Finally heard a Grado for the 1st time
Mar 23, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #61 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm listening to a Cherubini String Quartet now and it sounds really good. Chamber music sounds very nice on the SR60. I'm delighted since this is known as a rock headphone but violins sound quite nice too.

This is what I discovered with my Alessandros. Grados really make violins and other string instruments sing.

Mar 23, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #62 of 72
My only experience with Grado started out nicely, but went downhill relatively quickly. I was amazed at the sound of the SR-60, especially given the low price. However, within the first year I had lost one of the channels. I also noticed that the quality of the sound seemed to decrease over the months.

I admit to being intrigued by the MS1, but am hesitant to try Grado again. I had the SR-60 about 6 years ago and remember thinking that it wasn't very durable, and the cable was easily tangled and twisted.

I've used AKG 240M for the past 12 or more years, but my current pair is no longer functioning correctly. Since this model was discontinued I am sort of in headphone limbo here
plainface.gif
The SR-60 sounded as good as the 240M (at least at first, from what I recall), and so I have to believe the MS1 would compare even more favorably. However, I fear it is not durable enough, or will have similar problems since it looks to have the same construction and design as the SR-60.

Mar 23, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #63 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorlakk3.v /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, within the first year I had lost one of the channels.

Why you didn't send it back for a guaranty repair ?

Quote:

I also noticed that the quality of the sound seemed to decrease over the months.

I doubt quality get lost with time, maybe it was burn in and you was disapointed with difference of the sound, but generally sound goes better then

Mar 23, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #64 of 72
I don't even know the answer to the question about the warranty. Maybe there were papers I needed to complete and mail, but never did
mad.gif
I can't remember now.

Yeah, I am familiar with the concept of "burning in", and how that usually leads to better sound over time. Maybe the burned in sound quality wasn't what I expected. I just remember well the first time I plugged 'em in and was blown away.

Mar 23, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #65 of 72
Quote:

My only experience with Grado started out nicely, but went downhill relatively quickly. I was amazed at the sound of the SR-60, especially given the low price. However, within the first year I had lost one of the channels. I also noticed that the quality of the sound seemed to decrease over the months.

I admit to being intrigued by the MS1, but am hesitant to try Grado again. I had the SR-60 about 6 years ago and remember thinking that it wasn't very durable, and the cable was easily tangled and twisted.

I've used AKG 240M for the past 12 or more years, but my current pair is no longer functioning correctly. Since this model was discontinued I am sort of in headphone limbo here
plainface.gif
The SR-60 sounded as good as the 240M (at least at first, from what I recall), and so I have to believe the MS1 would compare even more favorably. However, I fear it is not durable enough, or will have similar problems since it looks to have the same construction and design as the SR-60.

Ah; durability of the MS-1. A question that's very close to my heart!

Last year, for four months before Christmas, my four Grandkids ages 5 through 12 begged me to use my MS-1s till they got new sets of cans for Christmas. So in that four months they had almost*gasp*complete control of my now-precious MS-1s. They did pretty good right up to the last day!...seriously...the day before Christmas they managed to tangle the cable up in their computer chair....and gave it a spin!! It ripped chunks of insulation off the cable on both leads between the "Y" block and the housings. The cans still play beautifully!

These are, in my opinion, tough little cans!!

Remember too; the cable on the SR-60 is of the three connector variety, while the rest of the Grados from the SR-80 on up, as well as all the Alessandros, use a four connector unit.

oh, and by the way; I have since taken my MS-1s back from the kids and have put real fear into their souls about ever touching them again without close adult supervision. I have also cleaned out most of the school-born blue face paint the littlest one brought home from school one day in a blotch right next to her left ear and deposited same on my bright yellow reversed and modded HD414, and have added appropriate amounts of electrical tape in just the right spots. So the cans are again mostly cool.

But four kids, four months...not even Consumer Reports could devise a test as severe!
tongue.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #66 of 72
Ha, ha...that is indeed a great testimony to the durability of those headphones. Thanks for mentioning the cable configuration, too. I'm not sure which headphones I'll end up settling on, but my budget will not exceed the $100 mark. If I can find something that sounds great and will last for years, that works just fine for me
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #67 of 72
Glad you like your new Grados! I got my SR60s last month and at first they seemed like only a miniscule upgrade over my KSC75s, but a few days of pink noise burn in significantly widened the gap. But I love 'em
smily_headphones1.gif

Just a comfort/fit note: My SR60s seemed comfortable when I first put them on too, but they started hurting in about a half hour. Then I accidentally bent the headband too far back and they were always falling off my head. However, after a while I was able to bend them back and now they are comfortable for hours on end and do not fall off during headbanging.
biggrin.gif
So if they ever feel uncomfortable, just play with the headband for a while.

Mar 23, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #68 of 72
Congratulations with a nice pair of headphones. Enjoy!

Mar 24, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #69 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember too; the cable on the SR-60 is of the three connector variety, while the rest of the Grados from the SR-80 on up, as well as all the Alessandros, use a four connector unit.

What's that exactly ? other Grado then sr60 have 4 cables ? in case one is broken the other will work ?
confused.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #70 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by lerio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's that exactly ? other Grado then sr60 have 4 cables ? in case one is broken the other will work ?
confused.gif

Yup; all Grado/Alessandro models above SR-60 have a four conductor cable. And I fully suspect that the "better" four conductor unit would just solder right on in there!

Don't know for sure, but I certainly suspect so!

Mar 24, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #71 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup; all Grado/Alessandro models above SR-60 have a four conductor cable. And I fully suspect that the "better" four conductor unit would just solder right on in there!

Don't know for sure, but I certainly suspect so!

One more reason to Love Grado's
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back