Final Thoughts: The NEW Sony MDR-ZX700 vs the Legendary Sony MDR-V6
Apr 18, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #61 of 85
Quote:
Following up on my earlier post, I managed to fix the MDR ZX 700s,

Short version:
  1. Issue: exposed wiring connecting left driver to right driver inside headphone arm- I was incorrect earlier when I reported that power was flowing properly to the right driver (multimeter noob)
  2. Repair method: removed the damaged section of wire and soldered in undamaged wire (cannibalized from an inexpensive working headset)
  3. How long did this take: 8 hours for me. I had never soldered before and also reassembled the headset incorrectly multiple times
  4. Basic methodology: 1. confirm left driver is not dead (test ohms with multimeter, or better yet, desolder driver then test with a donor headset), 2. test left to right driver wiring by soldering known, good wire directly to the right driver from the left driver, 3. if step 2 suggest bad wiring, visually inspect for breaks, exposed copper, anything abnormal, then remove malfuncitoning section and splice new wire.

This was my first legitimate headphone repair. Overall, it was 'fun' but time consuming. Anyone who has a lot of time, a soldering iron, and is reasonably careful could do this. The ZX700 seems to be relatively straightforward to disassemble, but I still found it painstaking to reassemble.

The main advice I would give is to take lots of photos/video along the way so that you remember how everything goes back together. It would have saved me a lot of time to have good quality photos of the 'before' state.

Nice work
beerchug.gif

Apr 19, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #62 of 85
Thanks!

Btw, I ordered the HM5 replacement pads based on your earlier post, so thanks for that, too. People seem to write not very good things about mp4nation's shipping, so I guess it'll be a while before I see them.

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #63 of 85
Quote:
Thanks!

Btw, I ordered the HM5 replacement pads based on your earlier post, so thanks for that, too. People seem to write not very good things about mp4nation's shipping, so I guess it'll be a while before I see them.

If I remember correct the free shipping from the were pretty slow yes.

I've bought a copule of other things from them with free express shipping (promotion) and it arrived in Norway in a couple of days.

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #64 of 85
I guess mp4nation is getting better about their free shipping- they mailed my package 5 days ago, and it looks like it's headed to the US as of yesterday. Much faster than I expected- I'm looking forward to seeing them in person.

Quote:
If I remember correct the free shipping from the were pretty slow yes.

May 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #66 of 85
@sinquito

I wouldn't say it doesn't last long. I had mine for about a year and it still works fine. I can't see it breaking unless you force yourself to break  it

May 7, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #67 of 85
ZX700 build quality is very good at current prices ($76 @Amazon as of May 2013)
IMO, the ZX700's have solid build quality for their price range, so please don't let that dissuade you from trying them out. Also, structural parts (headband, ear cups, bales, etc.) are very good, and can be disassembled relatively easily- handy if you ever want to replace wires. Compared to peers in this price range, like the fragile Creative Aurvana Live, the Sony's are built like tanks.

However, based on the repairs I did, I think that the ZX700 has a design flaw in how wires are routed internally in the headband. There are a bunch of questionable 90 degree turns that rubbed the plastic tubing and exposed the signal and ground wires. Not sure if problems are common, but I can see those turns causing lots of issues.

Comparison with Audio Technica M50's.
I recently repaired a set of ATH m50's and I think that they're trickier to fix than the sonys, mostly because of an annoying circlip in the arms (see pingupenguin's excellent deconstruction write-up for more details). Personally, I'd say go with the headphones that are most comfortable to your ears (ZX700 has shallow cups), and whose sound signature you most like. Trying to predict the lifespan of most headphones will be a crapshoot.

If I was in your position, I think I'd get the ZX700s and order a pair of brainwavz hm5 ear pads. Together they're still cheaper than the m50s, and I find the zx700s to be a lot less fatiguing. The HM5 pads also take care of the 'shallow cup' issue. Win win win!

Quote:
So the ZX700 isn't built to last eh? I was dead set to buy it as an upgrade to my AKG 518 LE, but I guess I will keep searching. Maybe those AT M50 everyone seems to like.

May 7, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #68 of 85

HossDelgado 

They look great and lately I've been using a lot of Sony products, so I guess it would have made a good buy, and I can get it relatively cheap on ebay (the zx701ip model that is) and to be honest I've been eyeing those for a while, unfortunately since I am a international buyer, I am a bit concerned about longevity since warranty wouldn't work for me. In the end I streched my budget a bit and got the V-moda M80 for 185 shipped to Mexico from Amazon, and considering that those are among the best portable headphones I think I made the right decision. Anyway thanks for the comment, and probably if I can find a pair of Z1000 in a reasonable price, I might get it in the future, they look awesome.

May 8, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #69 of 85
@sinquito

Congrats on the V moda m80s. I don't know much about the brand so i'd be interested to hear your impressions. The 2 year warranty on the m80s is impressive- is it valid in Mexcio, too? Build quality seems rock solid.

May 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #70 of 85
Quote:
@sinquito

Congrats on the V moda m80s. I don't know much about the brand so i'd be interested to hear your impressions. The 2 year warranty on the m80s is impressive- is it valid in Mexcio, too? Build quality seems rock solid.

Thanks, I'm pretty sure that the warranty on any product bought in the US it's unvalid outside of the States, so no, I guess that the 2 year warranty wouldn't work for me, but I've read that the build quality is like a tank so that must count for something. Maybe I will post something in this thread by |joker| http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-107-portable-headphones-reviewed-astrotec-as-100hd-as-200hd-added-12-02-12

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #73 of 85
On the subject of buid quality another member noticed me mention my ZX700s broke and pm'd me to ask what happened. I'll just recycle my reply here:

"It's the wire which routes through the headband and into the right earcup at the earcup hinge. Every time the earcups move on the hinge the internal part of the hinge can pinch the wire just inside the earcup. The wire is very thin and eventually it split. Superficially the headphones seem nicely designed and made but disassemble the earcups and the headband you can see the nice design and choice of materials doesn't extend to the stuff you're not supposed to see. The main non-detachable cable seems good and durable but the wire through to the right driver is the thinnest of any headphone or earbud or IEM I have ever owned, even the very cheapest, and the way it routes through the earcup hinge invites damage."

The "my right driver stopped working" experience is too common with these. I have some brilliant Sony products which are well into their second decade of use and I might buy an MDR-V6 but I doubt I will ever buy another modern Sony product. The ZX700 might sound good when new but I would classify them only as junk because if you don't have the brains to care about your paying customer this is the kind of throwaway crap you bring to the market.

Aug 27, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #74 of 85
I have the same issue. After taking good care of them for about 1.5 years, the right channel goes silent. Not happy, looks like I'll have to get my soldering iron out!

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #75 of 85
  ZX700 build quality is very good at current prices ($76 @Amazon as of May 2013)
IMO, the ZX700's have solid build quality for their price range, so please don't let that dissuade you from trying them out. Also, structural parts (headband, ear cups, bales, etc.) are very good, and can be disassembled relatively easily- handy if you ever want to replace wires. Compared to peers in this price range, like the fragile Creative Aurvana Live, the Sony's are built like tanks.

However, based on the repairs I did, I think that the ZX700 has a design flaw in how wires are routed internally in the headband. There are a bunch of questionable 90 degree turns that rubbed the plastic tubing and exposed the signal and ground wires. Not sure if problems are common, but I can see those turns causing lots of issues.

Comparison with Audio Technica M50's.
I recently repaired a set of ATH m50's and I think that they're trickier to fix than the sonys, mostly because of an annoying circlip in the arms (see pingupenguin's excellent deconstruction write-up for more details). Personally, I'd say go with the headphones that are most comfortable to your ears (ZX700 has shallow cups), and whose sound signature you most like. Trying to predict the lifespan of most headphones will be a crapshoot.

If I was in your position, I think I'd get the ZX700s and order a pair of brainwavz hm5 ear pads. Together they're still cheaper than the m50s, and I find the zx700s to be a lot less fatiguing. The HM5 pads also take care of the 'shallow cup' issue. Win win win!

Sorry to revive the thread for this reason, but it must be said that changing the earpads would definitely change the sound quality, and in the case of your suggestion, quite significantly.  I don't think these headphones were even remotely designed to work with the kind of earpads such as on the HM5s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back