Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Dec 6, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #242 of 6,244
I wonder if there'd be enough market to allow for an M5wo (M5 without) and an M5pp (M5 plug 'n play)? If it's as simple as not including the matching circuit, that would allow those who want to the opportunity to roll cables and sources. Pros could continue to simply "plug in".

Dec 6, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #243 of 6,244
I wonder if there'd be enough market to allow for an M5wo (M5 without) and an M5pp (M5 plug 'n play)? If it's as simple as not including the matching circuit, that would allow those who want to the opportunity to roll cables and sources. Pros could continue to simply "plug in".

I highly doubt it , I’d imagine from a production standpoint that’s not feasible/worth it? I even asked about getting an M5 with 2 pin over RCX and they won’t do that either.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #244 of 6,244
Hi folks,

how big are the iems? are they all same size from m2 all the way to m5? also curious to know how size wise is it vs 64 a tia trio?

Any new reviews or impressions :)

Dec 11, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #245 of 6,244
Hi folks,

how big are the iems? are they all same size from m2 all the way to m5? also curious to know how size wise is it vs 64 a tia trio?

Any new reviews or impressions :)

Oh, hey there :wink:

The shell sizes are great and actually similar to the 64 audio universal sizes, from memory I think the FiR ones MAY be a little smaller? Someone would have to confirm that. The M5’s ergonomics were fantastic. I have no idea on the shell sizes between different FiR models though.

Dec 11, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #246 of 6,244

The shell sizes are great and actually similar to the 64 audio universal sizes, from memory I think the FiR ones MAY be a little smaller? Someone would have to confirm that. The M5’s ergonomics were fantastic. I have no idea on the shell sizes between different FiR models though.

Ho Ho Hello :jecklinsmile:

Oh wow if fir is smaller then 64a that is even a huge + for!
Not saying that 64a isnt comfortable but smaller is always a bonus )

Dec 11, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #247 of 6,244

from page 2 of this thread all models seem to be the same size.

For those of you looking for customs I posted this on page 2 .....Fir Customs seem to be overbuilt for the professional industry. Which is great for us users who like to keep their gear looking and functioning well for years. The Fircon connector enables a musician to disconnect and reconnect up to 5000 times. Further, their Acrylic shells exceed the current industry standard of thickness. Most companies use .7 to .8 mm thickness , FIR makes theirs 1.1-1.2 mm thick. I take good care of my stuff but accidents do happen and its nice to know these are constructed to withstand much more that the industry standard !

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #249 of 6,244
i should be hearing the m5 tomorrow.

will be able to give impressions between my a18t / elysium demo / fir m5 demo

Dec 11, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #250 of 6,244
i should be hearing the m5 tomorrow.

will be able to give impressions between my a18t / elysium demo / fir m5 demo

Yes please )
What source are you using?
Any cable rolling maybe?

Dec 11, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #251 of 6,244
won't be rolling cables.

while i definitely hear differences with cables (a18 + pw 1950 is incredible,) i believe you can get a very good sense for what a transducer sounds like just by listening to it on virtually any source, even a crappy one.

agree that you won't know the maximum limit until you optimize every component in the audio chain, but i believe that spending enough time with a headphone, and ab'ing back to back on nearly any similar source, will give you a very good sense of variances in general sound signatures.

that said, i'll have my mojo at the ready...

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #252 of 6,244
won't be rolling cables.

while i definitely hear differences with cables (a18 + pw 1950 is incredible,) i believe you can get a very good sense for what a transducer sounds like just by listening to it on virtually any source, even a crappy one.

agree that you won't know the maximum limit until you optimize every component in the audio chain, but i believe that spending enough time with a headphone, and ab'ing back to back on nearly any similar source, will give you a very good sense of variances in general sound signatures.

that said, i'll have my mojo at the ready...

I know cable arent a believer for everyone but it does change sound characteristics a little. Thats how you can maximize your ultimate tuning. I am sure even m5 will scale or show sound differences between cables!
All iems and headphones I tried all behaved in that matter.
What is false or people like to call it snake oil is that they think it supposed to change the iem sound into something better and higher level. Which is not really the case of how it works lets say. It eather add treble a little or sound more this way or more bass and vis versa....

I cant wait to read your impressions! Very curious :ksc75smile:

Dec 11, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #253 of 6,244
I agree that additional parts of the audio chain won't change a transducer that sounds bad into something that sounds good.

In my experience, you start with an iem whose sound signature you appreciate under any condition, and that you think sounds outstanding out of the box. then, you seek additional components to add to the chain that create a synergy; hopefully enabling you to squeeze every last ounce of audio pleasure out of what you already love to begin with.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #254 of 6,244
FiR Audio's stock cables are solid to begin with. One of the few stock cables that I don't have an urge to swap / tweak (cosmetic or otherwise).

If you have a bunch of 2-Pins cables to play with, FiR Audio has RCX-2Pin adaptor (https://www.firaudio.com/store/rcx-2-pin-adaptor) albeit a bit pricey. Personally, not a fan of mini-adaptors as I tend to misplace them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back