Finally Ultrasone Edition 9
Aug 8, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #32 of 56
I dunno...they seem to like that headband!
tongue.gif

Apparently, all current Ultrasones use a redesigned headband...same look and design, but improved materials to prevent it from cracking. It's a little more "rubbery" now.

Aug 8, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #33 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny G
I dunno...they seem to like that headband!
tongue.gif

Apparently, all current Ultrasones use a redesigned headband...same look and design, but improved materials to prevent it from cracking. It's a little more "rubbery" now.

It's an OK headband for a cheaper consumer model... I mean Beyerdynamic uses it on the lesser offerings. But at that price? Come on... no excuse. Where's all the money going in those headphones?

Aug 8, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #34 of 56
Yes, they need to change the headband. I like the way the cups can swivel and fold in, but the actual band over your head is a terrible design. It cracks and just doesnt feel at all safe.

Aug 8, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #35 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrying
Yes, they need to change the headband. I like the way the cups can swivel and fold in, but the actual band over your head is a terrible design. It cracks and just doesnt feel at all safe.

Even if the cracking is fixed, it's still a $10 headband made of plastic on a $2.5 luxury headphone. Totally unacceptable.

Aug 8, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #36 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Even if the cracking is fixed, it's still a $10 headband made of plastic on a $2.5 luxury headphone. Totally unacceptable.

You must admit that a $10 headband on a $2.5 headphone is a pretty good deal
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #37 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
You must admit that a $10 headband on a $2.5 headphone is a pretty good deal
biggrin.gif

Damn it! I meant $2.5k!

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #38 of 56
Interesting, but we are forgetting the important questions:

1. Were these headphones designed while Florian Koenig was on the toilet?

2. Did he feel sufficient pain during the design process?

evil_smiley.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #39 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
I hope the new edition sound amazing, b/c I don't like the look. For that kind of money, I would buy a used L3000. Much better build quality and sound great to boot!

IMHO the Edition 7 sounds better than the L3000 in the amps I have tried it, bass sounds a lot more natural to me...

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #40 of 56
I too experienced those nasty cracks in the headband of my HFI-650. I thought it was my fault though and contacted Ultrasone to ask if they could supply replacement parts. They then told me that this is very likely their failure and replaced the parts for free!
This was during the 2 year warranty though, but on the other hand, they didnt really check...

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #41 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
It's an OK headband for a cheaper consumer model... I mean Beyerdynamic uses it on the lesser offerings. But at that price? Come on... no excuse. Where's all the money going in those headphones?

Well Grado also uses the same headband with some leather changes on all their models, and I do not feel the Orpheus to be far better from the HD650 neither, it has also a lot of plastic...Qualia is nothing eceptional neither, the only that crosses my mind with far better headband are the R-10 and L3000...

IMO they should be more sturdy that is true, and use a metal headband as well, I agree, and I would like it that way, but I'm more worried about the sound...it is supposed to sound very similar to the Edition 7, if not identical...

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:40 PM Post #42 of 56
I'm not going to defend the plastic Ultrasone headband, but I'm sorry to say that the headband on most Grados doesnt seem that much more expensive...its like a cheap leather headband my girlfriend would wear
tongue.gif

At least the headbands on AKG's look pretty classy and expensive (like the 701)

AKGK701.jpg

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #43 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Well Grado also uses the same headband with some leather changes on all their models, and I do not feel the Orpheus to be far better from the HD650 neither, it has also a lot of plastic...Qualia is nothing eceptional neither, the only that crosses my mind with far better headband are the R-10 and L3000...

IMO they should be more sturdy that is true, and use a metal headband as well, I agree, and I would like it that way, but I'm more worried about the sound...it is supposed to sound very similar to the Edition 7, if not identical...

I have owned an Ultrasone at the same time as I owned an RS1 and a GS1000... you frankly can't compare that leather headband to the cheap plastic nonsense that is the Ultrasone headband.

And they're all a far cry from the Beyer headband... that thing rules.

Aug 9, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #44 of 56
I don't think it's such a question of 'quality' compared to others. The Ultrasone plastic headband (and the same one used on a few other manufacturers models such as the Sennheiser HD280) have been known to crack.

This may be due to it's inflexible nature and people trying to force it - dunno. The Sennheiser Hd580/600/650 headband is pretty inflexible and i've never heard about anyone cracking the Senns. But it is still a known issue with the U-sones.

Wrt comfort, the U-sone/Senn HD280/etc headband is probably the least comfortable I've ever worn. This is probably what leads people to try and bend it and therefore crack it. Grado's, while possibly appearing 'cheaper' due to their simpler nature, are lighter and easily flexed should the owner require it.

Aug 9, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #45 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
I don't think it's such a questions of 'quality' compared to others. The Ultrasone plastic headband (and the same one used on a few other manufacturers models such as the Sennheiser HD280) have been known to crack.

This may be due to it's inflexible nature and people trying to force it - dunno. The Sennheiser Hd580/600/650 headband is pretty inflexible and i've never heard about anyone cracking the Senns. But it is still a known issue with the U-sones.

Wrt comfort, the U-sone/Senn HD280/etc headband is probably the least comfortable I've ever worn. This is probably what leads people to try and bend it and therefore crack it. Grado's, while possibly appearing 'cheaper' due to their simpler nature, are lighter and easily flexed should the owner require it.

I wonder who the original supplier is for that particular headband? Sure is popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back