Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Oct 13, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #1,306 of 1,423
  The Soekris is an amazing piece of gear, no doubt about it. Main issue with the current version they are preparing for sale (the DAC1101 we listened to at RMAF - http://www.soekris.dk/dac1101.html) is that you can't bypass the amp section and just tap the very cool R2R DAC. Also it uses USB power, which would also be cool to take out and put in a better power section. 

What would be awesome is if someone could take two of the Soekris R2R DAC modules and build a balanced DAC with a really good power section, maybe even battery. 

Whatever they do (and lots of big-names in the industry were looking at Soren's little surface-mount wonder) my guess is the Soekris will be making waves in the near future. 

Cheers 

There's the switch on the back that toggles between headphone and line out. If I remember the conversation correctly, the LO bypasses the amp for use with an external amp or pre-amp. Are you saying that it isn't a dedicated LO?

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #1,307 of 1,423
There's the switch on the back that toggles between headphone and line out. If I remember the conversation correctly, the LO bypasses the amp for use with an external amp or pre-amp. Are you saying that it isn't a dedicated LO?

Brian - That would be awesome! Didn't get that detail from Soren but there was a bit of a language barrier at times. Cheers

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #1,308 of 1,423
I settled on a Hugo. I like the Hugo because I can use it as a completely portable dac/amp when I want to, or I can hook it up to the LC at my desk. 

Of course, I rationalized the cost of the Hugo by cancelling my LC, then I re-ordered the LC.... 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #1,309 of 1,423
I settled on a Hugo. I like the Hugo because I can use it as a completely portable dac/amp when I want to, or I can hook it up to the LC at my desk. 

Of course, I rationalized the cost of the Hugo by cancelling my LC, then I re-ordered the LC.... :tongue_smile:

What about the new Chord Mojo? Only $599!

Oct 14, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #1,310 of 1,423
I am amazingly happy with my Hugo. It gives such a natural, laid-back sound. I have been using it a lot on my long-neglected stereo system as well. 

I have never heard any other high-end DACs, though. Has anyone who knows the MBG, DAC-19, or the Yggy also spent time with the Hugo? I'd be very curious to hear how they measure up. 

Oct 14, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #1,311 of 1,423
Picked up a 3 month old Hugo in black for USD$1450. Pretty pleased.

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #1,314 of 1,423
Oct 14, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #1,316 of 1,423
I have no doubt that the Hugo would work wonders with the LC but isn't a $2500 (or whatever) DAC getting a little out of the range of pairing comparable components?  The OP was looking for a DAC at roughly the same price as the LC.  

I bought Gumby which is 2X the cost of the LC and thought I was going way out of line.  It's also much bigger.  So who am I to question the choice of a Hugo?  I'd like a Hugo just because it looks so cool with all the colored lights.  

Might be worth reading Jason Stoddard's chapter that he posted today.  It's all about where we draw the line on audio gear.

post #8032  http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/8025#post_11992815

Oct 14, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #1,317 of 1,423
Well written...now if I could only figure out HOW to do it...

Oct 14, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #1,318 of 1,423
The cut-off for me will be when I get old enough to need hearing aids.  

It seems to me that will make high-end gear somewhat irrelevant.

But you can be sure I will be shopping for some high-end hearing aids.  
darthsmile.gif

Oct 14, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #1,319 of 1,423
Already there, don't need hearing aids yet, but certainly lost high frequencies and such. Just shifts your preferences a bit. :smiley:

Oct 14, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #1,320 of 1,423
  I have no doubt that the Hugo would work wonders with the LC but isn't a $2500 (or whatever) DAC getting a little out of the range of pairing comparable components?  The OP was looking for a DAC at roughly the same price as the LC.  

I bought Gumby which is 2X the cost of the LC and thought I was going way out of line.  It's also much bigger.  So who am I to question the choice of a Hugo?  I'd like a Hugo just because it looks so cool with all the colored lights.  

Might be worth reading Jason Stoddard's chapter that he posted today.  It's all about where we draw the line on audio gear.

post #8032  http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/8025#post_11992815

Granted. I just happened to find a good deal on a used Hugo, and wanted to get people's opinions of it versus the other DACs being discussed here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back