Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Jun 11, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #362 of 1,423
  Anyone here consider the PS Audio Sprout? (Seems to fall under the same size dimensions as the LC) Any comparisons of the DAC in the PS Audio Sprout to Emotiva DC-1?

Have read mixed reviews on the Sprout, although have not heard it personally. Also it's a lot more than a DAC so not sure how much they focused on that element of the system. Anyone here have primary experience with it? Cheers

It's currently on Massdrop.  The headphone.guru review was very positive but I also agree that it's an AIO with a speaker amp included so I wonder at how much quality we can expect from the just DAC section...

http://headphone.guru/ps-audio-sprout-master-of-all-trades-2/

Jun 11, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #363 of 1,423
http://www.stereophile.com/content/ps-audio-sprout-integrated-amplifier
Nice review of the sprout on Stereophile. I believe the measurements for Sprout can be found on Stereophile as well.

Jun 11, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #364 of 1,423
I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but I ran across the HRT MusicStreamer HD last night and I think it looks like a rather good match for what folks are looking for:  small/portable, balanced, cheaper than the LC, etc.  The one negative (to some people, not to me) is that it doesn't support DSD.

smile.amazon.com/Music-Streamer-Digital---Analog-Converter/dp/B00B4YBX1G

Looks like it uses a single PCM1794, which is the same chip in my Fiio X5, with a custom filter.  It's a XMOS USB interface so well-supported by solid drivers. No idea how it sounds ATM, but cheap enough to take a chance on for anyone considering it. 

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #365 of 1,423
One DAC to keep an eye out for is the upcoming EGD (i think it stands for End Game DAC) from Stoner Acoustics, a small outfit from Malaysia. 

A photo of the EGD and EGA prototypes was just posted on the their facebook, the EGD looks portable and fully balanced. From their track record, it shouldn't cost too much when it's eventually released.

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #366 of 1,423
Any thoughts on the Concero? That's my current DAC and it would be great if I can use it with the LC instead of upgrading. I think the main issue is lack of balanced output (I have no need for DSD). Would I be selling the LC short with this?

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #367 of 1,423
One DAC to keep an eye out for is the upcoming EGD (i think it stands for End Game DAC) from Stoner Acoustics, a small outfit from Malaysia. 

A photo of the EGD and EGA prototypes was just posted on the their facebook, the EGD looks portable and fully balanced. From their track record, it shouldn't cost too much when it's eventually released.

I will keep on the look out for the EGD and EGA, the EGD sounds interesting.

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #368 of 1,423
Copied from the deals thread. 10% off all Emotiva products.

Pertains to us here as the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 has hit $450 on amazon. that is the lowest price on camelcamelcamel and the special deal price during a few audio shows. link here.

this is one of the few products in the sub-$500 price range with balanced output dacs (and has quite competitive in comparisions against items like the bifrost and gungnir.

should be a very appealing options for those still looking for a small sized balanced output dac to pair with the carbon at the sub-$500 price point.

hope this is helpful!

+1 Yes I have been checking the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 and have been tempted. If it was not for a possible upgrade of the Gungnir with Yggdrasil tech, I would have pulled the trigger on the Emotiva.

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #369 of 1,423
+1 Yes I have been checking the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 and have been tempted. If it was not for a possible upgrade of the Gungnir with Yggdrasil tech, I would have pulled the trigger on the Emotiva.

Something tells me that any R2R upgrade to the existing line is a long ways down the pipe.

Jun 14, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #370 of 1,423

I'm kinda hoping the same thing.  Or maybe I'll get lucky and run into a used Matrix X-Sabre...

Is anyone else in the hunt for a tablet (iPad) friendly desktop DAC?  Both the Gungnir and the X-Sabre are...

Jun 14, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #371 of 1,423
Any thoughts on the Concero? That's my current DAC and it would be great if I can use it with the LC instead of upgrading. I think the main issue is lack of balanced output (I have no need for DSD). Would I be selling the LC short with this?

I'm curious about this too, since I'll be trying with a Herus/PupDac.. I'll probably need to upgrade pretty soon, definitely keeping an eye on the EGD for now.

Jun 14, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #372 of 1,423
Does anyone have experience with the Wyred4sound DAC2? It's been around a long time. Perhaps it's day is over?

Jun 14, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #373 of 1,423
Does anyone have experience with the Wyred4sound DAC2? It's been around a long time. Perhaps it's day is over?

Funny you should mention that.  I've actually been on a search for a new reference DAC lately, and that was on my list of DACs to evaluate.  I've reached out to them (maybe about a month ago?) about a DAC-2 DSDse loaner to check out... but as they are heavily backordered with that, they didn't have any units available to send out.  I doubt I'll wait much longer before making a decision, so I'm pretty much scratching them off my list.

Jun 15, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #374 of 1,423

I'm curious about this too, since I'll be trying with a Herus/PupDac.. I'll probably need to upgrade pretty soon, definitely keeping an eye on the EGD for now.

I think Alex Cavalli himself on the other Liquid Carbon thread said that you would be getting most of the benefits of balanced headphone output even if you feed the Liquid Carbon single-ended.

And I think many of the CanJam comments about how good the Liquid Carbon sounded was done with DACs connected in single-ended mode. At least I thought the LC sounded magnificient when I heard it paired with the Chord Hugo in single-ended mode.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #375 of 1,423
I'm just wondering what most people here think which is more important. DAC or AMP?. I'm in the source camp. I feel after the headphones the dac is the the most important.
I am probably in the minority, as most people are talking about inexpensive dacs for their LCs. I think the amp is going to amplify a good source.

There are some using Hugos and such. I presume they are in my camp? I could be wrong though.

Please don't tell me your Emotiva sounds just as good as the yggy, hugo, lampi or hegel. I dont buy it.:)
I'm still order #510 for this beautiful amp!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back