Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Jun 4, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #346 of 1,423

I get the curiosity of wanting to try a balanced DAC.  But if it isn't as good of a sounding DAC as the one in the Hugo, then why bother?  The Liquid Carbon will do the heavy lifting of splitting the RCA inputs...

Good point...maybe another just looking for another flavor DAC to keep that for my home rig but it's most likely a case of just having new gear for me as I just gotten a new job and am back in the hobby hahaha

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #347 of 1,423
Any thoughts about the Centrance HiFi-M8 LX as a DAC for the Liquid Carbon? The PRO version omits the headphone amp, cutting the cost $100 to $599, and has balanced XLR outs. It's portable, but can run off wall power, and I like the understated looks. I haven't heard it, but there seem to be a number of positive reviews online. 

Jun 7, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #348 of 1,423
Don't know the M8 Pro, but from what I've read about the LX, I think it isn't truly balanced, just has balanced connectors. Could be wrong here, though (as an aside, have the M8 and the Geek Out Special Edition, the SE sounds better imo. Not balanced, but they have other great with similar design that is balanced. Just sayin)

Jun 9, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #349 of 1,423
Copied from the deals thread. 10% off all Emotiva products.

Pertains to us here as the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 has hit $450 on amazon. that is the lowest price on camelcamelcamel and the special deal price during a few audio shows. link here.

this is one of the few products in the sub-$500 price range with balanced output dacs (and has quite competitive in comparisions against items like the bifrost and gungnir.

should be a very appealing options for those still looking for a small sized balanced output dac to pair with the carbon at the sub-$500 price point.

hope this is helpful!

Jun 9, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #350 of 1,423
  Copied from the deals thread. 10% off all Emotiva products.

Pertains to us here as the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 has hit $450 on amazon. that is the lowest price on camelcamelcamel and the special deal price during a few audio shows. link here.

this is one of the few products in the sub-$500 price range with balanced output dacs (and has quite competitive in comparisions against items like the bifrost and gungnir.

should be a very appealing options for those still looking for a small sized balanced output dac to pair with the carbon at the sub-$500 price point.

hope this is helpful!

I was just about to cross post this. Thanks!

Jun 9, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #351 of 1,423
Has anyone here considered the Emotiva XD2 2nd Gen? It seems like a pretty full featured DAC for the price, but I haven't seen a lot of objective comparisons between it and the DC1.

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #352 of 1,423
I purchased the Emotiva last night. The 10% price drop is also available directly through the Emotiva site. 

Judging from the various reviews, quick re-sale value on Head-Fi, build quality and shape/size/price range, it "appears" to be a perfect fit
with the LC. Fingers crossed. 

However, does anyone foresee a problem that the unit is topped out at 24/192 when so many online digital downloads have higher numbers?

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #353 of 1,423
  I purchased the Emotiva last night. The 10% price drop is also available directly through the Emotiva site. 

Judging from the various reviews, quick re-sale value on Head-Fi, build quality and shape/size/price range, it "appears" to be a perfect fit

However, does anyone foresee a problem that the unit is topped out at 24/192 when so many online digital downloads have higher numbers?

I don't think you're going to have a problem there. Most people can't even distinguish 44.1khz vs 96khz tracks.

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #354 of 1,423

I'm hard pressed to find downloads above 24/192, if any.  I suspect DSD would be something to be more concerned about.  Does the Emotive do PCM conversion of DSD?

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #355 of 1,423

Where are you finding higher numbers than that?  I don't think I've seen anything on HD Tracks or Linn above 24/192.  And as other have said, I can't hear any difference above Redbook, TBH.

Jun 10, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #357 of 1,423
Anyone here consider the PS Audio Sprout? (Seems to fall under the same size dimensions as the LC) Any comparisons of the DAC in the PS Audio Sprout to Emotiva DC-1?

Have read mixed reviews on the Sprout, although have not heard it personally. Also it's a lot more than a DAC so not sure how much they focused on that element of the system. Anyone here have primary experience with it? Cheers

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #358 of 1,423
  Anyone here consider the PS Audio Sprout? (Seems to fall under the same size dimensions as the LC) Any comparisons of the DAC in the PS Audio Sprout to Emotiva DC-1?

was recently on massdrop I believe. perhaps check there for some impressions too. cheers!

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #359 of 1,423
  was recently on massdrop I believe. perhaps check there for some impressions too. cheers!

It's currently on Massdrop.  The headphone.guru review was very positive but I also agree that it's an AIO with a speaker amp included so I wonder at how much quality we can expect from the just DAC section...

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #360 of 1,423
But it might be just the right thing if you listen to vinyl....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back