Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Oct 13, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #1,291 of 1,423
  So this is a thing:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/754547/the-soekris-r-2r-dac-technical-details/75#post_11986593

I think this might just be the ultimate component for the LC and I believe it will hit all of the original posters list items.

The Soekris is an amazing piece of gear, no doubt about it. Main issue with the current version they are preparing for sale (the DAC1101 we listened to at RMAF - http://www.soekris.dk/dac1101.html) is that you can't bypass the amp section and just tap the very cool R2R DAC. Also it uses USB power, which would also be cool to take out and put in a better power section. 

What would be awesome is if someone could take two of the Soekris R2R DAC modules and build a balanced DAC with a really good power section, maybe even battery. 

Whatever they do (and lots of big-names in the industry were looking at Soren's little surface-mount wonder) my guess is the Soekris will be making waves in the near future. 

Cheers 

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,292 of 1,423
Haven't been any posts here in a while...I thought everyone already found their DAC for the LC! :D

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #1,294 of 1,423
Haven't been any posts here in a while...I thought everyone already found their DAC for the LC!
biggrin.gif

Well I have the DAC 19, just waiting for the LC 
smile.gif

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #1,295 of 1,423
Actually, haven't gotten anything specific for the LC, will probably use what I now use (Pono goes line out, great for bedside, Geek Out Special Edition/Regen out of PC).

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #1,296 of 1,423
I'm probably going to continue on with my Uber Bifrost - maybe upgrade it to one of the new upgrades for it.

But I'm very interested in seeing if I can hear a difference between the Asgard 2 and the LC. If I change anything in the chain, it won't be as good a test. If the LC is an improvement, I might think seriously about upgrading or a different DAC.

Did Alex drop the idea of producing a DAC to pair with it?

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #1,298 of 1,423
  I'm probably going to continue on with my Uber Bifrost - maybe upgrade it to one of the new upgrades for it.

But I'm very interested in seeing if I can hear a difference between the Asgard 2 and the LC. If I change anything in the chain, it won't be as good a test. If the LC is an improvement, I might think seriously about upgrading or a different DAC.

Alex's first priority is to get the Liquid Carbon deliveries out of the way which will realistically take a good 2-3 months from now on, then the other smaller portable amp he's demoing at the shows along with the Carbon. That again may take 2-3 months at the bare minimum. Of course he will be focused on building and selling his existing products too at the same time. Therefore and if he builds a DAC, it will take at least another 6-7 moths at the bare minimum. Plus DACs require different skill sets like programming, UI etc and components like circuit boards, DAC chips et all. SO not only will he have to design and refine a new DAC, he will also have to get new suppliers on board. He basically will have to set up a new supply chain or augment his existing one which will take time to optimize and to iron out quality and supply issues. Realistically it will take at least one year or more to do this. So don't expect a Cavalli DAC before early 2017. If he does manage to ship out a new DAC before next year end, i will eat your DAC!

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #1,299 of 1,423

Alex's first priority is to get the Liquid Carbon deliveries out of the way which [COLOR=FF00AA]will realistically take a good 2-3 months from now on[/COLOR], then the other smaller portable amp he's demoing at the shows along with the Carbon. That again may take 2-3 months at the bare minimum. Of course he will be focused on building and selling his existing products too at the same time. Therefore and if he builds a DAC, it will take at least another 6-7 moths at the bare minimum. Plus DACs require different skill sets like programming, UI etc and components like circuit boards, DAC chips et all. SO not only will he have to design and refine a new DAC, he will also have to get new suppliers on board. He basically will have to set up a new supply chain or augment his existing one which will take time to optimize and to iron out quality and supply issues. Realistically it will take at least one year or more to do this. So don't expect a Cavalli DAC before early 2017. If he does manage to ship out a new DAC before next year end, i will eat your DAC!

Is that so? Hadn't read any expected release updates here in a while. So, we're talking early 2016, sounds like...

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #1,300 of 1,423
Is that so? Hadn't read any expected release updates here in a while. So, we're talking early 2016, sounds like...

I would say that it's totally speculation at this point.

While I think the above speculation is reasonable, on the contrary Alex could have nearly all 500 units ready to start shipping in bulk by now, too.

Who knows? Only Alex at this stage. :)

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #1,301 of 1,423
  I would say that it's totally speculation at this point.

While I think the above speculation is reasonable, on the contrary Alex could have nearly all 500 units ready to start shipping in bulk by now, too.

Who knows? Only Alex at this stage. :)

It's over a week-old data at this point, but at RMAF/CanJam Alex said that the boards are all ready, it's the casework and a few other things that were being a pain at this point. He's a bit captive to his suppliers for such a small run of products, but he told me (and I believed him) that he's doing all he can to get the LC's out quickly, but that he won't sacrifice quality in the process. Totally trust Alex to do the right thing. Cheers 

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #1,302 of 1,423
  It's over a week-old data at this point, but at RMAF/CanJam Alex said that the boards are all ready, it's the casework and a few other things that were being a pain at this point. He's a bit captive to his suppliers for such a small run of products, but he told me (and I believed him) that he's doing all he can to get the LC's out quickly, but that he won't sacrifice quality in the process. Totally trust Alex to do the right thing. Cheers 

Right.

Thanks for letting us know. Hoping it wont be too much longer now. :)

I am hoping the LC can curb my interests enough, otherwise my wallet is going to take a huge pounding when I decide I have to order the HeadAmp GS-X MK II.

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #1,303 of 1,423
I will use my GMB with the Liquid carbon, till I have payed of my recent purchases. I am still mad at myself for spending money so spontaneously. I am looking forward to hearing peoples impressions on what dacs they will use with the Liquid Carbon.

Oct 13, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #1,305 of 1,423
As I have said before, good things come to those who wait, and thus I can wait to the Liquid Carbon meets the Alex's rigorous standards.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back