Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Jul 24, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #571 of 1,423
  Originally Posted by vhsownsbeta

ph34r.gif

There he is...

[Reaches for the sodium pentothal]
I just happen to own a WA7 with EH gold pin upgrade tubes and a WA7tp power supply.  And the answer to your question is yes.

Lol, I'm immune.  Now Schiit pants on the other hand...

You are assuming that the Sodium Pentothal is for you.....

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #572 of 1,423
Cross posting this in here in case anyone isn't following both threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/761088/new-cavalli-audios-liquid-carbon-a-599-cavalli-amp/2385#post_11784983

Jul 24, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #573 of 1,423
My Infinity is the Geek Pulse X Infinity, not the V2 or V2+. Different deal in getting one of those. 

And yes, I did wait more than a year, but got a great deal on a kick-a** piece of gear. 

Not for everyone (crowd-funding/crowd-sourcing will drive many people crazy) but if you have the patience and you know who to back/support, then it can be a blast.  

Cheers 

Geek stuff sounds decent but in no way justified the exorbant wait time (there still not done shipping out the pulse almost 2 years later). I'm tired of the backers acting like the stuff is infalable. Twice at meets I tried to listen to the pulse the first time it didn't turn on the second time the music was gainy then it died. I went to a dealer and they had a da Vinci so I decided to get a listen but the sales rep told me they were having driver issues. Ten minutes later I just let. Even the newer projects have issue some users are saying that there v2 are falling apart.

You like your pulse that's cool but to most betting on light harmonic is a fools bet.

Jul 24, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #574 of 1,423
I bought myself a GO 450 recently to use as an interim DAC for my LC, I was really impressed with what that little thing was capable of, it really had some poke for such a small device and the class a amp inside gave a very musical warm signature to my headphones however an offer too good to refuse on an Audiolab Q-DAC arose this week so I've returned my GO and have gone with the Audiolab, it's bigger than I wanted but it has some great spec and 7 different digital filters to experiment with as well as more digital inputs. One negative I will say about the GO is that is a power hungry beast! It ate through my OnePlus One battery like it was going out of fashion and my Sony Z3 tablet refused to power it as it would suck up to much current, I do have a power bank but all of the cables plus the powerbank it all starts getting a bit messy / too many cables etc.

FYI if you are UK based you can pick up an Audiolab Q-DAC at moment for £200 if that helps anyone.

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #575 of 1,423
Geek stuff sounds decent but in no way justified the exorbant wait time (there still not done shipping out the pulse almost 2 years later). I'm tired of the backers acting like the stuff is infalable. Twice at meets I tried to listen to the pulse the first time it didn't turn on the second time the music was gainy then it died. I went to a dealer and they had a da Vinci so I decided to get a listen but the sales rep told me they were having driver issues. Ten minutes later I just let. Even the newer projects have issue some users are saying that there v2 are falling apart.

You like your pulse that's cool but to most betting on light harmonic is a fools bet.

Infallable? Ha! Not hardly.

Long waits for those of us that were earlier backers? Heck yes.

Fools bet? That really depends on the fool.

Good sounding products? Definitely.

Cheers

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #576 of 1,423
Jul 24, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #578 of 1,423
I bought myself a GO 450 recently to use as an interim DAC for my LC, I was really impressed with what that little thing was capable of, it really had some poke for such a small device and the class a amp inside gave a very musical warm signature to my headphones however an offer too good to refuse on an Audiolab Q-DAC arose this week so I've returned my GO and have gone with the Audiolab, it's bigger than I wanted but it has some great spec and 7 different digital filters to experiment with as well as more digital inputs. One negative I will say about the GO is that is a power hungry beast! It ate through my OnePlus One battery like it was going out of fashion and my Sony Z3 tablet refused to power it as it would suck up to much current, I do have a power bank but all of the cables plus the powerbank it all starts getting a bit messy / too many cables etc.

FYI if you are UK based you can pick up an Audiolab Q-DAC at moment for £200 if that helps anyone.

They're a Royal PIA, the waits are ridiculous, but, my Geek Out Special Edition I'd just great sounding...Haven't read anyone who thought otherwise.
Was using it as line out into MicroZOTL 2, to HEK...was heavenly, but then hooked to my analog system, stuck there since!

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #580 of 1,423
We've established that it doesn't have to be balanced....so why not?  Has anybody here tried it?  I can recall reviews on What Hi-Fi that if I recall said the Arcam irDac buried it--of course it's more expensive and it's their 2015 best product of the year in that price range.

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #581 of 1,423
Trying the Apogee Groove now. Surprisingly, it actually drives the HD650 very well and sounds very good. Gets pretty hot but it's so small that it may be a non issue if set atop the LC.

Initial impression is it sounds smoother and has more low end compared to the iDSD Micro. The Micro clearly has a sharper roll-off and a bit more detail. Still doing A/B comparisons.

Caution: wouldn't recommend the Groove if you only have Windows. It doesn't auto install to 96Khz like some other DACs and you MUST register to get the driver. Wouldn't be a giant issue if Apogee's site was secure but it's not ( I said screw that; register at your own risk). I'm driverless for the moment and using an old Hackintosh. The Groove may go back just for Apogee being jerks with their software.

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #582 of 1,423
I like my iDSD Micro but would be willing to give the Groove a try.  I use their JAM and Mic and they are both awesome performers with which I make great recordings.  They are essentially home user ADCs from a prograde ADC company.  Can't say good enough things about them.

Of course it's another Sabre Dac. 
smile_phones.gif

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #583 of 1,423
  I like my iDSD Micro but would be willing to give the Groove a try.  I use their JAM and Mic and they are both awesome performers with which I make great recordings.  They are essentially home user ADCs from a prograde ADC company.  Can't say good enough things about them.

Of course it's another Sabre Dac. 
smile_phones.gif

They're not off to good start with me.

Chatted with their tech support and the rep didn't even know what I was talking about when I said their site is not secure.

Registration SHOULD NOT be a requirement for software to use any product no matter the manufacturer. Not even sure that's legal in the U.S.

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #585 of 1,423

True. The Groove does sound pretty good but, after some more a/b listening, it can't quite match the iDSD Micro's soundstage and detail.

Another strength of the Micro is its filter. Going from bit-perfect to minimum phase smoothed out the sound a bit. The Micro is almost like several DACs in one with all its switches.

Groove is a tiny dac/amp that can still drive hungry headphones. Can't imagine anything else its size that is capable of that.

Either should pair ok with the LC but the Micro has a lot more tweaks available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back