Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Nov 20, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #3,301 of 6,244
Thanks for the informative reply.
Ofcourse, I did not mean change of sound, but improvment of sound qaulity (i.e. tuning).

The cost of these is too high. Still looking for something cheaper with similar contribution.

Thanks again.
It is generally accepted that up to 1/3 of the cost of headphones can be spent on a cable. Of course, this is an unwritten rule. However, based on the cost of the Xe6, Symbiote is a good investment.
However, if you're looking for something similar but cheaper, I'd recommend looking at Norne Audio's silver cables. For example, Silvergarde. I used it and sold it only through DHC.

Nov 23, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #3,302 of 6,244
Hi guys, does anyone have real life images of their Coral faceplate? Is it made of abalone shards?

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #3,303 of 6,244
I’m considering buying a KR5 since I heard it at SoCal and it sounded spectacular. Anyway, I forgot to take a good look at the cable and wondered what other Frontier series owners think of its quality in build and its performance. ✌️

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #3,304 of 6,244
I’m considering buying a KR5 since I heard it at SoCal and it sounded spectacular. Anyway, I forgot to take a good look at the cable and wondered what other Frontier series owners think of its quality in build and its performance. ✌️

I personally love the stock FiR cables. I still use them in my NE4 and XE6 and also kept it on my KR5 when I had it.

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #3,305 of 6,244
I personally love the stock FiR cables. I still use them in my NE4 and XE6 and also kept it on my KR5 when I had it.

OK, good to know. 👍

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #3,306 of 6,244
+1 for stock cable here also. Sound and ergonomics are top notch. I've rolled quite a few "upgrade" cables and ended up liking the stock the best.

Nov 23, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #3,307 of 6,244
Yep, stock cable for me now too - much prefer versus Eros S which I've been using until recently.

I love KR5 so much, that I'd seriously consider adding NE4 or maybe even XE6 to the collection. The KR5 fit/comfort is the best I've had in any IEM!

Nov 23, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #3,308 of 6,244
Yep, stock cable for me now too - much prefer versus Eros S which I've been using until recently.

I love KR5 so much, that I'd seriously consider adding NE4 or maybe even XE6 to the collection. The KR5 fit/comfort is the best I've had in any IEM!

You should go CIEM if you enjoy the sound that much. The frontier series are quite enjoyable as custom :)

Nov 23, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #3,310 of 6,244

Same here. I played around with some upgrade cables, and since I’ve gone back to the stock table for the Kr5.

Nov 23, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #3,311 of 6,244
You should go CIEM if you enjoy the sound that much. The frontier series are quite enjoyable as custom :)

Reasons why XE6 custom is my dream right now!

Nov 23, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #3,312 of 6,244

You should consider that the Xe6 is not a development of the Kr5 in the classic form, they have a much more tasteful sounf tune. More warm, muddy, relax and much more bass.

As for the cables, I don't really think highly of the Eros. After all, IEMs of this lvl require a good cable. I liked the combo with the fairly inexpensive PW Saladin+ and DD Air Nyx.

Nov 24, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #3,314 of 6,244
This sounds like my kind of flavor. How exactly does the kinetic bass work? I picture a DD touching the inside of my ear causing the bone conduction.
That’s pretty much it. From FiR website:

A bass you not only hear, but can also feel.​

Kinetic Bass technology features a 10mm dynamic driver that is open and ported in an optimized manner directly facing the outside of the IEM shell. This allows low frequency sound to be transmitted directly to the ear cartilage and surrounding area. These low frequencies are converted to kinetic energy and reach the inner ear via bone conduction. This results in a more immersive sound with a bass you can feel with increased dimension and an off-the-charts low frequency extension.

It works exceptionally well on all 3 of the Frontier IEMs, but the port on the Xe6 is larger which gives an even grander scale to how you feel the bass.

Nov 24, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #3,315 of 6,244
That’s pretty much it. From FiR website:

A bass you not only hear, but can also feel.​

Kinetic Bass technology features a 10mm dynamic driver that is open and ported in an optimized manner directly facing the outside of the IEM shell. This allows low frequency sound to be transmitted directly to the ear cartilage and surrounding area. These low frequencies are converted to kinetic energy and reach the inner ear via bone conduction. This results in a more immersive sound with a bass you can feel with increased dimension and an off-the-charts low frequency extension.

It works exceptionally well on all 3 of the Frontier IEMs, but the port on the Xe6 is larger which gives an even grander scale to how you feel the bass.
I personally felt the kinetic bass on the Ne4 and Kr5 than the Xe6. The sheer quantity on the Xe6 takes away some of the texture for me, but that's probably just a brain thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back