Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Oct 23, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #1,368 of 1,423
Looks like Emotiva is having a big sale right now.  The DC-1 is $100 off (20%) right now for a total of $399.

http://emotiva.com/products/dacs/electronics/dacs/stealth-dc-1

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #1,370 of 1,423
Great deal but I'm still going to try the mojo first.

This thread needs its mojo back! Full time job keeping up with the Mojo thread, but do we know what input voltage the LC will accept? Mojo has a 3v "fixed line out" mode but Chord also said you can set the volume buttons to both cyan.and get about 2v. Which would be better/safer?

Oct 28, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #1,373 of 1,423
This thread needs its mojo back! Full time job keeping up with the Mojo thread, but do we know what input voltage the LC will accept? Mojo has a 3v "fixed line out" mode but Chord also said you can set the volume buttons to both cyan.and get about 2v. Which would be better/safer?

yeah but you arent getting a true dac output it will be double amped

3 flavours instead of 2

im sure the mojo uses an amp/dac in a single chip similar to sonys smaster hx where the amp is the dac the dac is the amp.

hey i could be wrong feel free to beat me with a stick
tongue.gif

personaly i wouldnt like to double amp on a liquid carbon!

Oct 28, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #1,374 of 1,423

I'll be "double-amping" the output of my Hugo, which I think is the same architecture as the Mojo. 

The amp on these units is so transparent that it really doesn't matter. 

If I'm not mistaken, Dr. Cavalli used a Hugo to feed his Liquid Carbons at audio shows. 

Oct 28, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #1,375 of 1,423
I'll be "double-amping" the output of my Hugo, which I think is the same architecture as the Mojo. 

The amp on these units is so transparent that it really doesn't matter. 

If I'm not mistaken, Dr. Cavalli used a Hugo to feed his Liquid Carbons at audio shows. 

He has at times. Good stuff.

Oct 28, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #1,376 of 1,423
Mojo has lower THD than Hugo (Hugo 0.0004% vs Mojo 0.00017%). There is no amp in the Mojo or Hugo, it's just the analogue section from the DAC and it's very clean.

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #1,378 of 1,423
Mojo has lower THD than Hugo (Hugo 0.0004% vs Mojo 0.00017%). There is no amp in the Mojo or Hugo, it's just the analogue section from the DAC and it's very clean.

No amp in the Hugo or Mojo?  Then why do they call both DAC and Headphone amps...?  Also the Chord electronics site actually touts the power of the amp in the Mojo:

"Inside Mojo is a massively powerful headphone amplifier that will deliver crystal clear audio whether you use in-ear buds or large studio cans, it will even play almost any audio file that you can find, up to 768kHz 32bit, and quad DSD 256."

That is from here:

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/mojo/#nav-features

I am not trying to be rude.  I am just trying to understand your claim, because my knowledge of such technicalities are limited, especially, where you say "it's just the analogue section from the DAC."   Thanks.

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #1,379 of 1,423
I understand the confusion, but it's not a claim, it's just how the devices are designed. The interesting thing about the Hugo and Mojo is the DAC drives headphones directly from the DACs analogue output (Digital to Analogue Converter) and there is no output via a separate headphone amp. This provides the unlimited in signal accuracy. This is very welcomed as the DAC in both units is very accurate and very capable.

Rob Watts, the designer of the units has posted many times regarding the headphone output design and capability from the DAC. You can read Rob's take on the tech behind the Hugo in this post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/1830#post_10459450

Of note is his comments in item # 3 that he lists. In it he says:

3. The lack of DAC RF OP noise means that the analogue section can be made radically simpler as the analogue filter requirements are smaller. Now in analogue terms, making it simpler, with everything else being constant, gives more transparency. You really can hear every solder joint, every passive component, and every active stage. Now Hugo has a single active stage - a very high performance op-amp with a discrete op-stage as a hybrid with a single global feedback path. This arrangement means that you have a single active stage, two resistors and two capacitors in the direct signal path - and that is it. Note: there is no headphone drive. Normal high performance DAC's have 3 op-amp stages, followed by a separate headphone amp. So to conclude - Hugo's analogue path is not a simple couple of op-amps chucked together, it is fundamentally simpler than all other headphone amp solutions.

All that said I am interested in how the Mojo pairs with the Liquid Carbon.

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #1,380 of 1,423

Users who are viewing this thread

Back