Finger on the Trigger: D5000 - Talk me out of it, or into something else. :D
Apr 1, 2011 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

MorbidToaster

Headphoneus Supremus
So. I'm looking to buy my first high end can, and the D5000 seems like the right fit. Comfy, Great Bass, etc. I'm just wondering what my other options in the price range are. Bass is a big'un for me, but I hate cans were Bass just takes over. Think anything else would be good for me?

EDIT: I'm even considering going all out on a Moon recabled set.

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 14
D5000 are nice if you like bass, space and an overall fun sound.  If you're thinking of spending extra on a cable upgrade that will do nothing for their sound (while it is outside of your brain), put that investment towards D7000 instead.  Their bass is considerably more controlled and weak mids are better emphasized.  But with D5000 & even more with D7000 the treble is fairly intense, so be careful if you are sensitive to high frequencies.

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 14
Are the differences that great between the D5000 and the D7000?

On average what is the price different between the 2? Amazon seems to have them at sky high prices right now, so it's kind of tough to tell.

Quote:
D5000 are nice if you like bass, space and an overall fun sound.  If you're thinking of spending extra on a cable upgrade that will do nothing for their sound (while it is outside of your brain), put that investment towards D7000 instead.  Their bass is considerably more controlled and weak mids are better emphasized.  But with D5000 & even more with D7000 the treble is fairly intense, so be careful if you are sensitive to high frequencies.

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 14
Oh yeah. Bass Impact is the biggest thing I care about with headphones. That's why I keep 'em closed.

I was going to get some D2000s, but I'm just going for the big leap on my next can. Gonna go big and then invest in some Schiit equipment. Sorry, wallet. You're screwed.
Quote:
I like how the D2000's sound with music such as pendulum. (i noticed thats on your sig) the bass have a nice impact. 

Apr 1, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
Are the differences that great between the D5000 and the D7000?

On average what is the price different between the 2? Amazon seems to have them at sky high prices right now, so it's kind of tough to tell.

The improved bass & mids are noticeable (check the D7000 thread), but overall they have a very similar signature.  I happened to get my D7000 for $200 more than the D5000, that's why I suggested putting the price of a cable towards the headphone upgrade instead.

Apr 1, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #7 of 14
Make sense to me. I'll see what kind of prices I can get in the next few months. I've got to put away some savings before I blow it all.

Quote:
The improved bass & mids are noticeable (check the D7000 thread), but overall they have a very similar signature.  I happened to get my D7000 for $200 more than the D5000, that's why I suggested putting the price of a cable towards the headphone upgrade instead.

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
Oh yeah. Bass Impact is the biggest thing I care about with headphones. That's why I keep 'em closed.

Then you will definitely want to consider the Pro 900 over the D2000 and siblings. One of the big reasons I kept the Pro 900 over the D2000, is because the bass was far superior and much more preferred. It was deeper, hit harder, seemed clearer -- all resulting in simply the best bass I've ever heard from a headphone. The D2000 is definitely the brighter headphone if that has any weight to your considerations. Also, if you are slightly thinking about the Pro 900, read my review in my signature. That should sway you...
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 14
I love my Pro 750s. I really do. The problem I have with this line is the comfort. The 750s are comfortable to me for an hour at best before I need a break. One reason I'm set on one of the Denon line is the comfort.

EDIT: The Pro 900 have been on my list of 'Wants' since I started here on Head-Fi. I love the look, and the fabled sound. I still want to eventually own a pair.
Quote:

Then you will definitely want to consider the Pro 900 over the D2000 and siblings. One of the big reasons I kept the Pro 900 over the D2000, is because the bass was far superior and much more preferred. It was deeper, hit harder, seemed clearer -- all resulting in simply the best bass I've ever heard from a headphone. The D2000 is definitely the brighter headphone if that has any weight to your considerations. Also, if you are slightly thinking about the Pro 900, read my review in my signature. That should sway you...
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #10 of 14
Ah, I didn't even see you had the Pro 750. My bad. The Denons are definitely more comfortable. Well, initially (for me anyway). With both headphones, I only last about 45 minutes to an hour before my head hurts from the headband. But that aside, the Denons have a much softer clamp, and are extremely comfortable when first placed on your head. The sound signature is pretty similar, in which they both have a smiley curve response. Except the D2000 is brighter with less bass (but still enough), and the Pro 900 has slightly more metallic highs, but with more bass. Midranges were both a bit recessed, but nothing too bad. But the D2000 is a fabulous headphone for the money (beat my HD650). Cannot speak for the ones up the line, but the D2000 is definitely the value in the lineup.

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 14
Yeah, I was going to get the D2000, but I've basically decided I want to start my higher end equipment rather than stick the the mid range. I've heard that the D5000 and D7000 only improve on the previous models in the line as far as sound goes. I love the look and the fact that they don't clamp as hard, but still offer great, closed sound.

A side note that seems very strange to me, and another thing that sways me away from the Pro 900. I find my TMA-1 more comfortable for long periods of time than my Pro 750 as far as the headband goes (which is what makes me most uncomfortable). Its just something about that Pro line band.

EDIT: The TMA-1 band has absolutely no padding. Just hard rubber.

Quote:
Ah, I didn't even see you had the Pro 750. My bad. The Denons are definitely more comfortable. Well, initially (for me anyway). With both headphones, I only last about 45 minutes to an hour before my head hurts from the headband. But that aside, the Denons have a much softer clamp, and are extremely comfortable when first placed on your head. The sound signature is pretty similar, in which they both have a smiley curve response. Except the D2000 is brighter with less bass (but still enough), and the Pro 900 has slightly more metallic highs, but with more bass. Midranges were both a bit recessed, but nothing too bad. But the D2000 is a fabulous headphone for the money (beat my HD650). Cannot speak for the ones up the line, but the D2000 is definitely the value in the lineup.

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #12 of 14
Buy the D5000s.  Bass is far superior to the D2000s (if you like bass), and they are on the warmer side, but still sound great, and comfort is pretty much unmatched.

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #13 of 14
Yeah, Ultrasone's headbands and general clamping nature take time to get used to and they are definitely not everyone's cup of tea. When I first got them, I thought they would be horrible, but they definitely aren't bad. Before I knew it, I was watching full episodes of shows without even having to adjust them and take a break. But for all day stuff, I definitely couldn't wear it for hours on end (very few headphones I can). But, you can always try the additional headband mod found in the Pro 900 Appreciation Thread. Many say it improves the comfort greatly, but I haven't tried it so I cannot say. It pretty much looks like the K701 headband between the cups and normal headband, but it doesn't have bumps. If you want to see what it looks like, it's somewhere buried in that thread. You may not be interested, but you can always try it on your Pro 750 first.

The bass between the D7000 and the Pro 900 should be pretty close though. A member did an excellent review between the two if you want to read up on that.

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #14 of 14
I'll definitely go look for it. I MAY have read it already...I've read a few comparisons, just can't remember which.

I'll also check out that headband mod. Sounds pretty legit to me.

Quote:
Yeah, Ultrasone's headbands and general clamping nature take time to get used to and they are definitely not everyone's cup of tea. When I first got them, I thought they would be horrible, but they definitely aren't bad. Before I knew it, I was watching full episodes of shows without even having to adjust them and take a break. But for all day stuff, I definitely couldn't wear it for hours on end (very few headphones I can). But, you can always try the additional headband mod found in the Pro 900 Appreciation Thread. Many say it improves the comfort greatly, but I haven't tried it so I cannot say. It pretty much looks like the K701 headband between the cups and normal headband, but it doesn't have bumps. If you want to see what it looks like, it's somewhere buried in that thread. You may not be interested, but you can always try it on your Pro 750 first.

The bass between the D7000 and the Pro 900 should be pretty close though. A member did an excellent review between the two if you want to read up on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back