Finally heard a Grado for the 1st time
Mar 22, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #46 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by exec_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also new to grado headphones.

Time to put my wallet in a safe and forget where the keys are...
wink.gif

......I found my keys.
frown.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #48 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by RevToTheRedline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the Alessandro MS-2 based on the SR325i or just the original 325?

Ah; long story!

When the MS2 came out...and by the way the MS2i is really just the MS2, but we'll get to that in a moment. When the MS2 came out, it was using an SR-325 housing with an Allesandro "defined" driver assembly, giving the MS2 it's own distinct sound. Then when the 50th Grado anniversary hit, they changed the SR-325 and "i"mproved it with a new housing that they colored gold to commemorate the anniversary and a new driver assembly to "i"mprove the sound as well. The Alessandro version by default received the new "mushroom" housing but didn't need a new sound. So since the sound didn't change, neither, I guess, did the name. So the MS2i is officially still the MS2.

For a while around January/February '05, the new shaped MS2 was being called the "Fatboy" to differentiate it from the original MS2, but it took too many keystrokes, I suspect, to point out the differences, so folks just got in the habit of calling the new MS2 the MS2"i" since that's what Grado was calling the SR-325i.

....yeah; I sometimes still refer to mine as the "Fatboy"....but not everyday!

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #49 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oooh....I'm biting my tongue and biting my lip and trying not to say anything!

Aaaarrrrrgh!

"If I knew then what I know now".....oh how I hate that statement!!
mad.gif

Or how about this one......."I wish I wouldn't have bought my MS-1. I wish I wouldn't have bought my MS2i"
frown.gif

".....I wish I'd have just gone straight for MS-Pro."
rs1smile.gif

But that's just me. At any rate; I really am very fond of both my MS-1 and my MS2i. And it is rather difficult to justify moving up to the MS-Pro without a fairly major update to the rest of my system.

But I suppose it would be safe to say that if a person bought MS2i or SR325i to avoid the first generation upgraditus bug, it should be fairly easy to sell it if it didn't suit a listeners tastes.

Just do it
rs1smile.gif
We all know you would absolutely love those pros.
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #50 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalcoil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just do it
rs1smile.gif
We all know you would absolutely love those pros.
wink.gif

I know! I know!!

But every time I think of them, my MS2i KNOW IT and put on a real good copy of a Senns-Clamp and won't let go till I again promise to love and obey!

....and I do luv them so.
tongue.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #51 of 72
I'm surprised that you thought violins sounded nice as I hear some pretty funky distortion in the Sr-60's in the high frequency's. It's a very annoying flaw when you notice it. I also found there construction quite flimsy and there bass somewhat lacking. Better than Ipod ear buds by far but a little disappointing considering the jump in price. I'm just glad I have a nice pair of HD-650's to compare them to
580smile.gif

*also a very old pair of HD430's sounds significantly better than the Sr-60's and is closer to the same price range.

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #52 of 72
So if a person like myself was actually in the market for the SR325i, and have heard them recently, loved them. And it's only about $5 more for the Alessandro MS-2, would it be wise to go with the Alessandro?

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #53 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kipman725 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised that you thought violins sounded nice as I hear some pretty funky distortion in the Sr-60's in the high frequency's. It's a very annoying flaw when you notice it. I also found there construction quite flimsy and there bass somewhat lacking. Better than Ipod ear buds by far but a little disappointing considering the jump in price. I'm just glad I have a nice pair of HD-650's to compare them to
580smile.gif

It's not fair to compare the HD650 ($340) to the SR60 ($70) :p I too noticed the lack of bass in the SR60 though.. to me the sound was really thin. The SR225 definitely had better bass, it was almost too much at times. But my favorite headphone under $200 is still definitely the MS1.. it's so good, and worth the $30 extra instead of going with the SR60 IMO
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #54 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by RevToTheRedline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if a person like myself was actually in the market for the SR325i, and have heard them recently, loved them. And it's only about $5 more for the Alessandro MS-2, would it be wise to go with the Alessandro?

Uh, probably....no.

I have not personally heard the SR-325i, but it is my understanding from reading about a buzzilion posts that they sound a whole lot different than the MS2i. So if a person really like the SR-325i, then the MS2i would probably sound a little dull and a bit too civilized!

...heh heh heh, on the other hand if a person really liked the MS2i, the SR-325i would probably sound a bit....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #55 of 72
I ordered the donut pads for the SR60 today. I pull the earpeices just off my ears and the sound is much better! I now can hear the treble people are talking about! The bass is much, much less boomy too. I thought I was going crazy with all the people talking about these having more treble than the Senn PX100 and I could not hear it.
basshead.gif
cool.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #56 of 72
Hmm maybe my SR-60s are like the Superman of SR-60s.. I think that with my HeadFive their bass actually rivals my DT770s
blink.gif
. It's also a lot faster and more defined IMO. I'm selling my 2005 DT 770s because I like my Grados so much
icon10.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #57 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm maybe my SR-60s are like the Superman of SR-60s.. I think that with my HeadFive their bass actually rivals my DT770s
blink.gif
. It's also a lot faster and more defined IMO. I'm selling my 2005 DT 770s because I like my Grados so much
icon10.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually, I'm not so very suprised after finding out how very well my HeadFive drives my Grados... Might be something you guys might want to look into for a low cost amp solution matched to your Grados
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #58 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by lerio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Distorsion with sr60 ?
confused.gif

First time i read that, you used what system/Amp ?

Its not distorsion !, its your lousy source that is bad and now you can hear it with the Grado

Mar 23, 2007 at 8:57 AM Post #59 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its not distorsion !, its your lousy source that is bad and now you can hear it with the Grado

It's not me, i was quoted someone else
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 10:46 AM Post #60 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I'm not so very suprised after finding out how very well my HeadFive drives my Grados... Might be something you guys might want to look into for a low cost amp solution matched to your Grados
wink.gif

I already got that impression reading a lot of older threads here on Head-Fi... as they all said the Head-Five was the most tube-like SS-amp with a nice, warm and musical sound while not being overly masking...

I have got one now (#151 I think, but I'm not near it to check) coupled to my Marantz CD5001 and boy does they like grado/alessandro's! Whether I plug in my SR-60 or my MS2-fatboys, it just 'fills in' what was lacking and upgrades the rest. You'll hear deeper bass, but it won't get muddied (not much at least) but the mids and highs are so clear and so lively you'll be sucked into the music whether you want to or not.

Really, my Head-Five + MS2i combo (the SR-60s moved to the office) is soooo addicting. I also have the A900 that was going to be used when there was a bit too much environmental noise, but I find I just moved my listening hours to that time of day (eh...night) where there isn't any external noise just to enjoy that precious combo more. Since I've received my MS2 fatboys, I simply haven't touched my A900's anymore... might even put them up for sale (pristine state, barely burnt-in, ignored to bits
biggrin.gif
)

If only there could be a closed grado/alessandro (contradictio in terminis, I know) but I really need a different closed phone I guess, because owning the A900 and the MS2i just changed my listening habits in stead of offering an option for any situation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back