Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Jul 7, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #496 of 1,423
Can anyone tell me where I can read about this trickle down gungnir dac?

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #497 of 1,423

I'm debating between the "trickle down" Gungnir, or the Matrix X-Sabre.  I want a profile closer to the LC then the Yggy (not that I have Yggy money).  But if I had $2500 to spend, Yggy way over a Hugo....

I originally thought about a Gungnir as a choice.  I heard both the Gungnir and Yggy at the Nashville meet.  Though I was reassured by several people the the large amounts of heat generated by these two pieces should not be a concern, I can't help thinking that much heat can't be a good thing.  Those things are virtual ovens.  That plus a couple other things have crossed Schiit off my list.  Probably going the the end of the line with the Vega.

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #499 of 1,423
Why not a NAD M51 discounted in Aus at $999 at Audio Trends. Class A recommendation Absolute Sound mag and Stereophile. All your criteria met.

Where? Went to the web site... not there. Most pricing is right at $2K

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #500 of 1,423
Whatever happened to the Hegel ? At your price range. Check out the reviews!

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #501 of 1,423
I originally thought about a Gungnir as a choice.  I heard both the Gungnir and Yggy at the Nashville meet.  Though I was reassured by several people the the large amounts of heat generated by these two pieces should not be a concern, I can't help thinking that much heat can't be a good thing.  Those things are virtual ovens.  That plus a couple other things have crossed Schiit off my list.  Probably going the the end of the line with the Vega.

Having heard both the schiit and aurilic gear based on the quality of sound I feel you'll regret that decision if you like detail and sounstage

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #502 of 1,423
Delete

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #503 of 1,423
Having heard both the schiit and aurilic gear based on the quality of sound I feel you'll regret that decision if you like detail and sounstage

I auditioned the Ether at the same table thru the LC/Vega then the Rag/Yggy back and forth for almost an hour. I also used my LCD-2f and Alpha Primes.  I found the Rag/Yggy to be overly bright and slightly insubstantial compared to the LC/Vega combo.  I also listened to a Mjolnir/Gungnir stack at the same meet.  I will freely admit I could hear a difference but the law of diminishing returns reared it's ugly head as a $2000 upgrade was not to be found in my ears.  I only heard the difference when listening through a highly upgraded Woo WA-5.  Now that was a whole different universe!

Jul 8, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #505 of 1,423
I'm a little late to the party here, but @DigitalFreak, you know the Hugo has lossless bluetooth built-in right?  You might consider tracking down a used Hugo for $2k, which makes for probably the most inexpensive solution suggested yet given the price of the 2Qute.  I believe Frank mentioned selling his Hugo a few weeks back...

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #507 of 1,423

It figures... too good a price. I hit the site as soon as I read your post. Sorry I missed it.
Life goes on...
Thanks for checking!

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #508 of 1,423
  Only four months to go to find the perfect DAC to complement the new Cavalli Liquid Carbon amp. My own personal wishlist:

1. Transportable (maybe even portable). No bigger than the Liquid Carbon
2. Balanced output. Dual 3-pin XLR would be best, but in a pinch, any balanced output will do
3. USB input
4. Coax input (to use with Fiio DAPs)
5. Optical input (to use with A&K DAPs)
6. Under $1000. Under $600 would be even better
7. Personally, I am ambivalent about DSD (I have some and use the AK240 for it). YMMV

I have lots of good DAPs and several good DAC/AMP combos, but very little experience with stand-alone DACs other than the SCHIIT Modi.

So, I need your help guys. We only have 4 months!

After looking around a TON (and placing an order myself) the Emotiva DC-1 will probably be your best bet to match all of those. The only other one that isn't out yet that may match this that I've found is the Stoner Acoustics EGD.

I'm getting an Emotiva DC-1 until I save up for an Yggdrasil and use a Geek Out V2 for transportability.

And for closer in similar size but for a much higher price and unbalanced go for the Chord Hugo

I also plan to compare Geek Out V2, Chord Hugo and DC-1 when I have the first two and borrow my friends Hugo.

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #509 of 1,423

After looking around a TON (and placing an order myself) the Emotiva DC-1 will probably be your best bet to match all of those. The only other one that isn't out yet that may match this that I've found is the Stoner Acoustics EGD.

I'm getting an Emotiva DC-1 until I save up for an Yggdrasil and use a Geek Out V2 for transportability.

And for closer in similar size but for a much higher price and unbalanced go for the Chord Hugo

I also plan to compare Geek Out V2, Chord Hugo and DC-1 when I have the first two and borrow my friends Hugo.

I did buy a DC-1 a month ago. Maybe not my end-game DAC, but for now it's a good fit. All the inputs that I need and a remote that you can drive nails with. Oh yeah, it sounds good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back