Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Jun 17, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #377 of 1,423
I have the DC-1 and it sounds just as good as the Gungnir. Is it better than a Yggy? Not a chance. But this DAC is amazing for the price. Next step would be the Yggy or Hugo.

Why the Hugo? Why not look into the Chordette line if it's just a DAC you're looking for.

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #379 of 1,423
  Just noting other DAC's that would be a step up from the Gungnir. I'm sure there are others that I missed but the top end DAC's that seem to stand out is the Yggy and Hugo.

I'm comfortable saying the Yggy is king, but I have my doubts that the Hugo is a clear step up above the Gungnir.  And when the Gungnir gets it's trickle down upgrade (juicy rumors are flying), I'll doubt the Hugo even more.

The Hugo is fantastic in its realm of battery powered, transportable gear.  But then you think about the $2500 price tag (2 Cute is $1700ish), and not too sure of its sound value....

Jun 17, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #380 of 1,423
Then if those "juicy rumors" prove to be true then, yes it will be difficult to outperform the Gungnir with the new DAC's and USB. Which should concern Schitt. I mean if I can just get a Gungnir for under 1k with upgrades then why would I spend over 2k for the Yggy?

Jun 17, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #381 of 1,423
  Then if those "juicy rumors" prove to be true then, yes it will be difficult to outperform the Gungnir with the new DAC's and USB. Which should concern Schitt. I mean if I can just get a Gungnir for under 1k with upgrades then why would I spend over 2k for the Yggy?

Audio-GD has three DAC's that use the PCM1704 chipset, each nearly twice as expensive as the last.  Do you think they'd have that if there wasn't a clear enough difference to make the more expensive one worthwhile to some folks?

I assume it'll be the same with any trickle down tech for the Schiit DAC's.  Maybe 8 DAC chips in the Yggy, 4 in the Gungnir, 2 in the Bifrost?  Two might be good enough for some (like me and the A-GD DAC-19) while others might want the best of the best (Yggy/Master 7).  

As with anything else in this hobby, you're going to get into major diminishing returns past a certain point.  To some folks, it doesn't matter, they would pay $1000 for that extra little bit of detail.  For others, it's laughable to even consider.  Just keep in mind that, whichever you are, there are always people on the other side too.  A wise manufacturer will cater to both.  Just look at the Liquid Carbon vs the Liquid Gold...

Jun 17, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #382 of 1,423
Please don't tell me your Emotiva sounds just as good as the yggy, hugo, lampi or hegel. I dont buy it.:)
I'm still order #510 for this beautiful amp!!!

I will not tell anyone this because I don't know, nor do I care. I will likely never get to the point of being able to justify the level of expenditure required to own one of those.
I am quite sure, having spent time with the DC-1 that it will make a pairing with the LC that is far better than anything I currently have. That is quite enough.
The premise that someone that enjoys listening to music will not enjoy it without spending thousands on equipment is quite flawed. In practical terms these are many things that I can spend money on that are far, far more productive to getting me where I want to be.

I feel assured that I will be quite happy with my DC-1 and the LC.
Trying to achieve perfection is the arch enemy of getting to quite good enough...

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #383 of 1,423
  I'm comfortable saying the Yggy is king, but I have my doubts that the Hugo is a clear step up above the Gungnir.  And when the Gungnir gets it's trickle down upgrade (juicy rumors are flying), I'll doubt the Hugo even more.

The Hugo is fantastic in its realm of battery powered, transportable gear.  But then you think about the $2500 price tag (2 Cute is $1700ish), and not too sure of its sound value....

Though I have not yet had the pleasure of trying the yggy yet, I share your skepticism. I had the chance to extensively test the Hugo and I wasn't too impressed. Was expecting more at that price point. personal impression only. feel free to disagree :)

I will not tell anyone this because I don't know, nor do I care. I will likely never get to the point of being able to justify the level of expenditure required to own one of those.
I am quite sure, having spent time with the DC-1 that it will make a pairing with the LC that is far better than anything I currently have. That is quite enough.
The premise that someone that enjoys listening to music will not enjoy it without spending thousands on equipment is quite flawed. In practical terms these are many things that I can spend money on that are far, far more productive to getting me where I want to be.

I feel assured that I will be quite happy with my DC-1 and the LC.
Trying to achieve perfection is the arch enemy of getting to quite good enough...

this is such a wise statement. i would probably eventually upgrade my dac to something fancy just for kicks, but honestly from my personal testing, there is absolutely no need to spend $2k+ on a dac for me to enjoy my music.

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #384 of 1,423

Mike has forgotten more then I ever hope to know.  He's way ahead of that question.  The new Gungnir will be awesome, but it won't tread in the waters of the Yggy....

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #385 of 1,423
I'm just wondering what most people here think which is more important. DAC or AMP?. I'm in the source camp. I feel after the headphones the dac is the the most important.
I am probably in the minority, as most people are talking about inexpensive dacs for their LCs. I think the amp is going to amplify a good source.

There are some using Hugos and such. I presume they are in my camp? I could be wrong though.

Please don't tell me your Emotiva sounds just as good as the yggy, hugo, lampi or hegel. I dont buy it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm still order #510 for this beautiful amp!!!

I'm more Amp before DAC.  I'm not trying to downplay the DAC (heck look at this thread).  But I think more people will be inclined to have multiple amps, before multiple DACs...

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #386 of 1,423
Any thoughts on the Concero? That's my current DAC and it would be great if I can use it with the LC instead of upgrading. I think the main issue is lack of balanced output (I have no need for DSD). Would I be selling the LC short with this?

The Concero is a first-rate DAC and I've directly compared it to many other balanced DACs in highly resolving systems. A good DAC is good regardless of balanced output. It should be an excellent pairing with the LC.

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #387 of 1,423
The Concero is a first-rate DAC and I've directly compared it to many other balanced DACs in highly resolving systems. A good DAC is good regardless of balanced output. It should be an excellent pairing with the LC.

I agree. It was very high on my list. The non balanced was the major reason I didn't buy it. It sounded fantastic. the hour I listened to it.

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #388 of 1,423
I wouldn't let the lack of a balanced output prevent me from buying the concero. That would make a good setup that takes up very little desk space. If I was in the market that would be my first choice for the dac considering the size of the amp

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #389 of 1,423
I wouldn't let the lack of a balanced output prevent me from buying the concero. That would make a good setup that takes up very little desk space. If I was in the market that would be my first choice for the dac considering the size of the amp

I agree! While I have been setting the balanced output as a selection criteria... if you are not in a high noise area and have the source and amp separated by a significant distance, I find it hard to think that just by having balanced outputs, with no other factors involved, would it make much difference. I believe that a very good DAC with SE output will sound better than a less than optimal DAC with balanced outputs.

The things that we keep reading about balanced being better in all things, is anecdotal at best.

Jun 19, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #390 of 1,423
Any thoughts on the Concero? That's my current DAC and it would be great if I can use it with the LC instead of upgrading. I think the main issue is lack of balanced output (I have no need for DSD). Would I be selling the LC short with this?

I have a Concero HD and it is a solid DAC. I will certainly be trying it with LC before I look at buying anything else. I agree with chowmein83, you will make greater gains balancing your headphones before your DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back