Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Oct 18, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #1,351 of 1,423
Sure, thanks, just being curious, maybe I'll get to hear some AK and Chord gear at the Stamford meet.

Oct 19, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #1,352 of 1,423
Ordered my liquid carbon last week. I am also looking for a nice transportable (not portable) dac. This one grabbed my attention:

http://www.stoneracoustics.com/EGD

Looks very promising. ESS9018AQ2M based, XLR out, DSD capable, USB powered, compact etc. Not sure when it's available but should be "soon".

Scanspeakman 

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #1,353 of 1,423
  Ordered my liquid carbon last week. I am also looking for a nice transportable (not portable) dac. This one grabbed my attention:

Looks very promising. ESS9018AQ2M based, XLR out, DSD capable, USB powered, compact etc. Not sure when it's available but should be "soon".

Scanspeakman 

Doesn't look too shabby. Do you know the release date and what the expected pricing is? My bad if I missed that info on the website.

The Schiit Bifrost Multibit might be worth a look too if the pricing is competitive, from memory it only has single ended output but with the Liquid Carbon specifically that isn't going to be an issue -- the performance feeding SE and balanced cables into the unit is apparently identical due to the phase splitter on the inputs.

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #1,354 of 1,423
  Doesn't look too shabby. Do you know the release date and what the expected pricing is? My bad if I missed that info on the website.

The Schiit Bifrost Multibit might be worth a look too if the pricing is competitive, from memory it only has single ended output but with the Liquid Carbon specifically that isn't going to be an issue -- the performance feeding SE and balanced cables into the unit is apparently identical due to the phase splitter on the inputs.

I asked the designer via email and it is not definitive so I do not feel at liberty to post that info here. All I can say is "soon" and "a-little-more-then-bifrost-without-multibit-ish". To me it sounds really interesting especially since his UD120 dac already sounds great for its size and price.

Scanspeakman 

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #1,355 of 1,423

Scanspeakman 

Interesting. That does look like a good match for the LC...in looks and specs. Keeping my eye on that one. 
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #1,356 of 1,423

Scanspeakman 

Looks very nice.

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #1,357 of 1,423
Now i'm split, i was leaning towards Emotiva Stealth 1, the shipping cost annoyed me. The stoner acoustics looks extremely interesting, balanced affordable scale-able to a full system and Malaysian company, it'll be great to support a local company. And Chord Mojo, well its a product from Chord, everybody's going gaga over it. I would assume it would pair great with IEMs and it is portable. I'll see the reviews on this 2 product before i make up my mind.

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #1,358 of 1,423
Now i'm split, i was leaning towards Emotiva Stealth 1, the shipping cost annoyed me. The stoner acoustics looks extremely interesting, balanced affordable scale-able to a full system and Malaysian company, it'll be great to support a local company. And Chord Mojo, well its a product from Chord, everybody's going gaga over it. I would assume it would pair great with IEMs and it is portable. I'll see the reviews on this 2 product before i make up my mind.

Mojo drives full sized headphones quite well actually, not just IEMs. It has the exact same amp section as Hugo. There's a brief portion in my review about using it as a DAC to an external amplifier.

Review in my sig, hope this helps. :)

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #1,359 of 1,423
Mojo drives full sized headphones quite well actually, not just IEMs. It has the exact same amp section as Hugo. There's a brief portion in my review about using it as a DAC to an external amplifier.

Review in my sig, hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice review.  Sounds like the Mojo would make a pretty fantastic pairing with the LC based on price size and SQ.

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #1,360 of 1,423
Nice review.  Sounds like the Mojo would make a pretty fantastic pairing with the LC based on price size and SQ.

Thanks Dan! I still prefer the signature of the DAC-19, but man, the Mojo has some chops.

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #1,361 of 1,423
Would the Schitt Bifrost Multibit be a good pairing to use with the LC.
I hadn't considered any of the DACs w/o balanced output. I figured I would ask about the Bifrost anyway.

The chain would be:

Bifrost Multibit (Unbalanced) > Cavalli LC (Balanced) > ETHER

Any suggestions / comments about this (possible future) setup for me.
And how would you evaluate this vs replacing the Bifrost with the Mojo for instance.

Note: This is for my work setup and I don't plan on spending too much for the DAC.

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #1,362 of 1,423
I hadn't considered any of the DACs w/o balanced output. I figured I would ask about the Bifrost anyway.

The chain would be:

And how would you evaluate this vs replacing the Bifrost with the Mojo for instance.

Note: This is for my work setup and I don't plan on spending too much for the DAC.

I think that would be a superb setup.  They will both sound good, to be honest (Bifrost MB and Mojo), but I have a preference for the R2R sound so I'd lean towards the BMB.

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #1,363 of 1,423

The chain would be:

I am very biased, but I plan to spend time with the LC paired with both the Bifrost MB and Gungnir MB. I think the Bifrost MB + LC will be an excellent rig.

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #1,364 of 1,423

Scanspeakman 

EGD is now available.

USD$450. LH Labs already has all of my money, so someone else will have to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back