Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Oct 28, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #3,242 of 6,223
any cayin n8ii owners here that have the xe6, what is your preferred setting on cayin

Oct 28, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #3,243 of 6,223
Hi All, wanted to do a quick update on this situation. We value our customers and would like to make you all aware of possible units out there that will not be supported if purchased from the resellers that are selling unfaceplated product. There was some unattached faceplated included in the package and we noticed those Xe6 units are not up for sale on eBay so they are likely making their way to a retailer / sold already to unknowing purchasers. These plates could have been glued on with incorrect glue and ruin the drivers etc. Bottom line they will not be warrantied so if you are buying an Xe6 second hand please check against this blacklist of serials before you buy or contact us for a warranty support status.

Thank you all again for the love and support of Fir Audio product.

(Xe6 UIEM Serial Blacklist)
CE2US
NTCVS
7GCR8
NZGF5
TZC3F
FDJ8Z
Hi All, just wanted to put out a notice that we recently had a package lost in shipment with a large number of non retail Frontier products. There has been a report that a listing was seen on head-fi for them. Please be aware and report it to my DM or head-fi admins if you see it.

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Oct 28, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #3,244 of 6,223
any cayin n8ii owners here that have the xe6, what is your preferred setting on cayin
P+/ Medium gain/Tubes - mainly for electronic genres. I use solid state too for a larger stage if it suits the music.

Oct 28, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #3,245 of 6,223
P+/ Medium gain/Tubes - mainly for electronic genres. I use solid state too for a larger stage if it suits the music.
i am using the same settings, going thru tons of ear tips, and now i am liking the softears tips the most as the tightens up the bass and pushes mids more forward with more definition, tip roiling always takes the toll on me after I get an iem, my final experimentation will be with cables, which is going to be tough as i have to buy blindly and hope it will not be super expensive up to 1k usd is my budget.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #3,246 of 6,223
i am using the same settings, going thru tons of ear tips, and now i am liking the softears tips the most as the tightens up the bass and pushes mids more forward with more definition, tip roiling always takes the toll on me after I get an iem, my final experimentation will be with cables, which is going to be tough as i have to buy blindly and hope it will not be super expensive up to 1k usd is my budget.
Personally I use the Spinfit W1 tips and the Liquid Links Venom cable with XE6. I had a lot of hassles with fit at the start but those tips fit and sound excellent.

Oct 28, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #3,247 of 6,223
Personally I use the Spinfit W1 tips and the Liquid Links Venom cable with XE6. I had a lot of hassles with fit at the start but those tips fit and sound excellent.
i have the w1 tips they are great, but i liked the softears better when it came to the midrange

can u share what you like bout the venom cable vs stock

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #3,248 of 6,223
i have the w1 tips they are great, but i liked the softears better when it came to the midrange

can u share what you like bout the venom cable vs stock
I wrote a post about the cable here if you want to take a look. The one thing I will point out is that ergonomics with Venom need to be taken into account. It is a fairly heavy/rigid cable so if you were planning to be out walking around with it, it probably would not be the best option. It is more suited to desk listening.

It's a long time since I used the stock cable but my memory of it was everything sounding a little veiled and congested.

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #3,249 of 6,223
Also W1 and LL Venom :)
Great cable. It has around 30 hours of playing only, so probably not burned in yet properly but I hear from the start there is more clarity and sounds bigger than Scorpion.

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #3,250 of 6,223
I wrote a post about the cable here if you want to take a look. The one thing I will point out is that ergonomics with Venom need to be taken into account. It is a fairly heavy/rigid cable so if you were planning to be out walking around with it, it probably would not be the best option. It is more suited to desk listening.

It's a long time since I used the stock cable but my memory of it was everything sounding a little veiled and congested.
I like Venom's ergonomics :) But I preffer more heavyduty cables over those thin, fragile jewellry - i.e. Eletech Prudence.
Venom ergonomics reminds me slightly a PW Audio No. 10, which also feels very solid.

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #3,251 of 6,223
I like Venom's ergonomics :) But I preffer more heavyduty cables over those thin, fragile jewellry - i.e. Eletech Prudence.
Venom ergonomics reminds me slightly a PW Audio No. 10, which also feels very solid.
Hey, yes I quite like it myself but others I have shown it to have compared it to a garden hose so I guess we all have different levels of what is acceptable so it's worth highlighting.

Oct 28, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #3,253 of 6,223
i feel the same too, congested with stock. i will get LL venom to try. i found the xe6 paired with dx320 more pleasing than n8ii, especially the bass is smoother and relax sounding but still keep the bass texture and quantity.
Yea, I had DX320 for a while and liked amp11 and 12 with XE6 too. A little less of an intense listen compared to N8ii. In fairness, I don't think I've tried XE6 with a source and not liked it.

Oct 28, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #3,254 of 6,223
Hey, yes I quite like it myself but others I have shown it to have compared it to a garden hose so I guess we all have different levels of what is acceptable so it's worth highlighting.
Venom could be safely used to dry a heavy laundry :) The only thing I'd change is the length - 115cm is quite short, almost too short to have it connected to something in the pocket.

Oct 28, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #3,255 of 6,223
Yea, I had DX320 for a while and liked amp11 and 12 with XE6 too. A little less of an intense listen compared to N8ii. In fairness, I don't think I've tried XE6 with a source and not liked it.
xe6 is the best bass iem i've ever tried. i used to own the ab1266 tc and the xe6 like a baby tc , the bass quantity is so satisfying. does the LL venom still keep the bass texture and quantity like stock cable, you know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back