Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Jul 25, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #588 of 1,423
We've established that it doesn't have to be balanced....so why not?  Has anybody here tried it?  I can recall reviews on What Hi-Fi that if I recall said the Arcam irDac buried it--of course it's more expensive and it's their 2015 best product of the year in that price range.

If I remember the article I believe that they stated the only issue with the Director was its musicality. Which is odd because most other reviews that I have seen stated that it didn't lack in that area.

Regardless I am wondering if anything will even come close in the new reduced close out price range, perhaps the new idsd micro idac2? If the idac2's output wasn't variable I would try it, I am thinking I should order the Director.

So for those of you idsd fan boys with the variable lineout output where should the pot be kept for best sound quality?

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #590 of 1,423
  What is your choice of amp for HD650s?
how do u compare liquid carbon and WA8 prototype(for hd650s only/specially)??

Currently its the HiFi-M8, but I do have a Liquid Carbon on the way.  The WA8 is awesome (better then the M8), if battery powered transportable is what you're after.  Its more dynamic in 3 tube mode, and has great power to noise. 

I'm after a small desktop setup now, so a DAC is next, then a tube amp next year hopefully.

But alas I haven't heard the LC yet to compare...

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #591 of 1,423

Currently its the HiFi-M8, but I do have a Liquid Carbon on the way.  The WA8 is awesome (better then the M8), if battery powered transportable is what you're after.  Its more dynamic in 3 tube mode, and has great power to noise. 

I'm after a small desktop setup now, so a DAC is next, then a tube amp next year hopefully.

The CDM is a portable/transportable dac and dual tube amp:
http://www.aloaudio.com/amplifiers/continental-dual-mono

Expensive but could equal the cost of separate components.

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #592 of 1,423

Yes, those two truly competitors.  And very similar in cost.

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #594 of 1,423

Yeah, I forgot the WA8 has a built-in usb dac.

It definitely got my attention but no balanced out like the CDM (have a hard time going SE only after getting a Ponoplayer).

Any release date yet for the WA8?

In the WA8 thread, HifiGuy mentioned an October-ish release.  But I think its more an "its ready when its ready".  They are trying a new DAC section. 

....anyways back to DAC talk for the LC.  Anyone else anxious to see what Schiit has coming August 15th?

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #595 of 1,423
Jul 25, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #596 of 1,423
In the WA8 thread, HifiGuy mentioned an October-ish release.  But I think its more an "its ready when its ready".  They are trying a new DAC section. 

....anyways back to DAC talk for the LC.  Anyone else anxious to see what Schiit has coming August 15th?

Yes! I'm hoping my schedule will allow me to get to SOCal for the event.

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #597 of 1,423

And the CDM is an awesome DAC/amp. Drives both my K10's and LCD-3's with power and finesse. 

Jul 25, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #598 of 1,423

Have the M8, prefer other great...Geek Out Special Edition much better sounding imo (but usb powered), balanced Pono better sounding as well (but it is a DAP). For a bit more oomph, go Pono line out into MicroZOTL2 or into Ray Samuels HR-2. M8 does have convenience factors over ask these others, though. LC may change all of the above...

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #600 of 1,423
Have the M8, prefer other great...Geek Out Special Edition much better sounding imo (but usb powered), balanced Pono better sounding as well (but it is a DAP). For a bit more oomph, go Pono line out into MicroZOTL2 or into Ray Samuels HR-2. M8 does have convenience factors over ask these others, though. LC may change all of the above...

I will definitely be trying the LC with my Pono as a balanced source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back