Finally Ultrasone Edition 9
Aug 8, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #17 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard
Do you know how these will sound?

They are supposed to sound the same as the Edition 7 as they are basically the same headphone with a few cosmetic differences and an aluminum enclosure instead of Cherry....

Aug 8, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #19 of 56
Hopefully these will sound better than the Edition 7.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #20 of 56
I heard an Edition 7 a couple years ago, and wasn't impressed after a 2min demo, but Ultrasone headphones take a while to get accustomed to IME.

Any Ultrasone fans, please check out the Ultrasone Appreciation thread here: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=192732

Aug 8, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #21 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard
Who has owned the Edition 7? Wayne is the only one that I know of, and from what I recall, he wasn't extremely high on them.

Rudi has a Edition 7 as well, and some members heard it at the national meeting, I heard them as well, and like them very much, specially the bass is really good...But IMO not for that price neither...as any other headphone that expensive I have heard...I would like to spend more time with them, and hopefully I will....
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #22 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
I heard an Edition 7 a couple years ago, and wasn't impressed after a 2min demo, but Ultrasone headphones take a while to get accustomed to IME.

Any Ultrasone fans, please check out the Ultrasone Appreciation thread here: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=192732

I'm not sure what you mean by 'get used to'. To me that implies they have an odd colouration that you compensate for psychoacoustically after a period of time. Not a good sign to me having spent over $2k.

Could you elebaorate a bit on 'get used to'?

Aug 8, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #23 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Rudi has a Edition 7 as well, and some members heard it at the national meeting, I heard them as well, and like them very much, specially the bass is really good...But IMO not for that price neither...as any other headphone that expensive I have heard...I would like to spend more time with them, and hopefully I will....
wink.gif

Did you ever give your impressions of the ProLine 2500? Sounds like an interesting headphone.

Aug 8, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #24 of 56
IMO, Ultrasones dont exactly sound like headphones, be that for the good or the bad. I perfer the sound of headphones over speakers personally, so its up to your perference.

Aug 8, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #25 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
I'm not sure what you mean by 'get used to'. To me that implies they have an odd colouration that you compensate for psychoacoustically after a period of time. Not a good sign to me having spent over $2k.

When you say 'odd colouration that you compensate for psychoacoustically after a period of time", that sounds pretty much right
smily_headphones1.gif
I never claimed to have spent any real time with the Edition 7, but have owned a HFI-650 & now the PROline 750, and both took some "mental break-in" to appreciate.

Aug 8, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #26 of 56
Quote:

Honestly, the HP1000 and the W5000 also take some getting used to for me, coming from something like, say a K1000 or the RS1. Seems like with any headphone you need to slide back into a groove wtih it, once you've had something else on your head.

Example: I've got an HP1 here right now (on loan) and my K1000. Going from the K1000 to the HP1 feels like someone's throwing a blanket over the sound. However, if you sit and settle into it for an hour or so, the HP1 sounds "correct." Suddenly, going back to the K1000 you have this bright thing with pumped treble.

They're both pretty neutral cans, aren't they? I think most people would say so, in fact, a lot of people would say that they're some of the MOST neutral cans.

Perception's funny.

Aug 8, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #27 of 56
Quote:

Well indeed all the headphones over 2K I have tried are all colored, euphonic or whatever you want to call them, but they do sound nice and I like them too....

About the Ultrasones, they are all the opposite, they are extremelly neutral and very well regarded in the pro world, and just for that reason is why they are widely use right now is a lot of recording studios for mixing...

Do not misunderstood me, you need time to get used to the S-Logic presentation, not exactly the sound, that is what is different, and that is why you need some time to get used to that more natural presentation a little more in front of you, rather than the usual typical side presentation...

If you want more info on their sound, there was an extensive discussion some time ago in another thread, just do a quick search and you will find it...

Aug 8, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #28 of 56
I hope the new edition sound amazing, b/c I don't like the look. For that kind of money, I would buy a used L3000. Much better build quality and sound great to boot!

Aug 8, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #29 of 56
From the news that I have so far, the Edition 9's will be quite similar to the Edition 7's, although they do come with a new aluminum case, rather than the previous model's handmade cherry wood case, which was quite expensive.

The new cans will be made from aluminum casts and polished to a high-gloss piano black look. Not sure about the new cables...but it is possible those are new as well.

I beleive the price will be $2K-2.5K here in North America. I'll keep you all posted if I get more news.

Aug 8, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #30 of 56
They REALLY need to ditch that headband if they're going to ask that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back