Finally heard a Grado for the 1st time
Mar 22, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #16 of 72
Congrats on the purchase. Now start saving up for the RS-1. You know you want to
rs1smile.gif
. I've been listening with my RS-1's and my new source for some hours now, and even though my source is straight out from the box and probably should be running pink noise for some time, I just can't help it.
Yep, Gradoholic here too.
rs1smile.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #17 of 72
Welcome to the Grado Lovers family. You'll enjoy more and more when time runs by.
I started with the SR-60 and now have a RS-1. Will probably never sell my SR-60 though.
ENJOY this incredible headphone that you have in hands ...

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #18 of 72
You're going to want to move up the line pretty quickly. The SR60 is good for the initial jump of iBuds to a decent set of cans, but it doesn't do the "real" Grado sound justice, IMO (I didn't really care for the SR60). I'd recommend the SR225
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #20 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My goal now is to get the RS-1 sometime within the next couple years.

You really do like them!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaurusman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long does the break-in take? How much of the improvement of bowls is realized with the quarter mod? I too just received SR-60's. Congrats on yours, Spareribs!

Break-in on Grados seems to be fairly short relative to some other cans . . . perhaps 25 hours or so.
SR60 comes with "Comfies" for pads, and those can be quarter-modded, bowls come on SR80 and up and the center is already open so no need to mod them there.

Quote:

Haven't heard it from an amp yet. I'm just listening straight from an MP3 player. Compared to the K501? Well, it's apples and oranges.

Different. I can't say which is better since I don't have a lot of experience with my new Grado. But I enjoy both headphones. The Grado is very nice for low volume listening which great.

Grados are great straight out of a DAP, that's part of the attraction for me. You also hit on another; they sound great at low volumes.
Well that and of course the SOUND
rs1smile.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #21 of 72
Quote:

Just purchased a brand new Grado as it arrived via Fed ex. The SR60. Wow! it's really excellent. I am now a Grado convert. I love Grado! Fine headphone. Definetly worth it. I'm a Grado lover!

Nice warm tone I want to add and very musical. And it's comfortable too actually despite the negative reports.

Agree, the SR60 is one of my favs... listening to mine as I type.
icon10.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #22 of 72
I have an Alessandro MS-1 (Based on SR125)and an Alessandro MS Pro (based on RS1). Both these cans have been set up for a more neutral response. Grado cans are not flat, but highlight bass and treble (U shaped response). The Alessandros are better in this regard. What can I say, both the Grados and the Alessandros (tweaked Grados) are awsome cans. The MS1 in my book has to be the best bang for the buck in open headphones. The difference in the MS-Pros is there but you are spending a hell of a lot to get some more detail, soundstage amd air.

I have tried most of the pad mods and keep coming back to the stock comfies. The only mod that was worthwhile to me was fitting Bowl pads and running masling tape along the bowl pad's perimmiter... this opened up the MS-1s and also added more bass.

I just wish that Grado offered detachable cables like Senns so you could easily go balanced... maybe in the future.

rs1smile.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #24 of 72
Quote:

Just purchased a brand new Grado as it arrived via Fed ex. The SR60. Wow! it's really excellent. I am now a Grado convert. I love Grado! Fine headphone. Definetly worth it. I'm a Grado lover!

Nice warm tone I want to add and very musical. And it's comfortable too actually despite the negative reports.

Well, whatever you do don't try any MS-1s, you'll be running back to the store with those 60s.

I started with the 60s and can't recommend the MS-1s enough.

Oh yeah, the bowls are the way to go!

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #25 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkoulban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an Alessandro MS-1 (Based on SR125)and an Alessandro MS Pro (based on RS1). Both these cans have been set up for a more neutral response. Grado cans are not flat, but highlight bass and treble (U shaped response). The Alessandros are better in this regard. What can I say, both the Grados and the Alessandros (tweaked Grados) are awsome cans. The MS1 in my book has to be the best bang for the buck in open headphones. The difference in the MS-Pros is there but you are spending a hell of a lot to get some more detail, soundstage amd air.

I have tried most of the pad mods and keep coming back to the stock comfies. The only mod that was worthwhile to me was fitting Bowl pads and running masling tape along the bowl pad's perimmiter... this opened up the MS-1s and also added more bass.

I just wish that Grado offered detachable cables like Senns so you could easily go balanced... maybe in the future.

rs1smile.gif

All Grado/Alessandro cans except the SR60 and iGrado have 4 conductor cables. To convert to balanced, splice off the stock 1/4 TRS and re-terminate with a pair of XLR connectors. Of course you'll have to layer up the heat-shrink to protect the cables.

Or, cut off the "Y" block and re-wire with a balanced configuration. Retain the smaller stock cables exiting out of the earcups.

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #27 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats! I thought I was a Sennheiser fanboy until I listened to my SR225 for the first time. I sold the Sennheiser....
icon10.gif

Oh no! You didn't sell the HD580s!!???
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkoulban /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I read the same book! And for a long time I also believed that MS-1 was the best bang for the buck. Really good stuff!!

Then I bought MS2i! Allow me to write a new chapter!

No Kiddin'! Somewhat more than halfway from MS-1 to MS-Pro in SQ at not quite half the price! But with equally great materials and workmanship(less the metal mounting bits)! Truly well built and beautiful phones!

.......but yeah; I still want MS-Pros to complete my collection!!
rs1smile.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #28 of 72
Welcome aboard,the sr-60 and the rs-2 are the only Grado's that i aven't heard yet,i might get a chance to hear them at the Montréal sound and image festival next month,happy listening
gs1000.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #29 of 72
I got my first Grados today too! They are the SR60 also. I will be using these for a portable headset! I am really amazed how loud and clear they are straight from my soundcard and iPod!. Very, very happy so far.

I have the Senn HD600s and they have a louder treble to them. Does anyone know if the Grado SR60s will have a little more treble as time goes on?? Thanks!
gs1000.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #30 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kg4icn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my first Grados today too! They are the SR60 also. I will be using these for a portable headset! I am really amazed how loud and clear they are straight from my soundcard and iPod!. Very, very happy so far.

I have the Senn HD600s and they have a louder treble to them. Does anyone know if the Grado SR60s will have a little more treble as time goes on?? Thanks!
gs1000.gif

i havent experienced more treble with more use, but i did notice a better midrange after a few months of listening through the sr60. most people would agree that the sr60 have a pretty strong treble response already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back