Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
May 1, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #4,456 of 6,244
As @gLer replied, the Frontier lineup – Ne4, Kr5, and Xe6 – comes standard with black, silver, gold modules and red is an optional purchase and the Frontier LE Rn6 included all 4 during its introduction/pre-order/CanJam:
https://www.firaudio.com/store/atom-xl-4pk

Silver is the default IEM tuning for Ne4, Kr5, and Xe6 and Red is "default" for Rn6 (?)

(Less isolation + bass perception) Red > Black > Silver > Gold (More isolation + bass perception)

Here's the specs for all 4 modules:

Specifications
  • Isolation: + (Yellow): 17dB
  • Isolation: N (Silver): 15dB
  • Isolation: - (Black): 13dB
  • Isolation: O (Red): 10dB
  • Bass Perception: + (Yellow): +2dB @ 20Hz
  • Bass Perception: N (Silver): as per IEM default tuning
  • Bass Perception: - (Black): -2dB @ 20Hz
  • Bass Perception: O (Red): -4dB @ 20Hz

Alright, this is the final update, straight from the horse's mouth :D I just verified with Bogdan, and indeed, they decided now to include red module with RN6 permanently.

May 1, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #4,457 of 6,244
Alright, this is the final update, straight from the horse's mouth :D I just verified with Bogdan, and indeed, they decided now to include red module with RN6 permanently.

I figured that might ended up being the case, especially from managing inventory and packaging stand point for 300 limited edition units.

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #4,458 of 6,244
Considering this as my main use IEM, I listen to (predominantly) hip-hop and bass driven music when out and about with a DAP. I figure the XE6 would suit this 'fun' sort of music very well. Any thoughts on this or suitable alternates other than the Z1R and Evo, both of which I have owned several times before and I feel like a new flavour. I have the Noir but it does not make me feel bass-happy enough.

I enjoy electronica, hip-hop, soul and other bass driven music on both XE6 (most fun and intimate) and RN6 (more balanced and fun). And then I'm a savage for listening all genres with XE6 (silver) including classical, instrumental, operas and jazz 🤭 and I'll switch to RN6 for a colored balanced (gold) / critical listening (red).

XE6 doesn't have EVO's W9+ sub bass impact but it has better treble extension than EVO which was my issue with EVO – hearing that Raven will fix that bring in the best qualities of their line up for a more balanced sig (?) Despite not having EE's W9+ sub bass impact, I'm enjoying FiR's Kinetic Bass, textural subwoofer-like bass and sub vibrations and sound.

May 1, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #4,459 of 6,244
Thank you most helpful. I recall the first time I heard the EE LX, it was like being in a nightclub and I found it to be very addictive. That was 3+ years ago and my memories of the LX have faded, I did consider that as a cheaper option but mainly based on how it made me feel back then, and having heard so many IEMs since I wonder if it will now feel like trash to me. It does still feel like I should go for the XE6, is it generally considered to have a comfortable fit? The housing of the EVO was always a little on the large side for me. One more question, I notice you have the Indigo, any brief thoughts on that (another option I have!) for bass driven music compared to the XE6?

May 1, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #4,460 of 6,244
It does still feel like I should go for the XE6, is it generally considered to have a comfortable fit? The housing of the EVO was always a little on the large side for me.

It's a surprisingly small IEM and very comfortable fit compared my experience of Z1R and smaller than EVO – another bonus is no driver flex. Caveats of XE6 is its stainless steel case and finish:
  • It's on the heavy side and while I'm able to get deep insert with my go to JVC SpiralDots++ they may loosen especially laying down, LOL – Azla Crystals fixes that issue with their tacky finished tips
  • They are fingerprint magnets and will pick up micro scratches over time. If you're OCD with keeping your IEMs in pristine condition, XE6s will challenge you. For maintenance, I use a slightly damp microfiber cloth to wipe down. As far as micro scratches, I call it "patina" haha. TBH, I handle my IEMs with care and having owned XE6 for about many months, micro scratches are limited, minor and not noticeable. I do have a light errant micro scratch due to a module swap – fumble my hex key while inserting
FiR Ne4, Kr5, and Rn6 with their aluminum shells are identical to Xe6's in size and shape (with smaller Kinetic Bass port opening) but lighter weight.

One more question, I notice you have the Indigo, any brief thoughts on that (another option I have!) for bass driven music compared to the XE6?

I would be very challenged trying comparing Indigo to XE6, they're just not comparable, and would consider RN6 a better comparison. Indigo's BCD is limited to predefined freq (500Hz to 20kHz) and while is adequate, it's not as satisfying as XE6, RN6, EVO or Z1R. I think of Indigo as more "balanced" W compared to MEST MK2 "U" with better soundstage and less piercing treble. Since RN6's arrival, Indigo/Mk2 has been put into cold storage.

May 1, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #4,461 of 6,244
Thanks again, your posts have certainly helped me make up my mind about purchasing the XE6. They would be my daily-use IEMs, and so although I would be careful with them as always I wont obsess about micro-scratches if they appear. Once I acquire a set, I will come back and post my thoughts.

May 1, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #4,462 of 6,244
Thanks again, your posts have certainly helped me make up my mind about purchasing the XE6. They would be my daily-use IEMs, and so although I would be careful with them as always I wont obsess about micro-scratches if they appear. Once I acquire a set, I will come back and post my thoughts.

My pleasure and looking forward to your future impressions!

May 1, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #4,464 of 6,244
Considering this as my main use IEM, I listen to (predominantly) hip-hop and bass driven music when out and about with a DAP. I figure the XE6 would suit this 'fun' sort of music very well. Any thoughts on this or suitable alternates other than the Z1R and Evo, both of which I have owned several times before and I feel like a new flavour. I have the Noir but it does not make me feel bass-happy enough.
There may be alternates to Xe6 for a fun bassy set, but I'm not sure any of them would be more engaging or musical. I had it for a 3-week demo last year at the same time I owned Z1R, and my takeaway is that they are both great for bassheads, they just let you experience your bass with a different flavour. Z1R is still nearly unmatched for sub-bass, whereas Xe6 midbass and lower mids are completely intoxicating.

I enjoy electronica, hip-hop, soul and other bass driven music on both XE6 (most fun and intimate) and RN6 (more balanced and fun). And then I'm a savage for listening all genres with XE6 (silver) including classical, instrumental, operas and jazz 🤭 and I'll switch to RN6 for a colored balanced (gold) / critical listening (red).
As amazing (perfect?) as Xe6 is with warmer/darker EDM, Hip-Hop, Indie & Alternative, it was when I switched to lighter and acoustic styles that really sold me on that IEM. It's midbass creates this enchanting glow around female/acoustic artists' music that again I find really addictive, without being overwhelming and drowning out detail.

It's a surprisingly small IEM and very comfortable fit compared my experience of Z1R and smaller than EVO – another bonus is no driver flex. Caveats of XE6 is its stainless steel case and finish:
  • It's on the heavy side and while I'm able to get deep insert with my go to JVC SpiralDots++ they may loosen especially laying down, LOL – Azla Crystals fixes that issue with their tacky finished tips
  • They are fingerprint magnets and will pick up micro scratches over time. If you're OCD with keeping your IEMs in pristine condition, XE6s will challenge you. For maintenance, I use a slightly damp microfiber cloth to wipe down. As far as micro scratches, I call it "patina" haha. TBH, I handle my IEMs with care and having owned XE6 for about many months, micro scratches are limited, minor and not noticeable. I do have a light errant micro scratch due to a module swap – fumble my hex key while inserting
Get CIEM and those issues go away. :blush: I've heard complaints about the weight of the Xe6 UIEM, but I never noticed that, probably because I was comparing to Z1R at the time so it seemed lightweight to me and perfectly comfortable.

May 3, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #4,465 of 6,244
Week 3.5 of waiting for my Rn6 ciem. Showing as finished last Thursday but hasn't ship yet 😔

May 3, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #4,466 of 6,244
The matching of Liquid Links Venom and XE6 is indeed amazing, almost feel like it is custom made for XE6.
Yes. It is a thicker cable which is not necessarily desirable for portability, but it gives a greater insight and performs with greater clarity.
Since I use indoors and not out, it doesn't matter for me.

As amazing (perfect?) as Xe6 is with warmer/darker EDM, Hip-Hop, Indie & Alternative, it was when I switched to lighter and acoustic styles that really sold me on that IEM. It's midbass creates this enchanting glow around female/acoustic artists' music that again I find really addictive, without being overwhelming and drowning out detail

I have been noticing this as well. I especially finding the mids involving and excellent when not a bassy track.

May 3, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #4,467 of 6,244
Radon 6 has arrived. It’s a looker for sure :) and probably will only hear what kinetic bass does after a decent number of hours playtime. Working on that with ipod touch.

Attachments

• IMG_1001.jpeg
    IMG_1001.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
May 3, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #4,468 of 6,244
May 3, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #4,469 of 6,244
Two weeks in for mine!
It's a month now since I dropped off my impressions, but add in the int'l shipping that's to be expected...

But really it's more like this...

May 3, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #4,470 of 6,244
Two weeks in for mine!
My guess is that they're waiting on the cable. So fingers crossed that is done for the time yours are ready.

Excited so see what design you picked, as your customs are always literal and metaphorical works of art.

I just went for smokey translucent + Sibera faceplates + Rn6 logo. Directly tramsfered from my planned M5 design.
It's a month now since I dropped off my impressions, but add in the int'l shipping that's to be expected...
Getting impressions and getting them there is such a long wait time, I'm so glad that FiR went and got my scans for me, Just ordereing and knowing I avoided a few weeks of additional overhead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back