Finally went electrostatic... here's my setup+impressions. Stax SR-5 and SRD-6
Jan 8, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #32 of 63
I'm still amazed how good an SR-5NB can sound (and how much better than the normal white SR-5 it is). I've had two before, now one, and the one I sold with the cloth covered round cable still sounded as good as the one I have now with the flat ribbon cable.

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #34 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OH GOD I HAVE TO HAVE THE SR-5NB NOW.

And a T1 too. The combo with the Decco as DAC would be awesome. You could actually call it a day with such a rig and stop there.

Jan 10, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #37 of 63
Did you read HPA's post right above yours? The SR-5NB sounds better than the SR-5. It has better drivers, the same drivers used in the SR-X mk3 IIRC.

Jan 10, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #38 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What parts are upgraded in the SR5NB over the SR5? Or is it just a shiny version of the same thing?

The drivers are thinner

Jan 10, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #39 of 63
The SR-5N has the same drivers as the SR-X Mk3 which is essentially just the old SR-5 driver with a 2um diaphragm, same stator assembly. The N was white but with gold anodized markings instead of the silver on the SR-5. The NB has black plastic and the same gold pieces.

Jan 11, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #40 of 63
Cool. I'm talking to Shike about possibly replacing my drivers with the thinner mylar he found. It seems like a worthwhile endeavor. I'll keep you guys updated.

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #41 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What parts are upgraded in the SR5NB over the SR5? Or is it just a shiny version of the same thing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you read HPA's post right above yours? The SR-5NB sounds better than the SR-5. It has better drivers, the same drivers used in the SR-X mk3 IIRC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR-5N has the same drivers as the SR-X Mk3 which is essentially just the old SR-5 driver with a 2um diaphragm, same stator assembly. The N was white but with gold anodized markings instead of the silver on the SR-5. The NB has black plastic and the same gold pieces.

What I hear as the difference in the SR-5NB is significantly better bass impact over the SR-5 (and SR-3), with a better balance between bass, mids and treble. Overall it's a more involving sound for me, and more realistic and fuller sounding than the normal SR-5 were (sold both normal SR-5 I've owned and my SR-3). The SR-5NB even gave my previous re-cabled RS-1 and RS-2 a run for the money.

In other comparisons - the SR-X Mk3 sounded very nice like the SR-5NB, with just a smaller soundstage than the SR-5NB but similarly good bass impact, rich mids and sparkly treble. I'd recommend that if you can't find the SR-5NB or SR-Lambda.

I actually liked the SR-5NB and SR-X Mk3 or SR-Lasmbda better than my stock Gamma Pro (owned two), but my woodied Gamma Pro with SR-007 earpads clearly tops the stock one. The woodied GP are still a bit brighter than the SR-5NB, SR-5, or SR-Lambda but still pretty good with a nicer soundstage and still good bass presence.

My old SR-3 sounded more like a fast/detailed FM radio due to rolled off treble and bass (although the mids were nice), and the SR-5 had more extended treble but still too little bass for me. There are definitely some good vintage Stax out there, if you know what to look for.

Jan 11, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #44 of 63
In my case I had problems with headband before the drivers. One thing I noticed that permanently charged electrostatic headphones that do not require a bias power supply can start to less their charge after 5 years. My SR5NBI I believe was made in 1983 is still going like new since I took it out of the factory box last month.

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #45 of 63
If left out of direct sunlight then the drivers will last for a long time. The oldest phones are 50 years old now and still going strong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool. I'm talking to Shike about possibly replacing my drivers with the thinner mylar he found. It seems like a worthwhile endeavor. I'll keep you guys updated.

Replacing the drivers with other Stax units or replacing the diaphragm from scratch? There is a lot more to the diaphragm then just stretched mylar on a metal ring and if you don't have the right tension, proper heat treating procedure from DuPont or the correct resistive coating (properly applied) then all you'll end up with is a lot of distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back