6, particularly the red. The black painted modules have a bit of that paint shine to them versus anodized matte textured look. Also I noticed that my RN6 module red and gold paint were more heavily applied leading to chip and residue issues.

Surprisingly my XE6's, purchased around a year ago, the painted modules have held up well with minor chip where the module tool is inserted – luckily no paint residue. Note, I've swapped less and preferring silver with XE6.

Below are my RN6 OG modules after first week of swapping – the reds and golds had taken quite a beating:

With mine modules I no longer know which are silver or gold

Gold went fully silver after just 2 swaps.

:frowning2:

Jun 26, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #4,635 of 6,445

IMG_1434.jpegIMG_1433.jpeg

By the way, the Rn6 / Hiby RS8 combo is really great :L3000:

IMG_1437.jpeg
Hi KelFab,

could you tell me where did you buy your RN6 from?

MusicTeck doesn't have them, and I'd rather buy them from a dealer in the EU to avoid import problems.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back