Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Dec 12, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #286 of 6,220
We are opposites :frowning2:) I prefer more bass but cant stand when to much treble. I do to start to realize I love the mid centric way more than the U shaped buuuuurrg :) Forte was to u shapped to my taste.... z1r was mini U shaped, Trio and phantom feels mid forward.

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #287 of 6,220
We are opposites :frowning2:) I prefer more bass but cant stand when to much treble. I do to start to realize I love the mid centric way more than the U shaped buuuuurrg :) Forte was to u shapped to my taste.... z1r was mini U shaped, Trio and phantom feels mid forward.

Z1R is a straight up V if you ask me, the Fourte is a bit more of a W imo

I’m with you there though, I hate recessed mids

Dec 12, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #288 of 6,220
LID has become a bit of dealbreaker for me, same goes for FIBAE and so on :)

My preference is towards extremely mid-centric IEMs, with tons of treble and very flat bass, so I'm not sure just how much help I can be in all honesty... My sort of reference for warm IEMs are the VE8, the Trio/Fourte and the Legend X. The FiR M5 has quite a bit of bass, but also loads of mids and treble, so I wouldn't necessarily call it warm - intense rather

"Intense", exactly how I felt about the M3 I had last week on tour. I hope to post my review tonight. Had some cut-and-paste trouble last night.

Good discussions about the 64Audio Trio/ Fourte and the FiR M3/ M4/ M5. I am hopeful the M3 competes well with the Trio. I was able to do a brief comparison between the M3 and the U12t, but not the Trio. I am now anxiously waiting for my turn with the M4.

I will say, the M3 cured me of the urge to listen to the Legend X. The M3 bass was sufficient for me.

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #289 of 6,220
I Have read your review, very nicely done. You seem to really love the m5 and the fact that its so good and versatile is exactly what I am after. My philosophy is keep 1 iem that is the best of them all. Cause I travel alot for work and there is no way I am going to carry around 5 iems and 10 sets of cables haha. I once owned tia forte the original and it was not my thing the treble made me sell them cause I just couldnt take no more. I did listen to edm music with it oh that bass was something.
I am a treble sensitive person so its important it stay acceptable. Tia trio treble to my ears is the perfection of treble tuning to my liking, it can zing and sparkle but never hurt...

I am a little concerned about the frequencies range of m5, it shows 10hz to 20 000 hz, but tia trio or forte can 5hz and 22 000hz. My concern is does m5 grab as low into the sub bass as the forte ? With that DD?
I read you mention m5 is superbly tuned for quality bass, that also something I give big credit for, but really want the sub bass rumble to :)

How do you find m5 size wise vs forte? Is it bigger shell, does feel as comfortable as 64a?

I believe the positioning of the bass driver is inverted and as such will give you a more tactile feel / sound ....rumble

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #290 of 6,220
If you baught it with the modules to swap between + N - maybe you could of tamed that bass?

I would think this should be the first step in the "tuning" as it has a measurable change in the sound.

Dec 12, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #291 of 6,220
I wonder how the sound work threw all this wires and drivers hehe this housing seems so busy and yet all the sound travel around all the way out to the bore exit ? :)
@John2e

123.jpg

Dec 12, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #292 of 6,220
I wonder how the sound work threw all this wires and drivers hehe this housing seems so busy and yet all the sound travel around all the way out to the bore exit ? :)
@John2e

Hey

You were only supposed to listen to these

Not chop them in half

:)

Dec 12, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #293 of 6,220
Hey

You were only supposed to listen to these

Not chop them in half

:)

HAHA,

Ooops I will glue them together no one will know :ksc75smile:

Dec 13, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #295 of 6,220
M3's will be available for tour duty next week. I do not have anyone lined up for it yet...

You can send them back to me... :)

Dec 13, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #296 of 6,220
M3's will be available for tour duty next week. I do not have anyone lined up for it yet...

You can send them back to me...

Dec 13, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #297 of 6,220
OK, finally, after much help from the good people at Head-fi tech support, my thoughts about the M3 are posted in Head Gear.

Dec 13, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #298 of 6,220
totl trio.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #299 of 6,220
really liking the fir m5...while i find some similarities between the a18 and elysium, the m5 sounds much different than the other two.

here's how i hear it between the 3:

a18 - ultimate neutrality, flat-frequency response, reference sound with amazing detail and separation

elysium - laid back, mid-humped, very detailed, incredible overall mids and vocals (wow, the vocals)

m5 - super high energy, V-shaped sound sig with emphasized bass and lots of treble energy...definitely colored signature, but a lot of fun and very musical. @aaf evo mentioned to me he thought these sound like the fourte in some ways. i didn't hear it at first, but after listening for a little while i did get a similar euphonic and colored experience; again, there is definitely coloration, however, it's not as incoherent as the fourte, nor as accurate and realistic sounding as the a18...it just sounded really nice.

these 3 would make an uber nice totl trio, indeed.

2 ears up for the m5!

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #300 of 6,220
really liking the fir m5...while i find some similarities between the a18 and elysium, the m5 sounds much different than the other two.

here's how i hear it between the 3:

a18 - ultimate neutrality, flat-frequency response, reference sound with amazing detail and separation

elysium - laid back, mid-humped, very detailed, incredible overall mids and vocals (wow, the vocals)

m5 - super high energy, V-shaped sound sig with emphasized bass and lots of treble energy...definitely colored signature, but a lot of fun and very musical. @aaf evo mentioned to me he thought these sound like the fourte in some ways. i didn't hear it at first, but after listening for a little while i did get a similar euphonic and colored experience; again, there is definitely coloration, however, it's not as incoherent as the fourte, nor as accurate and realistic sounding as the a18...it just sounded really nice.

these 3 would make an uber nice totl trio, indeed.

2 ears up for the m5!

How did you find the bass more boomy and slamy or detailed and nuanced? Would you find the treble to peacky? What source you used and music type?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back