Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Jul 9, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #511 of 1,423
I'm liking my new (to me) Audio-GD Dac-19, 10th anniversary edition. A significant change and upgrade over the Dac in my Oppo HA-1. The difference is much more profound than I expected. I had compared the Bifrost Uber and the HA-1 Dac at great length and found minimal, minuscule differences. The Dac-19 to HA-1 Dac differences are readily apparent.

The Dac 19 is big, single ended and almost $900 new. It sure sounds great though. Now just waiting on the carbon…

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #512 of 1,423
I'm liking my new (to me) Audio-GD Dac-19, 10th anniversary edition. A significant change and upgrade over the Dac in my Oppo HA-1. The difference is much more profound than I expected. I had compared the Bifrost Uber and the HA-1 Dac at great length and found minimal, minuscule differences. The Dac-19 to HA-1 Dac differences are readily apparent.

The Dac 19 is big, single ended and almost $900 new. It sure sounds great though. Now just waiting on the carbon…

I'm a big fan of the DAC-19 and I did recommend it about 30 pages back so I'm glad others are liking it too.  

FYI, it's an R2R DAC, which is why it sounds so different from the Bifrost and the HA-1.  It uses a completely different technology to convert the digital signal into analog and the biggest advantage is the natural tonality.  It's one of those things that you really have to hear to believe; we are so used to Delta-Sigma DAC's these days that we don't even realize how unnatural the treble sounds.

Obviously there are advantages to D-S DAC's as well (more "airy" treble from the artificially enhanced treble, more microdetails).  One of the reasons that so many people love the Yggy is that is offers the best of both worlds.  But if you're spending under $2300, you pretty much have to choose between the pros and cons of both.  Me personally, I think R2R gives a better overall sound for the money spent.

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #513 of 1,423
Had this posted this in the LC thread but it should be here:

I just got the HRT Music Streamer HD with balanced xlr outputs.

So far I've run the rca outs to my desktop Aego M speakers. The Streamer HD made my Xonar Essence ST card sound like motherboard audio! Easy setup too: just plug n play on usb 1.0 setting; no driver needed (will install it for 192khz later).

Gonna try some a/b comparisons to the iDSD Micro's dac (via rca out) to see how good the HRT really is. But so far, I'm blown away.

Can't wait for the LC to arrive.

Jul 11, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #514 of 1,423
Has anyone heard the Gustard DAC-X9?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUSTARD-DAC-X9-High-End-DAC-Dual-WM8741-XMOS-USB-support-DSD-384K-32BIT-BLACK-/111163087204?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e1d61964

Dual Wolfson 8741 and balanced out. It's been said it's a replica of the Rein X3 (Similar to the Valab DAC-X). Both the Rein X3 and the Valab DAC-X have some decent reviews.

For people who have the DAC-X12, do you guys think it's bright? I currently use the Oppo HA-1 and although it has balanced outs, what I don't like is the fact that it is a very bright DAC. 

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #515 of 1,423
  Has anyone heard the Gustard DAC-X9?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUSTARD-DAC-X9-High-End-DAC-Dual-WM8741-XMOS-USB-support-DSD-384K-32BIT-BLACK-/111163087204?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e1d61964

Dual Wolfson 8741 and balanced out. It's been said it's a replica of the Rein X3 (Similar to the Valab DAC-X). Both the Rein X3 and the Valab DAC-X have some decent reviews.

For people who have the DAC-X12, do you guys think it's bright? I currently use the Oppo HA-1 and although it has balanced outs, what I don't like is the fact that it is a very bright DAC. 

The dual Wolfson in there is definitely going to be a bit warmer and mid-forward than the Sabre in the X12.  You will prbably lose a bit of that micro-detail in favor of more musicality.  What headphone are you pairing it with?  

That's definitely a decent price for a balanced DAC and the XMOS interface means compatibility will be no problem.  

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #516 of 1,423

The dual Wolfson in there is definitely going to be a bit warmer and mid-forward than the Sabre in the X12.  You will prbably lose a bit of that micro-detail in favor of more musicality.  What headphone are you pairing it with?  

That's definitely a decent price for a balanced DAC and the XMOS interface means compatibility will be no problem.  

going to be pairing it with the HE-560 with the Gustard H10 amp.

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #517 of 1,423
Finally made the decision to go to the end of the line and pulled the trigger on a used Auralic Vega.  Just waited on the right one at the right price.  It will ship tomorrow and be here in a few days.  For the time being it will replace the Gustard X12 pairing with the Gustard H10 and LCD-X.  For now that puts me 2/3 of the way to the end of the line.  If it all sounds as good in my bedroom as this combo(LC and Vega) sounded at the Nashville meet I will be one happy puppy.  Now if I can just keep the visions of that damn Woo WA-5 from dancing through my brain I will be set for a good long time. Come on August!
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #518 of 1,423

going to be pairing it with the HE-560 with the Gustard H10 amp.

I know some folks who are big fans of the warmer Wolfson sound with the HE-560.  Some are a bit sensitive to the treble on the HE-560 and want just a touch of warmth from the Wolfson to smooth it out.  I personally prefer the more neutral and detailed Sabre because I don't find the HE-560 too bright; I like the details it brings out.  I figure if I wanted something warmer, I'd just get a PM-2 or LCD-2f (ah, who am I kidding, the PM-2 walks all over the LCD-2f!).

Anyhow, if you want that sound, it seems like a pretty solid choice with that balanced output.  I believe the NFB-10.32 is similar but it comes with an amp you won't use so this seems like a good alternative.  Cheaper too, IIRC.

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #519 of 1,423
I've been listening through my new to me DAC-19 (thanks @bimmer100) into the amp section of myself HA-1 balanced out to the PM-1's. All I can say is very nice, can't wait for the Liquid Carbon!

Funny, I'd ignored the PM-1 for a while, and almost sold them. Pretty glad the deal fell apart. I'm really enjoying them at the moment.

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #520 of 1,423

I know some folks who are big fans of the warmer Wolfson sound with the HE-560.  Some are a bit sensitive to the treble on the HE-560 and want just a touch of warmth from the Wolfson to smooth it out.  I personally prefer the more neutral and detailed Sabre because I don't find the HE-560 too bright; I like the details it brings out.  I figure if I wanted something warmer, I'd just get a PM-2 or LCD-2f (ah, who am I kidding, the PM-2 walks all over the LCD-2f!).

Anyhow, if you want that sound, it seems like a pretty solid choice with that balanced output.  I believe the NFB-10.32 is similar but it comes with an amp you won't use so this seems like a good alternative.  Cheaper too, IIRC.

Im one of those! The treble seems to be badly recorded on electronic music which hurts my ears on a bright DAC as the HA-1. Im thinking if the DAC-X9 would be any better than the Dual Wolfson chips in an NFB-15 for example or the 10.33.

On the other hand, I found the PM2 very boring and laid back for my liking. I think we are aiming at different things, you prefer a bright DAC with a laid back phone, while I like the bright 560 with a more warmer source! :)

Quote:
I've been listening through my new to me DAC-19 (thanks @bimmer100) into the amp section of myself HA-1 balanced out to the PM-1's. All I can say is very nice, can't wait for the Liquid Carbon!

Funny, I'd ignored the PM-1 for a while, and almost sold them. Pretty glad the deal fell apart. I'm really enjoying them at the moment.

How do you like the HA-1 as an amp with the DAC-19 compared to using the HA-1 as a dac and amp? 

I currently use the HA-1 as a DAC/AMP but I find the Dac to be too bright. I've also used the HA-1 as only a DAC out to the H10 with similar results. Which is why Im looking for a warmer DAC!

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #521 of 1,423
I kind of found the same thing aamefford. Going from Bifrost Uber to Theta R2R was a major shocker and moment of musical nirvana for the first time. Glad that there is now an alternative to the increasingly rare vintage R2Rs

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #522 of 1,423
I'm going to be using my new Geek Pulse X Infinity as the DAC with my LC. We'll see how the amp inside the Pulse fares against Alex's magic in the LC!

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #523 of 1,423
  I'm going to be using my new Geek Pulse X Infinity as the DAC with my LC. We'll see how the amp inside the Pulse fares against Alex's magic in the LC!

Have you gotten it yet?

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #524 of 1,423

Have you gotten it yet?

Yes! Got it in the original chassis, and it's a few days burned-in. Sounding really good. Just need a good balanced cable now. Will be getting my Moon Silver Dragon V3 reterminated to 4-pin XLR. I also have a Norne 4-pin XLR to 2.5mm TRRS adapter on order so I can listen to my K10's using my balanced ALO cable that I use with the CDM. 

Really good stuff so far. 

Jul 14, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #525 of 1,423
How do you like the HA-1 as an amp with the DAC-19 compared to using the HA-1 as a dac and amp? 

I currently use the HA-1 as a DAC/AMP but I find the Dac to be too bright. I've also used the HA-1 as only a DAC out to the H10 with similar results. Which is why Im looking for a warmer DAC!

I bounced back and forth for a day. The bass depth, definition and extension of the DAC-19, plus the tone and timbre improvement over the HA-1 won me over. I don't think the HA-1 is bright, so much as it lacks bass, and has a kind of artificial and brittle treble. It has better or exaggerated detail retrieval as compared to the DAC-19. I don't dislike the HA-1 dac but I do like the DAC-19 better. I kind of wonder how much of the DAC-19 sound is accurate reproduction and how much is DSP providing a desired signature.
The HA-1 amp section is excellent IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back