Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Jul 23, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #557 of 1,423

Would that be the next Gungnir by any chance?

Not 100% sure.  Heard rumblings of an upgraded Gungnir which would be great.  But also heard of maybe a new smaller balanced DAC, and that would also be swell.

Warren knows, but the jerk ball ain't spillin' the beans....

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #559 of 1,423
Emotiva has two new small DACs--The Big Ego and Little Ego. Not balanced, but they may come close to delivering DC-1 level quality in a stripped down, small package. Prices very competitive.

http://emotiva.com/products/dacs/dacs/big-ego

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #560 of 1,423

Not 100% sure.  Heard rumblings of an upgraded Gungnir which would be great.  But also heard of maybe a new smaller balanced DAC, and that would also be swell.

Warren knows, but the jerk ball ain't spillin' the beans....

This kind of comment just feeds @warrenpchi's evil and makes him more powerful.  You have to act all nonchalant if you want him to say anything.  "Oh something new that you know about?  That's cool.  I'm just gonna go back to this game of Candy Crush..."

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #561 of 1,423

I like that its usb powered, balanced, and relatively small (a little bigger than the LC). The screen looks good (and useful) too.

Already confirmed with the manufacturer that it'll be below $500 (hopefully much lower than that). Does DSD too.

Did you get the dimensions from the manufacturer? I was under the impression from photos that it might be slightly smaller, though thicker, than the LC.

I was hoping that it will be priced at $200-300. At close to $500, there are many other reputable balanced DAC, so it's a really crowded field for the EGD to enter. I would have gotten the Emotiva DC-1 at $450 sale price although shipping wise, the EGD will be cheaper. 

Did you get a rough ETA from the manufacturer too? I was planning to use the EGD as a stop-gap while waiting for a r2r Bifrost to be available.

Emotiva has two new small DACs--The Big Ego and Little Ego. Not balanced, but they may come close to delivering DC-1 level quality in a stripped down, small package. Prices very competitive.

http://emotiva.com/products/dacs/dacs/big-ego

I think many, especially those of us who are pairing the DC-1 with the LC has no need for the headphone amp. So if the Big/Little Ego is a DC-1 with just the DAC section, that is very welcome!

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #562 of 1,423

did u receive your HRT Music Streamer HD...???
how does it pair with Liquid Carbon?

Got it, tried it, spent a week troubleshooting it, sent it back.

No one has a retail LC yet (wish I had a prototype or review model) so, unfortunately, unable to test the Streamer HD with it.

Looking at the Stoner Acoustics EGD now but it won't be available until after the LC is released.
http://www.stoneracoustics.com/EGD

Will likely use my iDSD Micro with the LC once it arrives. Not sure a balanced DAC will make much difference though after reading what Alex posted about the LC's internal phase splitter.

sorry to hear that ur hrt musicstreamer hd didnt work out for u
have heard good things about it
no idea about EGD but iDSD Micro is also great.

don't mean to derail this thread but
could a good dac and liquid carbon combo best out wooaudio wa7 fireflies...it has dac+amp+linear power supply for about $1400??
blink.gif

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #563 of 1,423

Like the Geek stuff on paper but keep hearing about delays and some pyramid scheme to get the best ones. No time for that.

No pyramid scheme - just delays due to their approach of crowd-designing. 

Stuff they've delivered is really very good. My Geek Pulse X Infinity is amazing. 

Cheers 

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #564 of 1,423

could a good dac and liquid carbon combo best out wooaudio wa7 fireflies...it has dac+amp+linear power supply for about $1400??
blink.gif

Only hear good things about Woo Audio. If I had the loot would've probably tried some of their stuff by now.

So I have no idea if any LC combo would best a WA7 but a couple of head-fiers (with well-seasoned ears) say the LC is the best amp they've heard under $2000.

No pyramid scheme - just delays due to their approach of crowd-designing. 

Stuff they've delivered is really very good. My Geek Pulse X Infinity is amazing. 

Cheers 

I was looking at the specs of the Infinity+ (I think) only to find that you can't just buy one. Have to refer like 4 friends (or something) to qualify for an upgrade to that one.

Not to mention how many people say they're still waiting for their Geek after more than a year. Specs and good sound don't mean much if you can't actually get one.

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #565 of 1,423

Only hear good things about Woo Audio. If I had the loot would've probably tried some of their stuff by now.

So I have no idea if any LC combo would best a WA7 but a couple of head-fiers (with well-seasoned ears) say the LC is the best amp they've heard under $2000.

I was looking at the specs of the Infinity+ (I think) only to find that you can't just buy one. Have to refer like 4 friends (or something) to qualify for an upgrade to that one.

Not to mention how many people say they're still waiting for their Geek after more than a year. Specs and good sound don't mean much if you can't actually get one.

My Infinity is the Geek Pulse X Infinity, not the V2 or V2+. Different deal in getting one of those. 

And yes, I did wait more than a year, but got a great deal on a kick-a** piece of gear. 

Not for everyone (crowd-funding/crowd-sourcing will drive many people crazy) but if you have the patience and you know who to back/support, then it can be a blast.  

Cheers 

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #566 of 1,423
ph34r.gif

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #568 of 1,423

blink.gif

I'm personally underwhelmed by the Fireflies.  Maybe the most beautiful tube amp ever, but I personally think the WA8 prototype out shined the WA7 while being in a smaller package (and similar estimated price point)

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #569 of 1,423
Jul 24, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #570 of 1,423
I'm going to make a suggestion I haven't seen mentioned. The Denon DA-10 is an ampl/dac that I've used a bit...I use my Pono for most of my portable listening, so don't use it all that much (my office blocks streaming, but for a few weeks something went "wrong" and I was able to stream TIDAL and WFMU.ORG until someone figured it out and blocked it again. I was using an iPad 3 LOD to the Denon, then line out to a good Kloss clock radio I use, which sounded really nice). Anyway, don't love the amp portion of the Denon, but I think the DA is really good, it's small, not TOO expensive, works with a variety of inputs (it's not balanced). Just a thought...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back