Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Dec 12, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #271 of 6,244
The main reason I sold my M5 is I couldn't change it's sound signature in general - subtle differences are one thing, but by swapping cables sources etc I can generally alter a lot of stuff about an IEM.

If the stock M5 sound has less bass I might've kept it, but regardless - the proprietary connector makes it pretty difficult for me to do just about anything with it, and the LID 2.0 makes my source swapping pretty useless too

It's a great IEM, I just found it to be too pro oriented

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #272 of 6,244
Seriously, those DAPs are overrated and overhyped in terms of technical ability differences compared to much lower priced DAPs. As someone who owned and own expensive DAPs, you would get at least 90-95% from DAPs costing 70% less.
I’ve always said once you reach the $1k bracket, the law of diminishing returns kick in big time.

That interview was in March, I wonder after their updated signature change in M5 if he still feels the same?

I still prefer my wm1z over cayin n6ii and fiios or ibassos.... That 10% better to me sounds enough of a change to keep the more expensive device. There is a reason why expensive daps exist, Cayin N8, LPGT and Sp2000 or wm1z :o2smile:

How about the new cable from effect audio that cost 2500 $:gs1000smile:

Same goes for iems to, why buy m5 when you can buy m4?

The improved sound is there its just a matter of do you will to pay for it ? Some can some cant, or some just cant justify the price...

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #273 of 6,244
The main reason I sold my M5 is I couldn't change it's sound signature in general - subtle differences are one thing, but by swapping cables sources etc I can generally alter a lot of stuff about an IEM.

If the stock M5 sound has less bass I might've kept it, but regardless - the proprietary connector makes it pretty difficult for me to do just about anything with it, and the LID 2.0 makes my source swapping pretty useless too

It's a great IEM, I just found it to be too pro oriented

If you baught it with the modules to swap between + N - maybe you could of tamed that bass?

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #274 of 6,244
I still prefer my wm1z over cayin n6ii and fiios or ibassos.... That 10% better to me sounds enough of a change to keep the more expensive device. There is a reason why expensive daps exist, Cayin N8, LPGT and Sp2000 or wm1z :o2smile:

The improved sound is there its just a matter of do you will to pay for it ? Some can some cant, or some just cant justify the price...
Completely agree with this comment

Sometimes the only metric is performance and performance alone regardless of price

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #275 of 6,244
If you baught it with the modules to swap between + N - maybe you could of tamed that bass?
I had it as a universal and it’s more the fun element that LID kills for me, I really enjoy playing with sources cables tweaking the sound and so on

As I said in my review, it’s an exceptional IEM, just not one that synergized well with me :)

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #276 of 6,244

Well many buy more expensive stuffs as their perception is the higher the price, the better it sounds. Many would fail in a blind test except those with very well trained ears, and even then the success rate won’t be 100%.
As for M4 and M5, main difference is estat driver. I have for years waited for a trybid of dynamic lows, BA mids and estats highs.
A better comparison for you would be like M4 and M3 instead of M4 and M5.
And don’t get me started on ridiculously priced cables. I do agree that copper/silver/gold affects sound, but to the extend for a $2,000 cable? I LOL at people who have ‘lemming’ ears like our infamous Rudi. But hey, your money - your boat.

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #277 of 6,244
I had it as a universal and it’s more the fun element that LID kills for me, I really enjoy playing with sources cables tweaking the sound and so on

As I said in my review, it’s an exceptional IEM, just not one that synergized well with me :)

I Have read your review, very nicely done. You seem to really love the m5 and the fact that its so good and versatile is exactly what I am after. My philosophy is keep 1 iem that is the best of them all. Cause I travel alot for work and there is no way I am going to carry around 5 iems and 10 sets of cables haha. I once owned tia forte the original and it was not my thing the treble made me sell them cause I just couldnt take no more. I did listen to edm music with it oh that bass was something.
I am a treble sensitive person so its important it stay acceptable. Tia trio treble to my ears is the perfection of treble tuning to my liking, it can zing and sparkle but never hurt...

I am a little concerned about the frequencies range of m5, it shows 10hz to 20 000 hz, but tia trio or forte can 5hz and 22 000hz. My concern is does m5 grab as low into the sub bass as the forte ? With that DD?
I read you mention m5 is superbly tuned for quality bass, that also something I give big credit for, but really want the sub bass rumble to :)

How do you find m5 size wise vs forte? Is it bigger shell, does feel as comfortable as 64a?

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #278 of 6,244
I Have read your review, very nicely done. You seem to really love the m5 and the fact that its so good and versatile is exactly what I am after. My philosophy is keep 1 iem that is the best of them all. Cause I travel alot for work and there is no way I am going to carry around 5 iems and 10 sets of cables haha. I once owned tia forte the original and it was not my thing the treble made me sell them cause I just couldnt take no more. I did listen to edm music with it oh that bass was something.
I am a treble sensitive person so its important it stay acceptable. Tia trio treble to my ears is the perfection of treble tuning to my liking, it can zing and sparkle but never hurt...

I am a little concerned about the frequencies range of m5, it shows 10hz to 20 000 hz, but tia trio or forte can 5hz and 22 000hz. My concern is does m5 grab as low into the sub bass as the forte ? With that DD?
I read you mention m5 is superbly tuned for quality bass, that also something I give big credit for, but really want the sub bass rumble to :)

How do you find m5 size wise vs forte? Is it bigger shell, does feel as comfortable as 64a?
It’s a smaller shell and similarly comfortable as the Fourte

Subbass wasn’t lacking either (from recollection at least), but if you’re treble sensitive I’d say the M4 might be a better choice as the estat presence is very noticeable in the M5

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #279 of 6,244
It’s a smaller shell and similarly comfortable as the Fourte

Subbass wasn’t lacking either (from recollection at least), but if you’re treble sensitive I’d say the M4 might be a better choice as the estat presence is very noticeable in the M5

Thanks, I feel like its the same story as me my forte vs trio, where trio much less trebly then fortes hmmm

Good to know that the bass is as good, and man if the shell is more compact this iem is going to be so comfy. My trios already get drawn in my ears lol

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #280 of 6,244
Thanks, I feel like its the same story as me my forte vs trio, where trio much less trebly then fortes hmmm

Good to know that the bass is as good, and man if the shell is more compact this iem is going to be so comfy. My trios already get drawn in my ears lol
The trouble is, I’m not certain if the M4 will be a huge improvement over the trio...

Have you considered something like the Legend X?

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #281 of 6,244
The trouble is, I’m not certain if the M4 will be a huge improvement over the trio...

I really disliked the LX, that bass was all just about slaming and slaming, I baught a custom phantom instead at that time. Trios bass is like between forte and LX to my feel. I also recently sold ier-z1r and that bass while its very detailed and nuanced I still find forte bass to be the best.

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #282 of 6,244
I really disliked the LX, that bass was all just about slaming and slaming, I baught a custom phantom instead at that time. Trios bass is like between forte and LX to my feel. I also recently sold ier-z1r and that bass while its very detailed and nuanced I still find forte bass to be the best.
I genuinely hated the Z1R in all honestly.. rarely tried an IEM that I found to be so generic in its tuning

Maybe the Fourte Noir is a potential candidate? It keeps the Fourte bass but it’s treble is a bit less pronounced. You can always bring it out with a cable or a source but it does sound like what you’re looking for to a large extent

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #283 of 6,244

I have the M4 and they sound differente to the Trio. I actually liked both, but enjoy the M4 more. The Trio has more bass qty, extension is prob about the same, other than that, the M4 is more balannced.

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #284 of 6,244
I genuinely hated the Z1R in all honestly.. rarely tried an IEM that I found to be so generic in its tuning

Maybe the Fourte Noir is a potential candidate? It keeps the Fourte bass but it’s treble is a bit less pronounced. You can always bring it out with a cable or a source but it does sound like what you’re looking for to a large extent

I am worried the forte noir might bring that treble issue back, It was very pronounced the treble peack in fortes original. To a point where I had to lower the volume but then you dont enjoy the music. What I really like about trio is the LID 1 technology :), it makes it more even sounding and much less power is needed to run it, trio volume is set at 45/120 and forte was 70/120 thats on high gain with wm1z. Overall trio is more to my alley then forte. Only that bass I would tame it by -1 db and it be perfect.

ier-z1r is a very capable iem I found it quiet good at first, eventually it was so uncomfortable I just couldn't handle them anymore. What funny is after I switched to trio for 2 weeks, going back to z1r I was like shocked. Treble was harsh way to siblant and peaky, sounded thinner and less entertaing then trio, way less mid forward sound made things sound less alive and engaging. I departed from them without any emotional attachment.

It will be now around 4 years that I am enjoying music and I am now officially an audiophile I can say, I learned that with my taste and the sound signatures I prefer doesnt get it from the most expensive iems. Ussualy the top best are oriented toward brighter trebles and tuned for like classical music and live orchestra stuff. Heck I dont listen to that lol sorry.
I use spotify 99% and my types are edm, solo signers, occasional live music, I do like Johnny cash and Eric Clapton but I aint gona listen to that days long you know.

Screenshot_20191206-134329_Spotify.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #285 of 6,244
I am worried the forte noir might bring that treble issue back, It was very pronounced the treble peack in fortes original. To a point where I had to lower the volume but then you dont enjoy the music. What I really like about trio is the LID 1 technology :), it makes it more even sounding and much less power is needed to run it, trio volume is set at 45/120 and forte was 70/120 thats on high gain with wm1z. Overall trio is more to my alley then forte. Only that bass I would tame it by -1 db and it be perfect.

ier-z1r is a very capable iem I found it quiet good at first, eventually it was so uncomfortable I just couldn't handle them anymore. What funny is after I switched to trio for 2 weeks, going back to z1r I was like shocked. Treble was harsh way to siblant and peaky, sounded thinner and less entertaing then trio, way less mid forward sound made things sound less alive and engaging. I departed from them without any emotional attachment.

It will be now around 4 years that I am enjoying music and I am now officially an audiophile I can say, I learned that with my taste and the sound signatures I prefer doesnt get it from the most expensive iems. Ussualy the top best are oriented toward brighter trebles and tuned for like classical music and live orchestra stuff. Heck I dont listen to that lol sorry.
I use spotify 99% and my types are edm, solo signers, occasional live music, I do like Johnny cash and Eric Clapton but I aint gona listen to that days long you know.

LID has become a bit of dealbreaker for me, same goes for FIBAE and so on :)

My preference is towards extremely mid-centric IEMs, with tons of treble and very flat bass, so I'm not sure just how much help I can be in all honesty... My sort of reference for warm IEMs are the VE8, the Trio/Fourte and the Legend X. The FiR M5 has quite a bit of bass, but also loads of mids and treble, so I wouldn't necessarily call it warm - intense rather

Users who are viewing this thread

Back