Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Oct 15, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #1,336 of 1,423
I have had a MoJo for a bit and I am scratching my head trying to figure out how this much power and this CLEAN a signal can come from such a little device.
blink.gif

Remarkable.

More later.......

popcorn.gif

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #1,339 of 1,423
hmm but i was told in the official thread that you cant bypass the amp section in the mojo with line out it just turns in to double amping :confused_face(1):

i want to go mojo>darkvoice but not if i cant use the mojo as dac only :triportsad:  

Technically that's true, but the option to lock the output to 3V Line level output is there specifically to send a signal to another amp. The THD of the MoJo is extremely low at 0.00017% so I'm not sure you'd really hear any ill effects from double amping. The output is extremely clean and quiet so I imagine it would work well. I'll report on how well the 'line out' works in my review within the week.

Oct 16, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #1,340 of 1,423

As a Hugo owner / user I tried the Mojo yesterday.

Sounds like a Hugo...very clean and detailed sounding in a very small package

Sound wise its very close to the Hugo in all aspects. All the details are there...Same weight on the Lows. A friend of mine who reviewed it says the mids are more smoother and more present in the Mojo than the Hugo. I didn't hear that given I don't like the sound of the HE400s which I was listening too but having heard it on other amp / dac combos I would say the the 400s with the Mojo is still the best I heard it sound. The highs on the HE400s were meh...and that also had me not listen to it for a long time during my Mojo audition.

The setup was my Note 4 as source connected via micro usb to the Mojo. Using USB Audio Player Pro playing some DSD files and Hifiman HE400s being the headphone.

Changing my previous comment to no gripes...as verified that the Mojo power is the same as the Hugo

Great DAC for the price...very tempting to pair it with the Liquid Carbon :D

Oct 18, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #1,344 of 1,423
I think that I'm finally done. I initially bought the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 to go with the LC. This meets all of the requirements from my initial post except that it is a little large (9"X9").  I will use the DC-1 at work. The XLR output is good for there because most of my really good headphones with balanced cabling are there.  Just for fun, I bought a small, inexpensive R2R DAC (Starting Point Systems Battery DAC).  This DAC is very portable and will be good as a transportable DAC or at home feeding my new Little Dot MK III.  The latest and final DAC acquisition is the Chord Mojo. Haven't received it yet, but even if I don't like it with the LC, it should be a great portable DAC/Amp to use via optical from my AK120 Titan or RWAK100 or via coax from the Fiio X5 II or iBasso DX90.

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #1,345 of 1,423
Not familiar with the Mojo (it seems to have just been released), but, unless you can use it only as an amp, I can't see why you'd want to use it with the AK120 or the RWAK100.

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #1,347 of 1,423
OK, I thought the AK gear's strong point was the dac portion, the amp is what led to the Red Wine mods for output impedance. But, again, have no first hand experience with it, just what I read.

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #1,348 of 1,423
Oct 18, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #1,349 of 1,423
Not arguing the point, just curious, is it different focus (warmth, detail, something like that), that has you connect the AK to a chord, basically using it as a transport?

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #1,350 of 1,423
Not arguing the point, just curious, is it different focus (warmth, detail, something like that), that has you connect the AK to a chord, basically using it as a transport?

First of all, the AK120II by itself is great sound. And I would never shell out that kind of money just to use it as a transport. 

I bought the AK120II first, used it for a long time just by itself, then wanted something portable to drive my larger headphones (Alpha Primes/Ethers). Eventually I settled on the Hugo, which is more than capable of driving the bigger cans, and it has a much better DAC, and it can feed my LC when it comes. 

To me, the Hugo has more natural, smoother, more compelling sound than the AK120II by itself. Hope that answers your question. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back