Finally bought me a new pair of headhones.
Feb 9, 2011 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

naurispunk

100+ Head-Fier

Finally bought my first (and second) pair of "real" headphones. XD-53! 

As I was walking towards the store I was still concidering buyin Pioneer HDJ-2000, just cuz they appear to be the most durable headphones ever. That was really important to me since I did not want to buy expensive headphones just to see them fall apart in first 2 months. Anyway when I saw them along side XD-53 and other headphones they did not look all that impressive. After listening to both of them, I could tell the difference but they did not seem superior to XD-53 in any way. Plus I thought If I break them I would just start crying (because of the price mainly. At the store they were almost 90% more expensive). 

For the money I saved I also bought Grado SR80i because... well how could I not :)

Bad Religion has never sounded so good!

Now waiting for my PA2V2 to arrive. Life is good!

Anyway I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave me their advice. I learned quite a few things in the past few weeks.

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 10
Hey congrats...welcome to the world of headphones. Your wallet may have an unending hole from now onwards 
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

You bought two pairs of headphone? Cool!

Well i bought xd-53 (instead of pioneer hdj 2000) and then i spent the money i saved (xd-53 cost like $150 less) to buy grados. Not two pairs of xd-53 :)

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:

For the money I saved I also bought Grado SR80i because... well how could I not :)

Now that's a good start to hoarding headphones.  Wait till you start grabbing DACs, amps, TTs, CDPs, and other goodies to constantly enhance your experience.

Sorry about your wallet indeed.

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 10
Congrats! I did the exact same thing, was going to get a pair of HDJ-2000 but instead I opted for the XD-53 and I'm very happy with the purchase
L3000.gif

And running my XD-53 through a PA2V2, I can say that they feel happier when amped (yes, I said happier because they have feelings too
biggrin.gif
). Would be amazing if they had a removable cable, but we can't have everything at once, even if we aspire to.

Anyway, it's always nice to see another head-fier with XD-53's
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Quote:

Now that's a good start to hoarding headphones.  Wait till you start grabbing DACs, amps, TTs, CDPs, and other goodies to constantly enhance your experience.

I know I need amp cuz most of devices i use to listen to music doesnt have enough juice to output sound that would make high end headphones sound as good as they could.

But what's a TT? And CDP? DAC? What benefit do these things give you?

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Congrats! I did the exact same thing, was going to get a pair of HDJ-2000 but instead I opted for the XD-53 and I'm very happy with the purchase
L3000.gif

And running my XD-53 through a PA2V2, I can say that they feel happier when amped (yes, I said happier because they have feelings too
biggrin.gif
). Would be amazing if they had a removable cable, but we can't have everything at once, even if we aspire to.

Anyway, it's always nice to see another head-fier with XD-53's
wink.gif

XD-53s are great!

And although If I think about it rationally I feel that it sucks that you have to buy extra equipment to get full advantage of them (it's like what is the point of paying more money to get better headhones just to realise that you need to spend even more for other stuff to actually make them work properly) it doesn't feel like a scam.

It almost seems like it's similar to tuning your car just for audio dorks :)

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know I need amp cuz most of devices i use to listen to music doesnt have enough juice to output sound that would make high end headphones sound as good as they could.

But what's a TT? And CDP? DAC? What benefit do these things give you?

TT is a turntable, they generally offer really high quality audio output.
CDP is CD player. Some people invest in high quality CD players to play their music.
DAC is Digital to Analog Converter. It is mainly used to convert digital data from your computer/cd player to analog data(ie your headphones or headphone amp). The soundcard in your computer is a DAC but probably low quality.
Headphone amps are required because high/mid grade headphones require a lot of power to properly drive them.
You basically require a good source(DAC) so that your headphone amp can amplify the sound how it was intended to be heard. A poor DAC would result in muffled sound and loss of low or high frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back