Finally went electrostatic... here's my setup+impressions. Stax SR-5 and SRD-6
Nov 17, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #62 of 63
I am reviving this old thread to add my comments to others on the Stax SR-5 headphones.  I enjoyed the reviews posted by others and generally agree with their characterizations of the Stax headphones.

I am the original owner of a Stax SR-5 headphones with the SRD-6 adaptor.  This combination still makes beautiful music after almost 40 years.  My Grado SR325e headphones are somewhat better balanced across the full frequency range, but the Stax are hard to beat for transparency and have been remarkably durable.   

I purchased two Stax headphone extension cables many years ago.  These may be even rarer today than the headphones. 

I rarely use the loudspeaker switch on the SRD-6 adaptor.  The speaker cable inputs for the adaptor are too small for the gauge cables that I prefer and the input cables from the adaptor to the amp are perhaps 20 gauge.  I do not want these small cables or the switch and connections of the SRD-6 adaptor in the line from my amp to my speakers.  Currently, I am driving the Stax with a Marantz PM-6004 and use the Speaker A and B switch on this integrated amp to switch between speakers and the Stax.

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #63 of 63
i had just discover this old thread also here is my impressions :

I must say to someone my joy to listen to the Stax sr-5 with an energizer stax srd -6sb... My speaker amplifier is the Sansui AU-7700.... I will say it to everyone who will listen  : the upper  mids are way better than on my basic  nova lambda, the soundstage is more narrow (the only defect, with a bass less present but very acceptable bass) BUT with any solo instrument or voice  more clear and more detailed in the mids  and  the highs... I love them on par with the lambda nova basic that has more large  soundstage with orchestral score or large choral works and more 3-d effect ... But if you are interested  you must know that they sound perfect if you can tweak  with a good tone control the bass and all frequencies to your liking...That make all the difference in the world... Without the Sansui i am convinced that perhaps i would not have keep them or listen to them with this  pleasure... The vintage Sansui Au 7700 is also a miraculous  speaker amplifier or pre-amplifier for a ridiculous price in used marketplace...Thanks to all for all the infos here
smile.gif

P.S. Dont be jealous  please , i pay these diamond 70 dollars: earspeakers +energizer...
atsmile.gif

update: after many hours of listening and despite his principal limitation with a narrower sounstage, i prefer the Stax SR-5 to all my headphone (stax lambda nova basic, he 400, and Fostex th7b) the voice of  a singer is more clear and natural without a veil, the mids are natural also without veil, the highs are to die for compared to my other headphone... the bass is ok not really lacking for me..And this SR-5 is supposed to be less good than the gold version !... Hence I discovered despite myself that my past purchase were no longer satisfying... my quest for a good headphone is not over but in the meantime i had this jewel ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back