Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Dec 15, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #317 of 6,244
I am also in the tour, will compare m4 m5 vs trio with wm1z.
My little voice telling me m4 will be my pick.
Cause I favor fun and musical signature. I am a no treble maniac

m5 is extremely fun and musical.

With electronic and pop music, the m5 is very very good, probably the best I’ve heard. It’s a very safe tuning to me, I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t like it with bouncy genres of music.

I can’t imagine why the m4 would be better than the m5. It’s not like the m5 is analytical at all...it’s just really fun. I would guess its tuning is similar to the m4, but more technically proficient.

with the A18t and a12t, I actually can see some people saying that the 18 trades fun for analytical and surgical precision, and preferring the 12.

But, the amount of fun I hear in the m5...if you think the m4 sounds fun and love it for that reason, it’s hard for me to imagine why you would not like the m5 more.

Of course, let your own ears be the judge...

Dec 16, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #318 of 6,244
m5 is extremely fun and musical.

With electronic and pop music, the m5 is very very good, probably the best I’ve heard. It’s a very safe tuning to me, I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t like it with bouncy genres of music.

I can’t imagine why the m4 would be better than the m5. It’s not like the m5 is analytical at all...it’s just really fun. I would guess its tuning is similar to the m4, but more technically proficient.

with the A18t and a12t, I actually can see some people saying that the 18 trades fun for analytical and surgical precision, and preferring the 12.

But, the amount of fun I hear in the m5...if you think the m4 sounds fun and love it for that reason, it’s hard for me to imagine why you would not like the m5 more.

Of course, let your own ears be the judge...

I understand what you mean, m5 is like m5 buy with a better twist kinda off?
That electrostat adds another layer of treble extension with more crisp.
As long it dont pierce my ears then k.

Bass is extremely important for me. It has to be rumble visceral and fast, when needed bouncy and deeeep deep in a matter where I feel like I am elevated by bass and sonic vibrations lift me up in the air lol.

I will of course give a careful listen to bothe and pick one up. Also I have the trio witch bass is also very amazing and do offer this type of overwhelming bass vibrations when present. It feels like you watch a thx movie in a theater hehe, that big bass yes )

You also said m5 was v shaped that worried me a little...
Hence some reviewers said ier-z1r was v shaped and I was like uummm no I dont think so lol

Dec 16, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #319 of 6,244
when i was speaking with @aaf evo (who also owns the a18t,) he told me how he felt the m5 sounded like they had so much more energy than the a18t, but listening to the music i normally listen to, i didn't hear it.

i asked him what music he was listening to and he sent me two edm songs and i could hear exactly what he was talking about, and immediately understood how he could interpret the m5's signature as more exciting for those two songs.

it's interesting how many factors there are in determining what sounds best to you. we often forget or neglect to discuss all of these factors, and instead just say what we hear is the best. i was actually really curious to understand what @aaf evo was hearing, and why he was interpreting it the way he did. as soon as i asked him the music he was listening to, and listened for myself, it all made sense.

i've been abc'ing the a18/elysium/m5 with the mojo and they all sounds great. depending on the song, i think you could say each one has its moments.

i still feel that the a18 is the best all-rounder i've heard, but i really like the elysium and m5. these are the first two iems i've heard that make me want to add something new to complement the a18.

Dec 16, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #320 of 6,244
I understand what you mean, m5 is like m5 buy with a better twist kinda off?
That electrostat adds another layer of treble extension with more crisp.
As long it dont pierce my ears then k.

Bass is extremely important for me. It has to be rumble visceral and fast, when needed bouncy and deeeep deep in a matter where I feel like I am elevated by bass and sonic vibrations lift me up in the air lol.

I will of course give a careful listen to bothe and pick one up. Also I have the trio witch bass is also very amazing and do offer this type of overwhelming bass vibrations when present. It feels like you watch a thx movie in a theater hehe, that big bass yes )

You also said m5 was v shaped that worried me a little...
Hence some reviewers said ier-z1r was v shaped and I was like uummm no I dont think so lol

i've heard the trio...i think the m5 has more bounce to it, for whatever it's worth...just really really fun and energetic sound.

the ergonomics of the z1r remove almost all desire i could possibly have to hear it (alright, i still do kind of want to give it a listen when i have a chance to swing by the nyc sony store...)

As it is, I can hardly tolerate universal iems that i think are well-designed ergonomically...

Dec 16, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #321 of 6,244
OK, finally, after much help from the good people at Head-fi tech support, my thoughts about the M3 are posted in Head Gear.

You did a very comprehensive big review I have read it and hence you had so much detailes and little notions you have inputed inthe review , really good work friend.

I understood that you really like the m3 and it was definitely on a checkmark with bass abilities for you.
I dont know if trio is better or not I be able to let you know when I my listenings.

My side I do listen to edm, acoustical music, ambient relaxations ( those includes like real instruments and a mix off electronic mixs ) occasionally I like solos and guitars, rarely classical music.

And yeah I do love bass, I can take more bass damages and recover from it rather being cut in pieces from a piercy treble lol.

Dec 16, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #322 of 6,244
when i was speaking with @aaf evo (who also owns the a18t,) he told me how he felt the m5 sounded like they had so much more energy than the a18t, but listening to the music i normally listen to, i didn't hear it.

i asked him what music he was listening to and he sent me two edm songs and i could hear exactly what he was talking about, and immediately understood how he could interpret the m5's signature as more exciting for those two songs.

it's interesting how many factors there are in determining what sounds best to you. we often forget or neglect to discuss all of these factors, and instead just say what we hear is the best. i was actually really curious to understand what @aaf evo was hearing, and why he was interpreting it the way he did. as soon as i asked him the music he was listening to, and listened for myself, it all made sense.

i've been abc'ing the a18/elysium/m5 with the mojo and they all sounds great. depending on the song, i think you could say each one has its moments.

i still feel that the a18 is the best all-rounder i've heard, but i really like the elysium and m5. these are the first two iems i've heard that make me want to add something new to complement the a18.

When I had a/b tia forte and u18. For me it was not even a questionable moment of seconds . I picked forte right away. DD bass and amazing feel of edm music.
I dont like u18.

Dec 16, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #323 of 6,244
i've heard the trio...i think the m5 has more bounce to it, for whatever it's worth...just really really fun and energetic sound.

the ergonomics of the z1r remove almost all desire i could possibly have to hear it (alright, i still do kind of want to give it a listen when i have a chance to swing by the nyc sony store...)

As it is, I can hardly tolerate universal iems that i think are well-designed ergonomically...

Z1r is now harch sounding in treble after trio lol and that fit I been struggling for all the time owned it. Nutsss

Dec 16, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #324 of 6,244
yup...totally understandable.

i think the a18t sounds much better than the universal, and it is actually pretty incredible for electronic music. but, because the a18 is so ridiculous technically, doesn't have a dd, and has completely insane treble, it's possible to interpret it as too analytical.

the m5 sounds stellar for edm...you will absolutely love it (edit: i think).

in fact, in my review of the u18t on headfi, the 2 reasons i gave for people who might not like it were:

- desire for dd bass
- sensitivity to treble

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #325 of 6,244
yup...totally understandable.

i think the a18t sounds much better than the universal, and it is actually pretty incredible for electronic music. but, because the a18 is so ridiculous technically, it's possible to interpret it as too analytical.

the m5 sounds stellar for edm...you will absolutely love it.

in fact, in my review of the u18t on headfi, the 2 reasons i gave for people who might not like it were:

- desire for dd bass
- sensitivity to treble

Interesting, maybe m5 is the perfect tia forte tuning. The way forte should have been tuned?

I admit I loved forte but that treble, ouche and ouche. It always pierced my ears with edm music. Cause in edm it always being boosted slightly of course some less some more. But I got rid of forte cause of treble.

When I played like music with signers voices and they signed in a solo or with some instruments around forte was amazing in that segment. Like really life like and so extended to far far away.

Dec 16, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #326 of 6,244
@aaf evo told me he thinks the m5 sounds like a properly tuned fourte.

i don't agree 100%...but i do maybe around 60%.

treble on fourte is brutal to my ears, but such a detailed and interesting tuning...

Dec 16, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #327 of 6,244
@aaf evo told me he thinks the m5 sounds like a properly tuned fourte.

i don't agree 100%...but i do maybe around 60%.

treble on fourte is brutal to my ears, but such a detailed and interesting tuning...

So forte vs m5 treble wise? By how much % is m5 less treble killer

Dec 16, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #328 of 6,244
much much less harsh...

exactly 28.5% less.

Dec 16, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #329 of 6,244
much much less harsh...

exactly 28.5% less.

Holy moly, this to me sounds like a trio level of treble. With trio I can blast and venture into levels I would naver touche with forte.
I can set trio so loud and feel that bass just rumble the roof off and no pain with treble. Forte is a suicide if you do that

Dec 16, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #330 of 6,244
dude, i am nearly certain you will love the presentation on the m5.

just listen to it and let us know what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back