Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Jul 23, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #541 of 1,423
  I also ordered a HRT Music Streamer HD which has balanced XLR outputs.

The dac and amp will be stacked with their inputs and outputs close together.

Now I need to get some standard XLR cables. Want to reduce extra cabling but can't decide what length to get (too short would be unusable).

Would a pair of 6-inch cables be too short?

did u receive your HRT Music Streamer HD...???
how does it pair with Liquid Carbon?

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #542 of 1,423

did u receive your HRT Music Streamer HD...???
how does it pair with Liquid Carbon?

Got it, tried it, spent a week troubleshooting it, sent it back.

No one has a retail LC yet (wish I had a prototype or review model) so, unfortunately, unable to test the Streamer HD with it.

Looking at the Stoner Acoustics EGD now but it won't be available until after the LC is released.
http://www.stoneracoustics.com/EGD

Will likely use my iDSD Micro with the LC once it arrives. Not sure a balanced DAC will make much difference though after reading what Alex posted about the LC's internal phase splitter.

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #543 of 1,423
Think I'll start a new thread..."finding power cords and cables for the LC". That's what I'll need next. :smiley:

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #544 of 1,423

No one has a retail LC yet (wish I had a prototype or review model) so, unfortunately, unable to test the Streamer HD with it.

Looking at the Stoner Acoustics EGD now but it won't be available until after the LC is released.

Will likely use my iDSD Micro with the LC once it arrives. Not sure a balanced DAC will make much difference though after reading what Alex posted about the LC's internal phase splitter.

EGD looks really promising. If I didn't have a GO V2SE incoming I would definitely be hanging out for that...

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #546 of 1,423

Stoner doesn't show a price, do you know what retail will be?

I have the ifi Micro iDSD and am exceedingly impressed with it. I may keep using it for a while when the LC I've ordered arrives.  I am for sure going to wait for Schiit's show at which 3 new products are introduced.  It could be that [redacted] is just what I'm looking for....

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #547 of 1,423

EGD looks really promising. If I didn't have a GO V2SE incoming I would definitely be hanging out for that...

I like that its usb powered, balanced, and relatively small (a little bigger than the LC). The screen looks good (and useful) too.

Already confirmed with the manufacturer that it'll be below $500 (hopefully much lower than that). Does DSD too.

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #548 of 1,423

Please no. Already have a good, cheap 14awg monoprice one.

Still trying to avoid buying a more expensive power cord. Keep thinking its not worth the 10%+ of the LC's price.

or 50% .. or more if you go high end... I just have a real hard time understanding or believing  that the sound improvement is noticeable, let alone significant.
Best part of this is that you are not compelled to buy anything. Be rational, hang in there.

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #551 of 1,423
Sweet. Looking forward to it. I canceled all of my geek pre orders, I'm assuming the egd will have a true lineout unlike the geekout lines?

From the pics I only see dual XLR outs on the EGD so not sure if it'll have a fixed line out mode but there is a volume control and also L/R balance and inversion.

Like the Geek stuff on paper but keep hearing about delays and some pyramid scheme to get the best ones. No time for that.

Looks like I may be trying the Apogee Groove as well. Not balanced and I really shouldn't have ordered it but was too good a deal to pass up for $500 with the HD650. Wanna try out the Groove's current drive and I've yet to try the famous 650.
http://www.adorama.com/SEHD650F.html?emailprice=t&utm_term=wCLVA-1Hey333QFRSkUANReBUkXzHm35yXKiz80&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflaid62905&cvosrc=affiliate.62905

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #553 of 1,423

Its a bit of a bummer that it seems its going to be buss powered.  I want my next DAC to be able to be fed by computer or iPad...

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #554 of 1,423

Its a bit of a bummer that it seems its going to be buss powered.  I want my next DAC to be able to be fed by computer or iPad...

I prefer it as long as it works properly with that 500ma. One less cable to connect. Plus the real power will be going through the LC anyway.

You could always use a powered usb hub if needed.

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #555 of 1,423
August 15th may bring something from Schiit that would be perfect for the Liquid Carbon anyways....

I'm content just feeding it with my HiFi-M8 till I can sort all this new stuff coming out (and sell some stuff to fund it too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back