All together:

GmbP6l.jpg

Earspeaker detail:

w6jU8l.jpg

Cable detail:

t5Ejol.jpg

Transformer detail:

MEdZIl.jpg

How does it sound? Like the offpsring of the super-detailed and analytical K240DF I owned for a couple days and the musical, foot-tapping, engaging Grado SR225i or HF-1. The clarity and openness is amazing, but it still has an in-your-face sort of sound to it. Not as aggressive as the Grados, though.

I have no reference for soundstage, again having exclusively owned Grados for the past year, but the soundstage is absolutely better than the SR225i or HF-1 that I had. When my girlfriend was over demoing these, I wanted her to notice a guitar in a track that I had never even noticed before. I literally pointed to about 2 o'clock and told her to listen there for it, and she got it! Instrument placement and separation is great. I can easily pick out any instrument in the mix.

The mids I believe are the strong point. Of course, they are ultra-fast and open. Guitars and drums are the standouts of any track that has them. I want to take a moment to discuss the drums... they sound wonderfully... percussive. I really don't know how to describe them, but I have a couple friends who are drummers who I've heard play (I don't ever refer to rock concerts in critical listening, everything is over-amplified.) Anyone who has heard live, unamplified drumming knows that drums have a certain energy and weight, and these Stax convey this very well. I think that weight is a key word, that and impact. And I'm sure owing to the electrostatic design, the SR-5 easily keep up with frenetic guitar riffs and complex solos.

For bass, I'll again refer back to my SR225i. They had good impact and decent quantity, and were rather fast. With my RE0, bass is lean but fast and open/clear. The bass signature of the SR-5 leans much more towards the RE0. A kick drum sounds exactly like a kick drum, and a bass guitar sounds exactly like a bass guitar should. Bass is never over-the-top in presentation, and I'm sure some would consider it weak. However, I think that it is the perfect kind of bass for rock, metal, etc where speed and tightness are a priority rather than huge impact and quantity. I really couldn't ask for better bass on these phones, for the genres I listen to.

Treble... well I'm not good at describing treble, but I would describe it as decent. It definitely can sound too aggressive or loud compared to the rest of the mix, depending on the track. I don't have audiophile trained ears, but I'm sure that the treble is a bit boosted in one area or another.

Since I know that they're not a hugely popular 'phone, I'll do my best to answer questions and keep this thread updated... I feel like they're a really underappreciated or off-the-radar 'phone that deserves more popularity. I truly cannot think of a setup I'd rather have for ~$250 than the SRD-6/SR-5 combo... It just trounces my $215 SR225i and $290 HF-1 in every way.

Questions, comments, requests, etc: Fire away!

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 63
I didn't see this thread... I didn't see this thread... I didn't see this thread... I love my 'phones... I love my 'phones
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the impressions. I'd be very interested in knowing how your rig compares to a setup with the AKG 701 since they are very detailed and also have a lighter yet very accurate bass. Not to mention the added soundstage the 701 has as compared to the Grado 225.

Thanks again,

Ross

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't see this thread... I didn't see this thread... I didn't see this thread... I love my 'phones... I love my 'phones
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the impressions. I'd be very interested in knowing how your rig compares to a setup with the AKG 701 since they are very detailed and also have a lighter yet very accurate bass. Not to mention the added soundstage the 701 has as compared to the Grado 225.

Thanks again,

Ross

I think that anyone who has a high-power or just high-quality speaker amp (better than an old AV receiver or something) owes it to themselves to try an electrostatic setup. There wasn't a single dynamic setup that I heard at the Midwest meet, save maybe the PS1000 rig that the store had set up, that I would take over what I have right now. The Decco is a decent unit, but I am totally confident that a very good power amp could make this setup compete with much more expensive dynamic setups.

I can't comment specifically on how the K701 compares since I haven't heard it, but the SRD-6/SR-5 is definitely euphonic and musical, which I have never heard the K701 described as. Maybe they'd be closer to the K601? I don't really know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are SR-5 those electretty things?

Full electrostatic.

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 63
It is undoubtedly underrated around here. I think people are almost afraid to commit to trying out electrostats because it can be a bit confusing at first and there seems to be a thought that all Stax are expensive, which is simply not true. The SR5/SRD6 is a no brainer if you have a budget limit of $200 (you can probably find the combo for closer to $100 actually) and they come up for sale on ebay in the US, UK, and Germany quite regularly. As for you not having audiophile ears, we must be in the same boat as your impressions are almost spot on with what I've said of the headphones in the past. Nice review.

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 63
I traded my HF-1s for this setup. I may have gotten the less valuable end of the deal, but I don't have any doubt that I got the better sound end.

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 63
Did you get the white Stax SR-5 new? I have one of the last new Stax SR-5 that is black and gold with a rubber cable. The black Stax SR-5 is my remaing Stax headphone and it is my second Stax SR-5 and my first which was white and had a fabric cord like yours. I did have the Lambda as well.

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that anyone who has a high-power or just high-quality speaker amp (better than an old AV receiver or something) owes it to themselves to try an electrostatic setup.

So that box that comes with it is not an amp? What is that for anyway?

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #11 of 63
Well, no, the SRD-6 is not an amp. It's a pair of step-up transformers and a bias supply.

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #12 of 63
Nice review to a great introductory ESP rig.

Yes, the transformer boxes like the SRD6 are under-rated gems for those with existing speaker amps to hook them up to. Dead easy way to try out ESPs.

And the SR-5 is a great example of how something quite old can easilly perform at a very good SQ level when fed a good amplified signal.

Enjoy your ESPs!

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #13 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't comment specifically on how the K701 compares since I haven't heard it, but the SRD-6/SR-5 is definitely euphonic and musical, which I have never heard the K701 described as. Maybe they'd be closer to the K601? I don't really know.

Heh, K601 and SR-5 (with SRD-7) owner over here
biggrin.gif

Got to say they sound nothing alike. The SR-5 is considerably bright in comparison . . . it's closer to a tamed Grado than anything else I've heard.

Word of the wise: Consider checking the diaphragm (mylar) condition. These things are somewhere around forty years old, and they don't play well with age and dust often having holes that grow larger with use. Currently I need to finish my plans to refurb mine, though I'm having trouble finding one micron mylar so I may just end up with two.

Honestly I imagine I'll resell them fixed/modded if it doesn't change the sound dramatically, I enjoy my K601 more overall. It's definitely more accurate in my experience.

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #14 of 63
Yes the SR-5 are brightish but smooth and transparent. Not as neutral as some of my other headphones. Since I brought the Black and gold SRD-5 (one of the last model that Stax made) as a spare. It has been sealed in the factory box until last month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back