Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Oct 28, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #3,256 of 6,242
xe6 is the best bass iem i've ever tried. i used to own the ab1266 tc and the xe6 like a baby tc , the bass quantity is so satisfying. does the LL venom still keep the bass texture and quantity like stock cable, you know?
Venom has even more bass, especially sub. I compared The Doors using both cables and Venom gives a goosebumps how big this can sound.

Oct 29, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #3,257 of 6,242
Have those Xe6 since yesterday. Initialy, when comparing them against the Kr5 (3 weeks ago at the resseler store), I chose the Kr5, because its bass seemed to be less pronounced against the too bassy Xe6.
Eventually I did change my order to the Xe6, beacuse of its more appealing musical presentation.

Yesterday I really had the time to listen to the Xe6 (with the Azla SednaEarfit Xelastec tips, silver Atom and stock cabe). At first the bass overwhelmed me (as happened 3 weeks ago). Few hours into the listening session, the bass became more setteled for my ears, as though my hearing perception became trained/adjusted to that. The bass became "right" and more than acceptable.

My 2 cents.

Thanks.
IMG-20221029-WA0010.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #3,258 of 6,242
Have those Xe6 since yesterday. Initialy, when comparing them against the Kr5 (3 weeks ago at the resseler store), I chose the Kr5, because its bass seemed to be less pronounced against the too bassy Xe6.
Eventually I did change my order to the Xe6, beacuse of its more appealing musical presentation.

Yesterday I really listened to the Xe6 (with the Azla SednaEarfit Xelastec tips, silver Atom and stock cabe). At first the bass overwhelmed me (as happened 3 weeks ago). Few hours into the listening session, the bass became more setteled for my hears, as though my hearing perception became trained/adjusted to that. The bass became "right" and more than acceptable.

My 2 cents.

Thanks.IMG-20221029-WA0010.jpg
Yes! Brain burn-in is a thing with the Xe6! Congratulations!

Oct 31, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #3,259 of 6,242

Yesterday I really had the time to listen to the Xe6 (with the Azla SednaEarfit Xelastec tips, silver Atom and stock cabe). At first the bass overwhelmed me (as happened 3 weeks ago). Few hours into the listening session, the bass became more setteled for my ears, as though my hearing perception became trained/adjusted to that. The bass became "right" and more than acceptable.

My 2 cents.

Thanks.

Congratulations. Brain burn-in is a real thing indeed. Is that a questyle dongle?

Oct 31, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #3,260 of 6,242
Yes it is the Questyle M15, which pairs very good with the Xe6. So is the iFi GoBlu. Both enable mobility while listening (Roon and Roon ARC).
My stationary setup includes the Hugo2 (on its own) or connected via iFi Ican Pro (mostly tube mode).

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #3,262 of 6,242
First of all, thanks to Charles for his warm welcome on the "Casques-Headphones" stand, and thus the listening of the following 2 models (there were others) at Fir :

- FIR Audio KR5 (3000$)
- FIR Audio XE6 (3900$)

Dap used M1s, 2.5mm balanced output, fast filter, low gain.
Unknown" tips, black, silicone, medium bore (neither wide nor narrow) supplied by "Casques-Headphones", but which did the job (sal and fit = RAS).
Stock cables, symmetrical. I'll talk about it again...
ATTENTION: I don't know which modules were installed! Silver ? Gold ?... DK...

Disclaimer:

What I'm looking for in my hifi listening, are products whose general behaviour, the sound, is as close as possible to the sensations of live. It has to be lively, as dynamic as possible, with nuanced transients (from murmur to extreme violence). I'm not interested in whether it's "neutral" or "straight" or "transparent". What I'm looking for is balanced and homogeneous products, both in BP and in texture. I'm also interested in "definition" and "resolution": it has to be as high as possible, but still natural. It's like a TV with too much or too little sharpness. You have to find the right gradient. So I like products that are "on the edge". You also need substance, harmonic richness. I'm not interested in overtly analytical sounds... because they are not realistic. The same goes for the opposite, when I think it's too "round", or too "hot", or lacking in "sparkle" and "bite" (these are purely musical notions by the way). The stories of "musicality" also seem completely abstract to me...

In short, this is what I'm looking for. If a recording, a song, a track is aggressive, then it should sound like that. If it's soft, then it should sound "soft", if it's... we get it.

FIR Audio XE6

Well, I'll start with this one... which is not my thing, but it's good. Let me explain.
It is a bias, and I would say that it is the "BASS-HEAD" version of the KR5... which already have everything of the intra BASS-HEAD iem !
To be more precise, it's rather the "HIGH-GRAVE / LOW MEDIUM HEAD" version .... An analysis between the Kr5's and the XE6's shows that the tuning of the medium and highs is different. This is how the balance is changed, on an identical or almost identical bottom end bass tuning :

Illustration:

And so, when listening, the psychoacoustic balance is quite profoundly modified... Compared to the KR5's, the XE6's are clearly "warm", and for my taste too much so. This does not make me run away, but I feel a strong coloration, which I hear on each track I listen to... So a lot of systematism, which in my book is not a good thing, and in any case, not something I'm looking for.

I've listened to all styles, and it was confirmed each time.

After that, having said that, it's a nice, fun listen, obviously, very solid sound. Their "Kinetic Bass" system is not a gimmick and it works very well (also by virtue of the tuning) = it's telluric, very physical, and it gives quite unheard of sensations for iems. At the same time, as it is an open structure and radiates directly into the conch of the ears, no discomfort or unpleasant acoustic overpressure. In short, for me, their concept works. And the phonic isolation isn't very good.

After that, as I read on the net, is it on the level of the best headsets, or better... of a somewhat ambitious sedentary system (let alone the best) = no way. Sorry, it's not going to be for this time! :loool: Don't push granny in the nettles, and frankly, the people who post this on the net, I wonder what their references are !

So if I summarize: colored listening, big bias in the low / low medium bandwith compared to the rest of the audio spectrum, while being alive, detailed, very powerful. Homogeneity perfectible amha, between the impact of the bottom / bass very important and thus, the armatures in the top bandwith which well... sound like armatures (tones, timbres), and thus according to the tonal balance chosen and claimed.

In summary, glass half empty and half full for me. To try, I think, before purchase.

Oh yes also, the stock cable is... dispensable... but I think that for the XE6, it is however more indicated than for the KR5. See below...

FIR Audio kr5

This is an almost completely different beast, and to tell you the truth, it looks a lot more like my stuff (sound wise)!

Big bass, telluric too, etc., lots of rumble (I don't think I've heard such a marked effect elsewhere for iems, but under control). The lower midrange is a bit too forward though, which introduces a noticeable coloration, but way more discreet than with the XE6's.

Where this changes is in the midrange and what follows: it is crystal clear, with total clarity (rather than limpidity), with a very high level of definition and resolution. A lot of bite (maybe too much ?). Without worrying about the Final A8000's, which in this matter are my references, with the Rhapsodio Infinity mk2's.

A word, for the restitution, in general: IN-TEN-SE.

In my book, more intense than what I knew of more intense, that are the Kaiser Encore, the Final A8000's and the mighty Infinity mk2's !

But....

It's borderline foul amha. I've listened to these beasts about 20 minutes, and I was starting to feel a fatigue.
Also, it's "over spectacular", but it lacks naturalness (timbres) as everything is over the top. Compared to my Ringo's not to mention them, this is very obvious. Where the kr5's are "crystal clear" at the top of the bandwith (from the midrange and then above), the Ringo's are far more "limpid", more liquid, but just as detailed. Also fuller, compared to the voices for instance, where the kr5's are a bit "thin" (compared to... direct comparison as well). Also the KR5's use the same artifice as the Encore's again around 6-7khz with an emphasis (admittedly more discreet than the Encore's) but which is immediately peerceptible with this test range :

In the intro, there is a kind of bell (?). Now, when the 6-7khz zone is "emphasized", it is immediately noticeable on this bell-like stroke (presence in the mix, supernaturally long decay length, (over-)brightness...).

And so the Kr5's have this trait, like the Kaiser Encore's, the Zeus XRA's, the Final A8000's, the Rhapsodio Infinity mk2's...

Also, the homogeneity of the bandwith and blance is not perfect imao, in the sense that the kinetic bass play in their corner (but what a corner !!! ), then the "rest", with the tuning that belongs to them so...

In short, I found that it tends to "sting"... but it piqued my curiosity, as I love this type of extreme product, which behaves like F1 cars, and which must be tamed. These are my favourite products, and these KR5's (apart from the **** prices), from a purely sonic point of view, are among them.

It would thus be necessary to play with the tips (however, those used at the time of my listening seemed to make the job)... but especially with the cable!

Because the stock cable tends to be thin and harsh sounding, and, I find with the kR5's, aggressive. With the XE6's on the other hand, I would say that the same cable gives off their tuning, much warmer and uh... "fatty", so it's debatable.

But, having in hand my Plussound GPS x8, which is a pure gold-plated silver with just superb timbres and tones, a great smoothness (too much with the Ringo thus... :xf_eek: ) and a lot of matter, texture, weightn in particular in the bottom bass end, and with full mediums, hyper natural, and finally very extended but soft highs in short...

... I put this GPS x8 in place of the stock cable and frankly, it had nothing to do with it. Going for the much better, "compared to...".

Conclusion :

Here, here, in a few words my few impressions, in relation to two products which marked me, but with a very clear preference for the KR5's which correspond much more to my tastes.

For the latter, I had the sensation of F1, repeat, very demanding products, but which can give the best if one takes the time to break their code and to understand them.

On the other hand, remain the prices (although the quality of manufacture, construction, finishing are at the top of the top. Also, small shells, very good fit, RAS (Y) )... which are completely ****ed amha... but hey, that's the life....
That's all folks ! :beerchug:

Nov 8, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #3,264 of 6,242
Just to note:
When I first listened to both the Xe6 and the Kr5, at the dealer's store (for more than 2 hours), I was overwhelmed by the Xe6's bass. At that point, I chose to order the Kr5. But soon after, remembering the musicality of the Xe6, resulted in changing my order.
As soon as the Xe6 arrived, I had the opportunity to really listen to it. At first the bass felt excessive, but after few hours of listening, it setteled for me to become "right". Since then the bass feels beautuful. As though my heaing perception was trained (burned-in?).

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #3,265 of 6,242
FIR Audio kr5

Where this changes is in the midrange and what follows: it is crystal clear, with total clarity (rather than limpidity), with a very high level of definition and resolution. A lot of bite (maybe too much ?).
I always find it fascinating how different the perception of sound/earphones can be depending on person.
Me, I honestly did not hear the KR5 as a particularly „clear" sounding earphone. To me, it sounded almost a bit dull compared to other stuff I have heard in a similar price range (don’t want to say it sounded bad, just not clear - that attribute fittet better to my perception of the NE4). I have heard about similar experiences by other users on Headfi...but then on the other hand there are different folks that seem to perceive the KR5 as you describe it. I am still searching for explanations....since this definitely seems to be beyond the "little differences" we all hear....:thinking:
Reminds me a bit on my perception of the JH Audio Layla years ago....some people heard it as "highly technical proficient", while to me it sounded - again - kinda dull. No idea why, maybe it’s the way it sat in my ear etc?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #3,266 of 6,242
I always find it fascinating how different the perception of sound/earphones can be depending on person.
Me, I honestly did not hear the KR5 as a particularly "crystal clear" sounding earphone. To me, it sounded almost a bit dull compared to other stuff I have heard in a similar (or even lower) price range. I have heard the same from several users on Headfi...but then on the other hand there are different people that seem to perceive the KR5 as you describe it. I am still searching for explanations....since this definitely seems to be beyond the "little differences" we all hear....:thinking:
Reminds me a bit on my perception of the JH Audio Layla years ago....some people heard it as "highly technical proficient", while to me it sounded - again - kinda dull.
Yes it is very weird indeed.

I like - love -very much intense and limpid, crytal clear (no veil) iems (Kaiser Encore, A8000, Zeus XRA, Infinity mk2... to mention the more intense uiems I know, and my FH9 - green filters -, Aure Audio Ringo and Elixir...), and these Kr5 are in my book in the verge of a "harsh" sound (I think the stack cable is the responsible... I got the proof when I set up a GPS Plussound instead... ).

Very weird, yes... :thinking:

Maybe a "impedance mismatch" (betwin yours, or my dap...) ??? :thinking:

Nov 8, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #3,267 of 6,242
Just to note:
When I first listened to both the Xe6 and the Kr5, at the dealer's store (for more than 2 hours), I was overwhelmed by the Xe6's bass. At that point, I chose to order the Kr5. But soon after, remembering the musicality of the Xe6, resulted in changing my order.
As soon as the Xe6 arrived, I had the opportunity to really listen to it. At first the bass felt excessive, but after few hours of listening, it setteled for me to become "right". Since then the bass feels beautuful. As though my heaing perception was trained (burned-in?).
I think this happens all the time....after a certain time with iem our head really gets used to it and we really started to see what it can give us....

Me, I honestly did not hear the KR5 as a particularly „clear" sounding earphone. To me, it sounded almost a bit dull compared to other stuff I have heard in a similar price range (don’t want to say it sounded bad, just not clear - that attribute fittet better to my perception of the NE4). I have heard about similar experiences by other users on Headfi...but then on the other hand there are different people that seem to perceive the KR5 as you describe it. I am still searching for explanations....since this definitely seems to be beyond the "little differences" we all hear....:thinking:
Reminds me a bit on my perception of the JH Audio Layla years ago....some people heard it as "highly technical proficient", while to me it sounded - again - kinda dull. No idea why, maybe it’s the way it sat in my ear etc?
Yes..... Definitely sometimes the same goes for one, it's something of the best you've ever heard and for another it may not be....🤷‍♂️😊

Nov 9, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #3,268 of 6,242
I think this happens all the time....after a certain time with iem our head really gets used to it and we really started to see what it can give us....

Yes..... Definitely sometimes the same goes for one, it's something of the best you've ever heard and for another it may not be....🤷‍♂️😊
Yes, but...

It was at a parisian audio salon, last saturday. We were at least 5 different persons to make listening session with (KR5), and the same :

Uber clarity, verge of the "too much"... So to speak. Need to be tamed.

Really, an intense experience for us... and me. And I like "intense" products and listening sessions as well (hence my preferred gears)...

Then, I don't understand... Very weird in fact 🤔

Nov 9, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #3,269 of 6,242
Yes, but...

It was at a parisian audio salon, last saturday. We were at least 5 different persons to make listening session with (KR5), and the same :

Uber clarity, verge of the "too much"... So to speak. Need to be tamed.

Really, an intense experience for us... and me. And I like "intense" products and listening sessions as well (hence my preferred gears)...

Then, I don't understand... Very weird in fact 🤔
Yes, this has happened to me too, in the sense that many people love it and that I simply heard and could not understand, things that happen in this "world" of iem's.....I saw that you are from France, you have never tried Earsonics products. ....

Nov 9, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #3,270 of 6,242
Yes, this has happened to me too, in the sense that many people love it and that I simply heard and could not understand, things that happen in this "world" of iem's.....I saw that you are from France, you have never tried Earsonics products. ....
I have tried the Grace, but, not for me... at all... :beyersmile:

What a shame. :slight_frown:

I am a traitor of my own country ! :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back